MCF
    Forum Regular

Ground loop caused by cable line from outside not being properly grounded??

Anyone ever have and solve a ground loop caused by an improperly ground cable television line where it enters the house? If so, did you fix the improperly grounded cable television line or did you have the cable company come out and look at the problem and fix it?

Forum Regular
    When I first moved into this house 3 years ago, I was missing a lot of channels, and a lot of them were blocky and distorted. I had one tech after another coming over and telling me the custom wiring system I had put into my house was faulty and not grounded correctly. I knew this wasn't true becase I knew the person who put in the system, and I had them spare no expenses, this system was designed and integrated at the same time this house was being constructed. Finally all problems were solved simply by installing a broadband cable video amplifier. I had 3 techs come over telling me I need to rip my walls open and replace all the lines, and ground them. Or rip open my walls and replace the splitters behind the walls, and they thought I didn't know what I was talking about when I said all splitters are on the outisde, not in the walls, I made sure of that.

Have some 3rd parties evaluate your problem before trusting the cable companies evaluations. From my experience, the majority of them are not very knowledgable at all.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    If this helps....My cable guy grounded the system by simply connecting a wire from the splitter to the garden hose pipe.

Video Ground Isolators

IME, most video induced hum is caused by the cable ground being referenced to a different voltage than the rest of the system. IMS, when I swtiched to an all-tube system hum became a serious PITA, especially on the video side of the system. The problem was solved by placing a Jensen Video Ground Loop Isolator model VRD-1FF in the main cable feed. The system is now hum free. I also floated a couple of 3 prong cords. The isolator is available on-line at:
    Jensen Transformers for about $60.00.

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Thread Information