AR Newbie Registered Member

Please Help - Which amp on Home Theatre

Hello everybody,
    I recently discoverd this interesting forum
    I am currently playing 2 channel stereo.
    The amplifier is a Denon PMA 2000R and Speakers B&W CDM9NT, now the 703.
    I want to upgrade to a home theatre with speakers from the same range but the problem is the the amplifier (and maybe a subwoofer)

I read a lot about the Denon AVR 3805 but a dealer advised the Rotel RSX 1056, because that might sound better....

So I really need advice about which amplifier to choose...

Thanks in advance !!

Which amp

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateAudioFan
    Hello everybody,
    I recently discoverd this interesting forum
    I am currently playing 2 channel stereo.
    The amplifier is a Denon PMA 2000R and Speakers B&W CDM9NT, now the 703.
    I want to upgrade to a home theatre with speakers from the same range but the problem is the the amplifier (and maybe a subwoofer)

I read a lot about the Denon AVR 3805 but a dealer advised the Rotel RSX 1056, because that might sound better....

So I really need advice about which amplifier to choose...

Thanks in advance !!
    Are looking for amp or receiver ?Denon AVR 3805 and ROTEL RSX 1056 are surround sound receiver.You could also look at the YAMAHA RXV1500 and RXV2500 Also the Harman Kardon AVR 435 ,AVR 635 .Subwoofer there the Paradigm or Energy and also Dahlquist . Pat.P

I'm confused, did you sell your 9NT's and buy 703's or are you just listing the 703's as a reference point? I'm asking because one of the design parameters for the 700 series was to make them easier to drive than the CDM NT range. While they have succeeded to some degree, TAS believes you should still avoid OTL designs with the new 700's.

Either way, don't buy the Denon. I've tried moving from a separates based two channel rig to HT using a 3803 and full CDM 7NT, CNT, 1NT rig and achieved only middling results. The sound was fine for HT but music was completely lacking. All of the bloom and life had been sucked out. Bottom line is the Denon doesn't have the gravitas to properly drive the the B&W's, especially all 5 at once. The 3805 is a terrific HT receiver but if you take your music repro seriously, and it appears you do, you'll find the Rotel a better match.

FWIW, I'd seriously consider going the pre/pro & multichannel amp route if at all possible (check used at audiogon.com). It may take a bit longer to piece your rig together, but in the long run I think you'll be much happier.

Hope this helps.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanx for the advice !!

@ Topspeed
    I didn't sell the CDM 9NT, I still have them and play two channel stereo with them.
    I mentioned it because B&W has replaced the CDM9NT with the 703 with little changes, thus as you stated as a reference point

Greetz

Forum Regular

Music & movies

I know that my ht amp (HKavr5550) has a function where by it by passes all other processing etc when played in 2 channel mode. The stereo WPC in bumped to 85 as apose to 75 in 5.1 mode. I am not sure if there are many other ht amps with similar features around.
    If its right in my mind. Any hole IS a goal. Wharfedale should not exist. if god is a dj then i am a dancefloor.

Thread Information