Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HDTV time for me at last!

The stars have reached a propitious alignment and it's time for the Elf to upgrade to HDTV -- your thoughts and advice, please.

I don't have the cutting edge requirements (or cash) of a Sir Terence, but I do want good performance and good value at the present SOTA. Here are the components I'm thinking of (pending your advice). All prices CAN to which add Harmonized Sales Tax ; see links:
    I'm leaning to the cheaper TV and pricer AVR. The worst of these choices, maybe, is that the Panny BRP doesn't play SACD and the Onkyos don't have discrete .51 analog inputs.

Nice choices either way. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Nice choices either way. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these.
    Thanks for the reassurance, GM.

Like I suggested, I'm a little bothered about loosing the multi-channel SACD capability. I have my old Sony SACD player, but neither Onkyo has 5.1 analog inputs. So I'd consider an alternative AVR in the same price range.

I have no input on your gear selection but you should pick up a calibration disk such as this one http://www.videoessentials.com/products_main.php. I have friends with brand new Plasmas and LCDs and they say my calibrated picture (4 year old LCD) is a lot better than their uncalibrated picture.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

You should try and see if you can get a second hand AVR. I just scored a Denon AVR-1803 for 110$ US
    Have fun hunting!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    First, this day must be the day that hell just froze over....It is about dang time!

Feanor, I wish I could talk you into getter the more expensive panny. It uses the same panel that the Pioneer Kuro is sourced from. That means great blacks, and excellent contrast.

You cannot go wrong with the Onkyo receivers. Auddyssey set up and processing is a real gem, and it works like a charm.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    I have no input on your gear selection but you should pick up a calibration disk such as this one http://www.videoessentials.com/products_main.php. I have friends with brand new Plasmas and LCDs and they say my calibrated picture (4 year old LCD) is a lot better than their uncalibrated picture.
    Sounds like a good call, LDB. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Feanor, I wish I could talk you into getter the more expensive panny. It uses the same panel that the Pioneer Kuro is sourced from. That means great blacks, and excellent contrast.
    Hummm ... maybe so then, Sir T. With your advice I can't go wrong.

Oppo Bdp-80

I'm giving some serious though to going with the lower priced Oppo for the SACD capability ... see here.

But my last Oppo broke (just out of warranty) and I don't like the prospect of having to return defective product across borders. Plus it would run me a good deal more cash than the aforementioned Panasonic.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Feanor, I have pretty much the same setup that you are looking at. Model numbers differ because of purchase time. I did go for the Onkyo TX-SR705 which does have the analog 5.1 inputs and the phono input. I have a Denon SACD/DVD-A plugged into my 5.1 inputs so I kind of lucked out on that one. Love the Panny plasma. Great picture and my room is pretty much on the dark side of the house, so I don't have to worry about sunlight on the screen. You've made fine choices, Sir T has taught you well young Skywalker.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Wow, congrats!

As T mentioned, the higher Panny model uses the newer NeoPDP panel. Aside from superior contrast, that panel also uses less energy and has a better anti-glare coating.

As with all HDTVs, it's essential that you do a calibration on the settings. The factory settings on TVs are all over the place, and you want to start from a consistent reference point. On the Pannys, I've found that the best picture quality is from the Cinema mode. It's not as bright as the other settings, but it's the most accurate and it renders absolutely breathtaking picture quality with film-based sources.

As for the receiver, I'm surprised that the new Onkyos lack multichannel analog inputs. As someone who still plays SACDs, that's a deal killer for me. I just checked the midrange receivers from Denon and Yamaha, and all of them still have multichannel analog inputs. My understanding is that the Yamahas in Canada are a lot less expensive than the Denons, so you might want to take a look.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    Wow, congrats!

As T mentioned, the higher Panny model uses the newer NeoPDP panel. Aside from superior contrast, that panel also uses less energy and has a better anti-glare coating.

As with all HDTVs, it's essential that you do a calibration on the settings. The factory settings on TVs are all over the place, and you want to start from a consistent reference point. On the Pannys, I've found that the best picture quality is from the Cinema mode. It's not as bright as the other settings, but it's the most accurate and it renders absolutely breathtaking picture quality with film-based sources.

As for the receiver, I'm surprised that the new Onkyos lack multichannel analog inputs. As someone who still plays SACDs, that's a deal killer for me. I just checked the midrange receivers from Denon and Yamaha, and all of them still have multichannel analog inputs. My understanding is that the Yamahas in Canada are a lot less expensive than the Denons, so you might want to take a look.
    Great input, Wooch. Thanks.

For starters I'll be sure to use Cinema mode; high brightness isn't an issue with me since the set will be in below grade room with minimal light from windows.

Yes, I'll check out the Denons and Yamahas. A quick check I did of the Denons in my price range seemed to indicate that they too lacked 5.1 analog inputs, but I'll double check them as well as the Yamahas.

Wah?????

(Worf stumbles to the computer whiping sleep and spittle from his eyes and mouth)

WTF????
    Feanor's asking WHAT?
    He's gonna buy WHAT!!!!!

(Worf dials NSA headquarters in an undisclosed location)
    "Yeah, it's started. Yeah a real die-hard luddite friend of mine just said he's a going Hi Def. Yeah, real 22nd Century stuff. Yep, last week he was using home made candles and churning butter by hand. Yeah, I'll coordinate with local authorities and start looking for pods and sech. Out."

Hey man in all honesty, welcome aboard. I get to live the thrill of HT discovery al over again. I'm no expert on the panels you mentioned but your choice of HT Receiver's seems good. I echo AA's comments about a late model receiver. You could get a "6" or a "7" series Onkyo that'll do everything the current ones do for a lot less coin. Check the Bay. Welcome to the wonderful world of HT and I expect reviews and stories posthaste.

Worf.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    The stars have reached a propitious alignment and it's time for the Elf to upgrade to HDTV -- your thoughts and advice, please.

I don't have the cutting edge requirements (or cash) of a Sir Terence, but I do want good performance and good value at the present SOTA. Here are the components I'm thinking of (pending your advice). All prices CAN to which add Harmonized Sales Tax ; see links:
    I'm leaning to the cheaper TV and pricer AVR. The worst of these choices, maybe, is that the Panny BRP doesn't play SACD and the Onkyos don't have discrete .51 analog inputs.
    nobody has the moolah of talky, probably not even talky.
    You seem determined to buy plasma, so good luck.
    Its a good idea to emphasize the AVR.
    And congrats, about time you got off your azz and "sprung" into action.
    You will see what BLU devotees are screaming about, and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

The DEED is DONE

Thanks for you comments and advice, everyone. What I got is pretty much what I proposed:
    • TV, 50" plasma, Panasonic TCP50S2, that is, the better TV with Panny's NeoPDP technology, (as advised by Sir T & Wooch).
    • BRP: Panasonic DMPBD65
    • AVR: Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR508, i.e that lessor receiver, but with the Audyssey system.
    All looks great (so far). The Audyssey system is amaaazzzzing -- fantastic results beyond my expectation.

A disappointment is with the Panny BRP: despite being DLNA certified and having "network capability", it is not a network media player with LAN access as I hoped. The noted capabilities are only used to enable access to commercial, pay-per-view services which I'll probably never use.

Other than that, as anticipated, I don't get any SACD capability. To gripe about it once again, My older Oppo 980H ought to provide that via an HDMI PCM steam, but the unit quit recognizing SACD discs a while ago, (FPMO).

My first Blu-ray discs: Avatar, (per family request), and Chronicles of Riddick, (a favorite rewatcher of mine; I love the Art Noveau/High Rennaissance style theme). I'm really looking forward to getting some operas and classical music in the BR format, such as this one reviewed by Sir Terrence ...

Congrats....

I'm glad you're relatively happy with your purchases and sech. I'm guessing set-up was a breeze. What speakers are you using with your HT? When the house screening party?

Worf

So ...

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101
    I'm glad you're relatively happy with your purchases and sech. I'm guessing set-up was a breeze. What speakers are you using with your HT? When the house screening party?

Worf
    My HT setup is now as follows ...

Sources:
    = Panasonic Blu-ray, DMP-BD65, via HDMI to AVR
    = Bell ExpressVu non-HD satIllite receiver connected directly to the TV via composite & analog audio, and audio via Toslink to AVR
    = Oppo 980H universal player for DVD-A, (SACD is broken), via HDMI to AVR
    = Sony VHS VCR, (really old)

Receiver:
    = Onkyo TX-SR 508 7.1 with Audyssey EQ

Monitor:
    = Pansonic TC-P50S2 50" plasma TV

Speakers:
    = Fronts: Paradym MiniMonitor, V.3
    = Center: DIY: Bohlender-Graebener Neo3W planar tweeter + Vifa_MG18SK09-04 mid bass in vented cabinet
    = Rears: Boston A60
    = Subwoofer: PSB Sonic 6 12", vented.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Sorry I was AWOL while this was going on Bill Bailey. It looks like you made some great choices...I'm a staunch Onkyo fan and I've seen that particular Panny plasma and it's a winner. Good show, sir!

Happy viewing...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Suspended
    I'm late to the game too, but that's only because I don't like you. Just kidding!

A couple of things albiet probably a moot point now:

There has been some discussion on the AVS forums about a certain line of 2010 Panny Plasma's that have an issue with what they're calling "floating blacks", which seems to manifest itself when a particular feature of the TV is active (don't remember the name of the feature, sounds gimmicky in any event) That discussion is part of, as usual, a very long thread that probably describes it, but I didn't read into it that far. Maybe Wooch or Sir T can elaborate.

The other thing is, I have a problem with my Oppo 980 where, after I've played one SACD and then load another, the disk plays but there's no audio. This has been a problem since day one; there are no s/w upgrades that address this, so I'm left with cycling power as the only means of getting the audio back. I should've called Oppo, but I didn't really feel like dealing with shipping and all that. Plus, I have maybe four SACD's anyway. Your problem with your Oppo though sounds like it was pretty much a fatal event, so take it FWIW. Anyway, welcome to HDTV Bill, especially with that Plasma. Very good choice overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Worf
    (Worf stumbles to the computer whiping sleep and spittle from his eyes and mouth)
    TMI TMI!

Worf, do you drool in your sleep? I do. I go through a LOT of pillows.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm late to the game too, but that's only because I don't like you. Just kidding!

There has been some discussion on the AVS forums about a certain line of 2010 Panny Plasma's that have an issue with what they're calling "floating blacks", which seems to manifest itself when a particular feature of the TV is active (don't remember the name of the feature, sounds gimmicky in any event) That discussion is part of, as usual, a very long thread that probably describes it, but I didn't read into it that far. Maybe Wooch or Sir T can elaborate.

The other thing is, I have a problem with my Oppo 980 where, after I've played one SACD and then load another, the disk plays but there's no audio. This has been a problem since day one; there are no s/w upgrades that address this, so I'm left with cycling power as the only means of getting the audio back. I should've called Oppo, but I didn't really feel like dealing with shipping and all that. Plus, I have maybe four SACD's anyway. Your problem with your Oppo though sounds like it was pretty much a fatal event, so take it FWIW. Anyway, welcome to HDTV Bill, especially with that Plasma. Very good choice overall.
    TMI TMI!

Also when you're awake.
    So which Plasma are you going to get?
    Or were you just talking A positive?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

There is such a thing as too much information Rich. This just might fall into that catagory.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    There is such a thing as too much information Rich. This just might fall into that catagory.
    Uh...yes. Betwixt that, the habanero flatulence, and the gym socks hung on the curtain rod it's amazing the womenfolk of Texas aren't beating down the door...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Thanks for you comments and advice, everyone. What I got is pretty much what I proposed:
    • TV, 50" plasma, Panasonic TCP50S2, that is, the better TV with Panny's NeoPDP technology, (as advised by Sir T & Wooch).
    • BRP: Panasonic DMPBD65
    • AVR: Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR508, i.e that lessor receiver, but with the Audyssey system.
    All looks great (so far). The Audyssey system is amaaazzzzing -- fantastic results beyond my expectation.

A disappointment is with the Panny BRP: despite being DLNA certified and having "network capability", it is not a network media player with LAN access as I hoped. The noted capabilities are only used to enable access to commercial, pay-per-view services which I'll probably never use.

Other than that, as anticipated, I don't get any SACD capability. To gripe about it once again, My older Oppo 980H ought to provide that via an HDMI PCM steam, but the unit quit recognizing SACD discs a while ago, (FPMO).

My first Blu-ray discs: Avatar, (per family request), and Chronicles of Riddick, (a favorite rewatcher of mine; I love the Art Noveau/High Rennaissance style theme). I'm really looking forward to getting some operas and classical music in the BR format, such as this one reviewed by Sir Terrence ...

You have made me a very proud cubarican Feanor, very good choice of equipment. Do get that disc, it is very very good as you can tell from my review.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Sorry I was AWOL while this was going on Bill Bailey. It looks like you made some great choices...I'm a staunch Onkyo fan and I've seen that particular Panny plasma and it's a winner. Good show, sir!

Happy viewing...
    Thanks, 'Sticks. So far I'm really enjoying the setup as is my wife. No problems at this point.

TMI TMI!

Rich, fortunately I haven't see the 'floating blacks' problem -- touch wood.

Your 980H problems reinforce my suspicions with Oppo. Plus I have the 'cross border issue with Oppo, which isn't so much a purchase as a subsequent service problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information