Forum Regular

Pioneer DV-563A vs. DV-578A-S?????

Well I was looking to buy the 563 but can not seem to find it from and authorized dealer. How does it compare to the newer model, the 578?

Jason
    www.cajun-oil.com

I beleive the 578 took care of some of the quality issues of the 563, such as not being able to read many DVD-A discs and such.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I beleive the 578 took care of some of the quality issues of the 563, such as not being able to read many DVD-A discs and such.
    I have the 563A and for the price, (I paid US$99), its tough to beat. I haven't auditioned the 578 but reading various comments at different sites the general consensus is the 563 is better at audio and the 578 is better at video. This certainly should not be taken as fact, just a general opinion using a small sample.

As far as the 563 not playing certain discs, there is a firmware upgrade available which corrects this. Mine would not play Steely Dan's Gaucho, (a known problem). After the upgrade, I haven't found a DVD-A it won't play - yet.

The 563's are getting tougher to find since they're not being manufactured any longer. Look on eBay, or check Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. My local CC had open box specials for US$88 a couple weeks ago. My guess is they were returns by people not being able to play certain DVD-A's (Gaucho, etc - firmware),. Perhaps CC didn't know about the firmware upgrades either. Wouldn't surprise me.

Forum Regular
    Thanks both of you. I actually eneded up ordering the Phillips DVD795SA. It looked pretty good from the reviews on this site. I had read something about some quality control issues with the Pioneer DVD players. But if I do not like it I will give the 563 or 578 a try.

Thanks,

Jason
    www.cajun-oil.com

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I've heard the 578a has the exact same guts as the 563a with a few upgrades in the firmware and video sections...hence the consensus I've seen is that the audio is equal to, or better than the 563a. From hearing them the other day, I can certainly say it's not worse, but I didn't really hear any improvements in sound either.
    I think either of these would be a solid budget player for someone...

Forum Regular
    From everything I've read, I don't think the 578 has the same guts as the 563. Also from everything I've read, they both are excellent value. Read on:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...9/Main/648420/

http://www.audioholics.com/forums/pr...p?t=2907&pp=40

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/56777.html

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hey, Hawkeye, that's a good heads up on the new player...seems lots of budget units do that PCM conversion thing for SACD's.

Whether it translates into real world audible difference remains to be seen...I couldn't tell, but we used the multi channel track, not the hi-rez...I suppose if you're really fussy you'd want to avoid it.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Toshiba's new combo player, SD-4960? Heard anything about it?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Whether it translates into real world audible difference remains to be seen...I couldn't tell
    kexodusc, I think you hit the nail on the head. If you can't tell (if it converts DSD to PCM) does it really matter? I know my "Veteran Cosmic Rockin" ears probably can't tell either

The only comment I've heard on the SD-4960 is a big plus for the audio side and a slight minus on the video side. No personal experience though, sorry.

Thread Information