Thread: HD antenna?

Forum Regular

HD antenna?

I've read that HD tv's with HD tuners built in can receive some HD broadcasts with an antenna...is this true or did I mix something up?
    If it is...
    What kind of antenna would I need and does anyone know how it could get connected if my cable is run thru a standard tivo?

Quote Originally Posted by gbelous
    I've read that HD tv's with HD tuners built in can receive some HD broadcasts with an antenna...is this true or did I mix something up?
    This is true but depends on what your local stations broadcast.

You need an "ASTC" tuner to receiver digital television broadcasts. All HD broadcasts are done via digital TV but not all digital TV broadcasts are HD. See what I'm saying here?
    I
    What kind of antenna would I need and does anyone know how it could get connected if my cable is run thru a standard tivo?
    You simply need a UHF antenns,. Anything else they say is pure hype. I'm getting fantastic digital TV reception* with a 35 year old rooftop antenna.

Dunno about the TIVO but I doubt it'll be of any use for OTA signals, but I could be wrong here. You're most likely better off connecting it directly to your TV antenna inputs.

* 32 digital TV stations OTA, seven of which are HD, Prior to digital TV I got 10 analog stations

Forum Regular
    Okay, makes sense. I just don't know how I'd hook that up thru the tivo so I can record anything.
    I also looked on antennaweb.org and they only show one HD channel in my area...PBS. not worth it.

don't knock HD PBS, they may not show the most entertaining stuff, But the PQ is top notch.Full 1080i on all their programs, just not 5.1 sound.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Forum Regular
    True True...however once I see that at awesome quality, all the other channels won't be seen on the same level.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Okay, makes sense. I just don't know how I'd hook that up thru the tivo so I can record anything.
    I also looked on antennaweb.org and they only show one HD channel in my area...PBS. not worth it.
    I have TIVO also, but am too cheap to spring for the Series 3 units.

There is a way to "record" HD programming, but it requires some pre-planning. I use my DirectTV HD reciever to get the OTA programming. I then set up Tivo to record what ever show that I want to watch. For example, lets say 24 on Fox.

So, TIVO has a season pass for 24. However, Tivo has no way to change to my channel 55-1 (The HD OTA broadcast). So I go into my Guide on the DirectTV tuner, and set it to "AutoTune" to 55-1 when 24 starts. By default, Tivo thinks its on channel 55, but is really on 55-1 as the DirectTV tuner has changed the channel independantly of Tivo.

This system really only works with channels you get OTA, and you must be running your TIVO through your CableBox, or SatBox.

Seriously, it is kinda a pain, but if you think to do it, there is a marked improvement in signal even over the S-Video out on the Tivo Box.

Without a cable box, the next best way I suppose would be to use a HD Tuner enabled TV, and use he same setup. Just switch the channel on the TV, and bypass the TIVO. This way it thinks its on the correct channel, but infact taping what you want in HD.

I am well aware that the signal from the Tivo via S-Video is NOT HD. However, the signal quality is much better than if the same program is recorded Non-HD
    and played back. This is just a workaround for taping HD OTA broadcasts.
    Last edited by Groundbeef; 01-25-2007 at 08:08 AM.

Thread Information