• 03-29-2006, 10:10 AM
    Getting around Component Video Limitations
    My TV supports 720i/1080i but only has CV inputs.

Since cable companies are offering tuners that support 720i/1080i via component video, would it not follow then that I can purchase an over-the-air HDTV tuner with a DVI output and buy a simple DVI to Component Video plug to get the same result?

I know this topic has been bounced around these forums a few times, but has anyone tried this? It would seem simple enough.
  • 03-29-2006, 11:00 AM
    ToddL
    Some of these tuners have comp vid out.
  • 03-29-2006, 12:33 PM
    edtyct
    ToddL's right, isn't he? Anyhow, DVI and component do not mix, one being digital and the other analog (not to mention one having copy protection and one not). You could also try to get your hands on an RCA or Proscan DTC-100 DirecTV/off-air tuner with a VGA output and THEN get a component transcoder (Key Digital or otherwise). They were all the rage when HD first arrived on the scene. I sold one with a transcoder on ebay myself a few years ago.

Edit: I see a bunch of DTC-100s on ebay right now (e.g.,Item number: 9704332319), along with a bunch of VGA video converters from Audio Authority. You don't need to activate DirecTV to use the receiver for local HD off-air. You might check with one of the sellers.
  • 03-29-2006, 01:26 PM
    "DVI and component do not mix, one being digital and the other analog"

So then what do adaptors like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HDTV-Component-V...QQcmdZViewItem

Do?
  • 03-29-2006, 02:56 PM
    edtyct
    It's for PC to video applications, so far as I can tell. The DVI side of the adapter is DVI-I, which is compatible with both DVI-A and DVI-D (edit: as a connector, that is, not as a way to equate the two formats). DVI-D is the consumer video standard; it is different entirely from DVI-A, which computer technology implements. I would imagine that the DVI-I end of the adapter takes an analog HD signal from a videocard, like the ones mentioned at the bottom of the program description, and feeds it to the component end. That way, you can use a PC for source material on a video display. Other than that, I have no idea. You could ask the seller a direct question about whether the device is compatible with DVI-D from a consumer TV tuner.
  • 03-30-2006, 09:53 AM
    Ed,

I didn't know there were DVI-A & DVI-D differences. I always thought I could plug the DVI cable from my ATI card straight into the DVI input of a TV monitor.

Speaking of the RCA DTC-100. I've started a new thread on that one because I'm having some issues with that one (hence the reason I'm looking into other tuners).
  • 03-30-2006, 10:01 AM
    edtyct
    Night,

Now I recall, I think, that you had a DTC-100. Did we discuss it before? Anyway, that model is a little long in the tooth, though it was THE tuner for a long time. Some of the newer ones probably pull in fringe channels a little better. Where's your new thread, or haven't you composed it yet?

Ed