Forum Regular

Harman Kardon AVR135 OR Marantz SR4500?

I'm debating between these 2 receivers. I used to have an H/K AVR100 and was very happy with it but I hear great things about Marantz and can pick up the SR4500 for only $120 cdn $ more.

I will be using for about 65% HT and 35% stereo music listening. I'm concerned more with sound quality and it will be used in a small apartment (hence entry level receivers). I understand that the Marantz is double the power, but maybe it's insignificant because of current issues?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

Both our outstanding receivers. The power is not double on the Marantz. Just measured differently.

The HK is rated with all its channels driven. Hence the lower power rating. The Marantz is measured with only 2 channels driven. If you where to measure the Marantz with all channels driven they would come in about the same in output. Give or take 5 to 10 watts. Which is insignificant since it takes double the power for a 3db increase in volume.

In conclusion I would go with the one that has the features you want, and sounds the best to YOUR ears.

golden ear
    the HK hisses and hums become more audible at higher sound levels while the Marantz still has this clear and crisp sound even at the same high volume level. the punch of bass on a marantz is much more impressive and clean. no doubt, i would still choose the marantz even if double the price when compared to a HK.

Kam
    Just to toss in my own experience, but i've now owned two marantz recievers and have loved 'em both. i have not owned that particular model, but as far as the brandname goes, i'm a big marantz fan.
    /create

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Wow, can't say I've ever heard any receiver hiss and hum before. Sounds like something was going wrong.

Years ago I moved from H/K to Marantz. For me it wasn't so much the sound quality, the both sounded very similar when driven within their design limitations.

The Marantz I bought at the time had a few more gizmos, including Dolby Digital 5.1 (which was a big deal at the time). I ended up buying another Marantz later on with more power and inputs. Sounded pretty much the same though. They were both a huge step up on the old Sony I had though.

If I were you, I'd consider the other features you get for the money, sound quality is probably going to be very similar, if discernable at all. Any reason why you've limited your decision to just these 2 receivers?

If power is a concern for you, I'd pay less attention to the "all-channels driven" measurement. While some receivers will perform better under this test, the truth that people choose to forget or ignore is that movies and music rarely demand all channels driven to max power simultaneously. And when they do, it's usually for a fractions of a second. So what we really need here is dynamic power. Those all-channels driven tests measure max output for 5 minutes or more and aren't really representative of what a receiver used for home theater can do. If you reciever can deliver short, instantenous dynamic power to at max rating to all of its channels, whenever the most demanding movies ask for it, who cares if it can output its max power into an 8 ohm load for 5 consecutive mintues? Some of these receivers that perform well with all-channels driven don't provide much more power (or any at all) when there are fewer channels driven.

low on funds high on hope
    ive had the pioneer 815 for a while now and i would recommend it fully. i beat out marantz in sound and vision. it has a ton of features and plenty of power. might want to check it out.
    spl or die.

Forum Regular
    Which model of Marantz did it beat out? When you say beat out are you talking about power or the reviewer's personal audio preference? Before buying my Marantz I listened to my speakers on similar models of Denon, Yamaha and Harmon Kardon and I thought the Marantz sounded alot better. Just my taste I guess. Honestly I thought the HK had the worst sound in those particular models.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I've always been a serious HK fan. I've always heard good things about Marantz, but have never heard one of their receivers. Looks like they offer pretty good value. I wonder if there's anywhere I can listen to one around here?
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular
    im not familiar with the marantz line at all but i do own the hk avr135 and it is the best purchase ive made in a long time. tons of power to spare and that logic 7 is a real great addition. just my 2 cents

golden ear
    Quote Originally Posted by eisforelectronic
    I've always been a serious HK fan. I've always heard good things about Marantz, but have never heard one of their receivers. Looks like they offer pretty good value. I wonder if there's anywhere I can listen to one around here?

say goodbye to your HK once youve heard the performance of a marantz. HK is good but Marantz is way too far to compare. try the SR5500. its going to give you musical heaven if paired with the right speakers

Thread Information