Forum Regular

Upgrading HT speakers from high school...

I've been out of college for about 5 years but I'm still using my old JBL speakers I got in high school for HT. I recently picked up a new receiver (Onkyo Tx-SR600 85x6), a 12 inch subwoofer (Polk 450), and a five disk progressive scan DVD/CD player (Sony DVP-NC665P). I'd like to upgrade my speakers as well starting with just the fronts and center channel.

- The room is 12 by 16 and carpeted
    - I don't care if the fronts are towers or bookshelf (with speaker stands)
    - The budget is 600 - 900 (for 3 speakers; 2 front and 1 center)
    - I only listen to music 10-15% of the time

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Forum Regular
    You could get all five if you chose to. For example:

Rocket ELT - $797 + shipping (no sub)
    nOrh 4.0 video package either in wood or ceramic - $850 delivered
    Ascend Acoustics Model S23-2000 system - $872 delivered
    Magnepan MMG W and MMG C - $897 plus shipping

Front three:
    Axiom M40ti mains and VP150 center - $840 (unsure about shipping)
    Shamrock Audio Eilish (3) - $749 plus shipping (check Shamrock's forum on either their website or audiocircle.com)

Of course, all that is without knowing what your present speakers are.

Forum Regular
    I'm at work so I don't know the specific model of the JBLs but I have two towers, a center channel, and two small bookshelf rears.

Thanks for the links. I hadn't even heard of some of those companies. Would you also include Aperion in your list (direct sell company)?

Forum Regular
    That I would. I am a fan of the direct sell companies as I have nOrh speakers. Would have included the Rocket RS550 and their 200 center but, unfortunately, that is outside of your price range.

What is missing from the JBLs to want you to change them? (Out of curiousity.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    That I would. I am a fan of the direct sell companies as I have nOrh speakers. Would have included the Rocket RS550 and their 200 center but, unfortunately, that is outside of your price range.

What is missing from the JBLs to want you to change them? (Out of curiousity.)
    Bryan this goes back to the thread on the speaker forum..You have listed no less than 5 Internet direct speakers for yeti2003 to audition.By the time he ships 4 back he may have a buget of 200$ left..Its gonna burn him a new one..
    Yeti go out to some shops and listen to as much as you can..Here is some you may want to listen to..BB Athena,Paradigm,B&W,Mission,Vandersteen,PSB,Monitor Audio,BA,Klispch,Polk lsi,Dynaudio,Im sure others can give you brands to listen to but thats a start..I could tell you what I like but you have to live with them not me.Take your time and listen to as many as possible..

Forum Regular
    All I did was list five or six possibilities. I do not expect him to try out every brand. Rather, look into those and see what the owners of those speakers enjoy listening to. What they have now and what they auditioned. One excellent thing is typically the owners of those companies are forthright and will tell you if what they have will work for you or if you should look elsewhere. He can also see if anyone in his area has them and is willing to let him audition those speakers. Do alot of research ahead of time and then make the purchasing decision.

If he enjoys a different looking speaker and will be using it primarily for HT, the nOrh 4.0 package would be right up his alley. If he prefers a more contemporary box speaker that is black look into the Ascends. To save floor space, look into Magnepan. The ELT is another HT package but comes in red. Axiom offers him a floor standing option. With Shamrock they are wood veneered but fairly new and should do well for HT and music. No dedicated center, however. Basically, there is a way of narrowing things down even before trying to audiotion and all these are are possibilities.

Forum Regular
    Ok, I looked at Paradigm, Polk, Klipsch, and B&W at local stores.

Of all those speakers, I think I liked the Paradigms the best (Titans with CC-170 center channel) although the B&Ws were damn nice but too expensive.

I'm also considering trying the online route to see if I can get more bang for my buck. Based on some online research, I'm down to trying out the Aperions or the Rocket ELTs.

Does anyone own either of these speakers and have an honest opinion about them? Thanks!

Forum Regular
    Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the Aperion's for the front and center speakers. Once I get them and break them in a little, I'll write a review and post back. Worse case is if I don't like them then I'll return them (and Aperion pays the shipping). Wish me luck.

Forum Regular
    Hope you enjoy the Aperions. They should be excellent speakers. I've started the process of upgrading my HT. My mains will become the Rocket RS550s.

Forum Regular
    I think that the Paradigm Performance series are hard to beat for the money

Suspended
    All I have to say is, IT's ABOUT TIME!

AR Newbie Registered Member

can vouch for paradigm

My speakers for my home thearter consists of all paradigm .
    allthough my days of listening to loud music are pretty much a thing of the past but i focused mainly on home thearter and movies. i am running a dennon 3801 receiver with 7.1
    surround i am happy with the paradigm but if i had to do it all over again for my listening pleasure i have found klipch to be a speaker to which i would go with. my point in general i suppose is you cant go wrong with either choice you make. i feel allthough the paradigm is a nice smooth easy listening sound it does however lack the punch when needed as you will find the klipsh can provide.

Thread Information