AR Newbie Registered Member

Post Getting DTS sound from my pro-logic system?

I have connected my Pioneer DVD DV-360 to Dolby pro-logic mini system. I used RCA cables (white and red) to connect them. I get sound from my Dolby pro-logic mini system when I select DD or 5.1 option on the DVD film However I get NO SOUND from my Dolby pro-logic mini system when I select DTS sound on the DVD film. WHY ? ANY SUGGESTIONS ? (I can only use RCA cables since my mini system only have RCA type input)

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hahabas
    I have connected my Pioneer DVD DV-360 to Dolby pro-logic mini system. I used RCA cables (white and red) to connect them. I get sound from my Dolby pro-logic mini system when I select DD or 5.1 option on the DVD film However I get NO SOUND from my Dolby pro-logic mini system when I select DTS sound on the DVD film. WHY ? ANY SUGGESTIONS ? (I can only use RCA cables since my mini system only have RCA type input)
    Your system does not have DTS decoders built-in, so there's no way for you to play a DVD this way. The price of DTS enabled receivers has come down quite a lot in the last 5 years. I would suggest an upgrade when you can.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Geoffcin is right, you need a new reciever and they are so cheap these days it's a no brainer. Just grab something like this:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SvyJR6U...0&I=580TXS503B

Connect your DVD player with an optical or coax digital cable, hook up your front speakers, center speakers, and surrounds, then run an RCA cable to your powered sub for the LFE and you're good to go with true 5.1 Dolby and DTS!

Suspended
    Just to emphasize what was already said, even if your mini system did decode DTS you would not have heard it correctly because you were using the L/R (red/white) analog inputs. Notice N'A said to use a coaxial or optical DIGITAL hook up. Unless your mini system is "5.1 ready" meaning it has a 6 pack of RCA inputs and your DVD player had a built in decoder with the same 6 RCA outputs. In this set up the decoding is done in the DVD player instead of the receiver and feed to the receiver via the 6 analog hook ups (L/R front, L/R rear, center and LFE)

Thread Information