View Poll Results: Which one will go down in flames?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • HD DVD

6 16.67%
  • Blu-Ray

18 50.00%
  • Neither

8 22.22%
  • Both

4 11.11%
  • We already had this thread you dolt.

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HDDVD or BluRay

Forum Regular
    right now they handle standard dvds and upconvert the std dvds as well. why should not a combi player not do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    Coin flip, really.
    agree

Forum Regular
    I don't think dual format players are a good idea at all.This war will be decided by the studios and movie rental companies,it is in all of their best interests for their to be only one high def dvd format.Even with multi players,studios will only want to produce one format,and the fewer formats a rental store needs to stock the better for them.Universal players did not save the high rez audio formats and there is no reason to think they would be any more successful with video.

bill

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I didn't know they were more $$. I really haven't been tracking any prices. I do like the idea of enjoying the DVD version, since I don't own a HD player yet, while having the HD version for later. Although I can get DVD's for dirt cheap, I don't like the idea of buying DVD titles that I may want on HD one day.
    I remember those combo packs costing about $5-$10 more. Not a bad premium if you're pretty sure that you intend to get a HD-DVD player in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    I don't think dual format players are a good idea at all.This war will be decided by the studios and movie rental companies,it is in all of their best interests for their to be only one high def dvd format.Even with multi players,studios will only want to produce one format,and the fewer formats a rental store needs to stock the better for them.Universal players did not save the high rez audio formats and there is no reason to think they would be any more successful with video.
    Unfortunately, I think we're long past the time for compromises. The hardware's already on the market, titles have been announced, and both camps have further entrenched their positions. Either one format will win out in the market, or these technical band-aids like dual-format players and discs will render the format war moot.

The situation with the high res audio formats was very different. The movie studios are a lot more committed to concurrent releases than the record companies ever were, and the emergence of HDMI bypasses a lot of the inane copy protection restrictions that hampered SACD and DVD-A.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Will any of the HD players also play std DVD's as well? Or will we all need to have both to play our collections?
    both format players are susposed to be able to play old dvd's
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2CH: B&K PT3 s2, Anthem PVA-2, VonSchweikert VR-1
    Computer: Denon AVR 2805, Old Tecnic & Optimus Speakers
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    2002 Single Cab, 3" cornfed lift, 34"LTB & 31" AT's
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    The situation with the high res audio formats was very different. The movie studios are a lot more committed to concurrent releases than the record companies ever were, and the emergence of HDMI bypasses a lot of the inane copy protection restrictions that hampered SACD and DVD-A.
    I was under the impression a lot of new albums are being released in SACD with the normal CD layer...
    HT: Anthem AVM 50 / PVA-7; Focal JM Lab 4x Chorus 716 S, CC 700 S, 2x Chorus 706S; 2x 12s - Homebuilt Sub
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Will any of the HD players also play std DVD's as well? Or will we all need to have both to play our collections?
    *All* of them do. :-)

That said, both my Toshiba HD A1 HD DVD player and my new Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player both have had many problems playing regular DVD discs without any glitches. Quite frankly I may place my Denon 1600 back in my main system for DVD playing use as I am disatisfied with both for DVD use.

Oh yeah, the Sony and Pioneer Blu-ray units don't play CDs or VCDs.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Dave,

What's your Toshiba doing wrong with standard disks?

Ed

Both? You have both Blueray and HD-DVD?

HMPFTH....
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Both? You have both Blueray and HD-DVD?

HMPFTH....
    Sometimes you gotta just dive in head first

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Sometimes you gotta just dive in head first
    True, but into both pools?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock789
    I was under the impression a lot of new albums are being released in SACD with the normal CD layer...
    Nope. The lack of concurrent releases and the major labels failing to embrace the SACD/CD hybrid format for new releases have pretty much relegated the high res audio formats to niche status. DVD-A for a while did have some concurrent new releases, but nowadays the major labels are marketing them strictly as "bonus DVD" packs (e.g., the new Beatles Love remix was concurrently released in two versions).
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Nope. The lack of concurrent releases and the major labels failing to embrace the SACD/CD hybrid format for new releases have pretty much relegated the high res audio formats to niche status. DVD-A for a while did have some concurrent new releases, but nowadays the major labels are marketing them strictly as "bonus DVD" packs (e.g., the new Beatles Love remix was concurrently released in two versions).
    well that does suck
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    Dave,

What's your Toshiba doing wrong with standard disks?

Ed
    Same as my Sony... it has glitches that cause many standard DVDs (most often with older discs from minor manufacturers) to freeze briefly once or twice during playback (and not due to layer change). This has gotten better with firmware 2.0, but it is far from eliminated -- my Sony is equally bad, but adds a freeze due to layer change as well to the mix.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

True, but into both pools?
    True very expensive, but it allows me to play all available movies (as HD DVD and Blu-ray each have some studios that only support their respective formats).

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD

Office:

Both - Neither

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    Which one do you think is going to flop?
    Opps! I think I got your question reversed and voted 'Neither'.

Doesn't really matter from my perspective. I'm not a big video guy and I don't even own a TV that will take full advantage of DVD, (what's that? 480p?), let alone one of these hi-rez formats. My wife who love a big screen HDTV, but I ain't going to happen -- not a least 'till she gets her's out and gets job or my son starts paying back his college loans.

I think both will survive for a while, then perhaps be superceded by something(s) newer and better -- can't imagine what, admittedly. For me it's like Laserdisc: it came and went without any relevance to me.

I'm a bit more interested, on the audio side, with the survival of SACD. Oh, yes, I know the majority of people here at AR consider this a flop. But I say not (yet, anyway). Problem here is the musical taste of most participants -- I don't mean good or bad, just not classical music. SACD is alive and well in that genre though it is likely to remain a niche product and I'm fine with that.

Forum Regular
    I just bought a High-def (1080i) Sony Camcorder to find out that it only encodes in Blu-ray format. That is so Sony to force it's customers to buy their other products. I personally hope that Blu-Ray dies out and HD DVD takes over. Sony uses too many vices for today's educated consumer in my opinion, they tried to do this with BETA and good-will won over.

Die Blu-Ray.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I'm a bit more interested, on the audio side, with the survival of SACD. Oh, yes, I know the majority of people here at AR consider this a flop. But I say not (yet, anyway). Problem here is the musical taste of most participants -- I don't mean good or bad, just not classical music. SACD is alive and well in that genre though it is likely to remain a niche product and I'm fine with that.
    Cheers to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmz
    I just bought a High-def (1080i) Sony Camcorder to find out that it only encodes in Blu-ray format. That is so Sony to force it's customers to buy their other products. I personally hope that Blu-Ray dies out and HD DVD takes over. Sony uses too many vices for today's educated consumer in my opinion, they tried to do this with BETA and good-will won over.

Die Blu-Ray.
    For one thing, you didn't do your homework. You can't blame Sony for that. You also can't blame Sony for trying to build a consumer base. Do you think that Toshiba is going to manufacture products compatible with Blu-ray? Not on your life. Both sides want loyal customers. They may co-exist for the foreseeable future, but why would each side want to give the other one a leg up? Meanwhile, they are both at risk for low sales. But if they're willing to take that risk, how can you complain? If you hate Sony for being in the business of pushing Blu-ray, do your homework and don't buy products that depend on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmz

Die Blu-Ray.
    What model would that be? I checked online and couldn't find any Sony camcorder that encodes for Blu-ray. The only model I found that records to a removable disc in HD resolution uses DVD media, and can record in SD resolution if backwards compatibility with other players is an issue. And you don't need to buy any additional devices to play back on your HDTV. If you're looking for HD resolution and removable disc media, what other options are out there right now that you would rather see consumers purchase?

If you found out about limitations in the output capability only after you purchased the unit, whose fault is that?

Don't like how Sony designed the device, and want to support HD-DVD? Just return your camcorder and buy a HD-DVD player.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    For one thing, you didn't do your homework. You can't blame Sony for that. You also can't blame Sony for trying to build a consumer base. Do you think that Toshiba is going to manufacture products compatible with Blu-ray? Not on your life. Both sides want loyal customers. They may co-exist for the foreseeable future, but why would each side want to give the other one a leg up? Meanwhile, they are both at risk for low sales. But if they're willing to take that risk, how can you complain? If you hate Sony for being in the business of pushing Blu-ray, do your homework and don't buy products that depend on it.
    Agreed, and I am taking the camera back for a Canon HD camcorder that looks to be nearly as good. I just don't like the idea of having to upgrade not only my Home theater hardware, but my computer and software codecs as well. I haven't finalized this but knowing that I could take it back any time within 30 days, I plunged on the camera because of the insane boxing day sales here in Canada. Sometimes to get the best price, research has to come later, but never at the expense of a buyers remorse you can't escape.

I think it is true, however, that Sony has taken more agressive and drastic measures throughout history at pushing their products. Of course business is business and we live, for the most part, in a free-enterprise (now) world economy, and I can't fault Sony for any effort they make to build clientelle (even by obligation), however a backfire on a company so driven by profit motive is always bitter-sweet to me. If I remember correctly, the BETA/VHS war was won because Philips (if I'm remembering correctly) didn't demand exclusivity the way Sony did. I appreciate efforts to not only make a profit, but further advance technology for the human race. I think VHS was a just win in that regard.

Forum Regular
    What model would that be? I checked online and couldn't find any Sony camcorder that encodes for Blu-ray. The only model I found that records to a removable disc in HD resolution uses DVD media, and can record in SD resolution if backwards compatibility with other players is an issue. And you don't need to buy any additional devices to play back on your HDTV. If you're looking for HD resolution and removable disc media, what other options are out there right now that you would rather see consumers purchase?

If you found out about limitations in the output capability only after you purchased the unit, whose fault is that?

Don't like how Sony designed the device, and want to support HD-DVD? Just return your camcorder and buy a HD-DVD player.
    I'm glad I entered this thread because it's caused me to actually do some research (would have done before my return-deadline on the 26th). The camcorder is the HDRSR1 AVCHD. It's a 30GB hard disk camcorder. After the purchase I heard the bad news from a friend of mine who considered the same one. From the website it looks as though the device actually will record in standard definition (480p) for playback on computer/dvd. But it's only High-def format is Blu-ray. This isn't quite as sinister as I thought. The way it was described to me I thought you could only record in High-def Blu-ray, with no standard-def option, thus forcing the customer to buy hundreds of dollars of new equipment. I still may exchange for the Canon counterpart. We'll see.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think I'm going to wait until I don't have to decide: LG Electronics announced a player that'd play both at CES. It shouldn't be long before other manufacturers (Pioneer, Oppo) follow suit.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    I think I'm going to wait until I don't have to decide: LG Electronics announced a player that'd play both at CES. It shouldn't be long before other manufacturers (Pioneer, Oppo) follow suit.
    me too
    2004 KTM 200 SX
    2003 Spyder
    ONLINE PHOTO ALBUM

AR Newbie Registered Member
    b-ray will survive no matter which one succeeds people will need to change and don't give me people will hessitate to change as people will change eventually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information