Forum Regular

H/T wiring question

I have 4 powered speakers for my H/T set up. I have Polk RT2000p for both front and rear (I got a killer deal)
    I currently have them hooked up with regular speaker wire to each of the 5 speakers. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1, with plenty of pre-outs to go around. I am planning to hook up the fonts with the RCA cables, but is it worth running RCA to the surround speakers too? Also, my center has the provisions to be able to be hooked up the same way. Will it be worth the time and money to do so?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill1963
    I have 4 powered speakers for my H/T set up. I have Polk RT2000p for both front and rear (I got a killer deal)
    I currently have them hooked up with regular speaker wire to each of the 5 speakers. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1, with plenty of pre-outs to go around. I am planning to hook up the fonts with the RCA cables, but is it worth running RCA to the surround speakers too? Also, my center has the provisions to be able to be hooked up the same way. Will it be worth the time and money to do so?
    Bill:
    Did you get Operating Manuals with your Polk speakers? If so, I suggest that you see what they recommend in the way of hookups. Also check to see just what the various hookup configurations offer in the way of "crossover network" capabilities. I suspect that it will probably make very little difference to the end result no matter whether you hook them up any differently than the way you already have them hooked up. But check the manual for the speaks to see what it might tell you - or, you might call Polk technical support and get some advice there.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    Did you get Operating Manuals with your Polk speakers?
    Well, if you didn't, you can find one at http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/m...000pManual.pdf

Although your speakers are "powered", it's just the subwoofer section within each speaker that's powered. On page 12 of the manual, it suggests connecting them with normal speaker wiring. If you run RCA cables to each speaker, you're just going to feed information to the subwoofer section. You still need the high-level connection to feed a signal to the tweeter and mid/bass drivers.
    Click here to see my system.

Thread Information