Forum Regular

Hd Dvd Or Blue Ray

Will one of these fade out soon. I have the xbox 360 and want to get HD DVD connection for it, I was going to get it and a couple best buy salesmantold me that HD DVD Blue Ray is like beta vs vhs and one of them is going to fold soon. And that it was a risky investment.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    True.
    Look & Listen

Sony has done a much better job marketing the blue-ray than they did with the beta. having Sony attemting to monopolize on the beta player, which inevitably failed, but with blue ray they have given other companies such as samsung a chance to use blue-ray as well.

But DVD should'nt be disapearing anytime soon either.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mphs68
    Will one of these fade out soon. I have the xbox 360 and want to get HD DVD connection for it, I was going to get it and a couple best buy salesmantold me that HD DVD Blue Ray is like beta vs vhs and one of them is going to fold soon. And that it was a risky investment.
    Hey, would ya look at that, a salesman who told the truth, for a change.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Here's a thought. Since this is an enthusiast's site, I would think that members would like to see hi def DVD become established. But we have a peculiar habit of factoring ourselves out of the equation when considering the plight of new formats, as if being mere observers of what the rest of the world does has no affect on the outcome. If people don't take an active interest in deciding the fate of HD DVD and/or Blu-ray, the status quo will either continue indefinitely or hi def on disk will fail, at least for a while. Those who believe that something new would take over without competition are probably in for a rude awakening. No single format has ever enjoyed the privilege of dominating a new technology from the outset by itself. If you don't believe me, check out the origins of TV, both in black and white and in color. It was never a smooth transition and never a sure thing.

Without early adopters, neither hi def camp would have come even this far. Not acting at all may be a risky investment for enthusiasts, at least insofar as the survival of the best form of audio and video on disk is concerned. No one can tell other people how to spend their money, especially on a leisure pursuit like A/V, but those of us who like this game to evolve, and can afford helping it along from time to time, will do so. If enough people are indifferent or actively opposed to it, however, it will die, and the only ones with the right to complain are the disappointed participants. For those of you who might not have had the experience, hi def on disk--in both video and audio--is a revelation. The marketplace can be a complicated and messy affair, but cutting off our nose to spite our face won't prove anything. In the end, for better or worse, you get what you pay for.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    I dont remember cds having much trouble when they first came out but i could be wrong. I also seem to remember people couldnt buy VHS fast enough. TV came out in a time whem people didnt have the money for something like that,not as much being something new although with any music format,we have had that for a long time but tv was something you watched,a first of its kind.
    Look & Listen

The capability of drawing pictures on a TV screen predated any sort of implementation by many years. Then, the competition between rival schemes delayed universal adoption for some time afterward. Nearly the same thing happened when color became feasible. For various reasons, new technologies tend to meet with public inertia for varying amounts of time, but sometimes manufacturing wars can be a major problem, too. It's hard to make sure-fire predictions about what will happen under all conditions, but the relative indifference and ignorance of the general public about hi def even on TV for many years seem to place the burden of hi def DVD on a small group of enthusiasts. CD and DVD as unified digital manufacturing fronts replacing analog systems didn't face the same problems.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

My Money is on HD-DVD

Quote Originally Posted by mphs68
    One, it's cheaper. HD-DVD players are now under $400, and the software is cheaper by nearly a third compared to BlueRay. For those who thought the PS3 would flood the market with BlueRay players it seems you were mistaken. The SONY PS3 rollout was a debacle of major proportions. Don't expect to see a PS3 for sale at anywhere near it's inflated base price anytime soon. And don't expect a Blue Ray player for under $600 anytime soon either.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    I dont remember cds having much trouble when they first came out
    That's because all the manufacturers were agreed on one standard format, unlike CD-4, vs. QS vs. SQ for quad in the 70's, The various AM stereo formats in the 70s, VHS vs Beta in the 70's, SACD vs. DVD-Audio more recently, etc, etc...

Also, CDs provided a significant convenience and, arguably, an audiable improvement over records and tape so Joe Sixpack loved that as well.

Forum Regular
    i think we also have to remember hdtvs are still not that popular across the world. yes, there are many many more households that have hdtv compared to last year or the year before; however, the average joe doesn't even probably know about hddvd or blu-ray yet.

i would like to see data that states how many hdtvs are in households compared to sdtvs. hdtvs still have to be pretty low in the big scheme of things, right? i think as we find hdtv prices falling (as we have been) and cable/satellite companies broadcasting almost everything in hd, then finally maybe hddvds and blu-ray start making some noise.

just look at all the sd dvds that were gobbled up on black friday. the average person is pretty happy with their sdtv and dvds at a cheap price.

this is interesting and i can see it turning into the modern day beta vs. vhs- one big difference though: there was pretty much nothing before beta/vhs; nothing to beta/vhs is definitely a bigger difference than sd dvd to hddvd/blu-ray.

my $.02.

Thread Information