AR Newbie Registered Member

Same old question: Need help deciding

I think I've narrowed my receiver choices to the Pioneer VSX-1016 when it comes out and the Onkyo TX-SR703. The Pioneer has some more options the the Onkyo, but I think the Onkyo would be a better sounding receiver. I have not demo'd either, (the 1015 in the case of the Pioneer). Both are in the same price range if you get the Onkyo as refurbished. Both have pre outs and will be adding amplifiers as time goes on.

I'm curious if anybody had any opinions either way or neither or other

My usage is both the ability to have great sounding music and great home theater. Currently have BIC America speakers system modified by EFT technologies with a parts express sub. i want to get a receiver that's the heart of a system to add amplifiers to and upgrade other components as necessary without having to buy another receiver a couple years down the road.

Thanks

I may be biased, but the sr703 was a receiver I looked at when making my final a/v
    picks. It wound up being out of my budget, and I choose the vsx 1015tx. The onkyo
    has features the pioneer dos'nt (ipod hook-up, hdmi). The other thing was the
    craftmanship of the actual unit, after a 10 minute mid volume test, it got VERY hot.
    I've seen this under $550 lately. I say take another look at it, and decide. Good Luck.

Pioneer VSX1015TX
    JBL Northridge E150 Powered Sub
    JBL 4410A Studio Monitors(Front)
    JBL Northridge E30(Surrounds)
    JBL Cinema Vison CVCEN50 Center
    JBL Northridge Satellites(Back Channel)
    Pioneer Elite DV45A DVDA/SACD
    Panasonic DVD F86K
    Sony RCD W500C CD PLAYER/REC
    AR Interconnects
    Cobalt 14G Wire
    Sanus Stands
    XBOX 360 (Just Added)

As Long As My Brain And Fingers Work I'm Cool...Edward Van Halen

If the prices are only the same if the Onkyo is a refurb...why not look for a refurbished Pioneer Elite and get a much better receiver than either of your original choices. Just a thought!

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    DLPZ- You may want to look at my post over in amps/recievers if you have not already. The Onkyo's are not getting much love over there.

Thread Information