Forum Regular

General Setup Question

I just had a basic question about setup and maybe the best way to explain is just to give the scenario I'm looking at:

I'm installing a 5.1 system. The surround speakers & subwoofer are specified at 80-100W RMS and 100-130W Max. I'm currently looking at a 600W receiver with 6.1 support (100W x 6 RMS +0.5%). Am I correct in thinking that this would be ok to power all my speakers and my subwoofer (the sub is passive)? It seems good on paper but I'm not 100% sure how that works. What would happen if I installed a 1000W receiver?

fyi-the receiver I am looking at is a Kenwood VRS-n8100. It has built in ethernet support which is the main perk, but also the fact that it seems compatable with my setup. Any thoughts on it as well would be appreciated!

Sorry if this seems obvious or trite, but I'm still obviously learning!

thanks!

You should be fine, except that most av receivers today are configured for active subs.

Yeah you'll be fine. That recevier will never come close to 100x6 in reality, it will do maybe 40 watts per channel and you won't even use all that. Before you go out and buy a '1000 watt' receiver you probably need to read more and learn about real world power ratings.

And like Paul said, you don't use the receiver to power the subwoofer. It needs its own amp.

Suspended
    In addition, it's always better to drive your speakers with too much power than not enough. Clipping, or overdriving, your amp will kill far more speakers than having too much power.

Forum Regular
    Yeah you'll be fine. That recevier will never come close to 100x6 in reality, it will do maybe 40 watts per channel and you won't even use all that. Before you go out and buy a '1000 watt' receiver you probably need to read more and learn about real world power ratings.
    I think you are really hitting on what my question is. I guess I assumed that if its a 600 watt amp, it will be putting out 600 watts continuously. I'm not sure how it regulates or "knows" how to adjust wattage for each channel. I think what I really need is a good article on this to look over and read. I've tried to scour the internet but I haven't found one. Know any off the top of your heads?

thanks for all your replies!

Go to www.audioholics.com and browse through their links on learning different formats and meaurments. They're pretty obssessive over there about debunking audio myths and popular conceptions of equipment that just don't hold true.

Suspended
    If an amp is rated at X watts per channel, whether it has 2, 5, or 6, it will only do X watts to each speaker hook up.

Another place to get good beginner information is www.crutchfield.com they are a very good on line retailer but their website is full of articles and information on a variety of home and auto electronics.

The company rates the amp in the receiver a certain number, but is not under "load".
    By the time it's driving 5/6/7 speakers, you maybe have a 3rd of the power, thats
    actually being used, it goes thru all the electronics in the chassis, the wire, the drivers
    so if anything it's not overpower issues, it's clipping issues, or underdriving your
    speakers, that cause damage. Unless you go really crazy with the volume, you'll
    be okay. I played my 7.1 receiver to insane volumes, before adding a amp, and never
    came close to overdriving the speakers or the receiver, so hook up everything and go
    nuts. By the way Crutchfield Rocks. They have alot of on-line manuals available
    with specific Q and A sections that have really taught me alot. Also there's are group
    of about 15-20 guys on this forum who have helped out time and time again (you know
    who you are). After you get comfortable with your rig, we'll get into the whole
    external amp issue, which will take away all the stress if your worried about being
    underpowered, Good Luck.
    Sunfire TGP-5 Pre/Pro
    Carver A760-x
    Carver TFM25
    Carver TFM15 x 2
    Sunfire Signature "True Sub"
    JBL Studio L890(Front)
    JBL Studio L830(Rear)
    Infinity PC350(Center)
    Oppo Digital 983H
    Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U
    Panasonic DMP-BD50 Blu-ray Player
    Power Protection/Filters-Monster HTS 5100 MKII
    Canare Interconnects

Forum Regular
    You guys are awesome! This has been a really big help. I'll be sure to check out Crutchfield and Audioholics. Thanks again!

Here is the artice that I believe paul_pci was referring to.

All channel driven amplifier test

It should answer most of your questions.

In summary, I suggest hooking up your amp\receiver to one circuit and your powered sub to another as a minimum.

This site may help you get a better receiver for your hard earned cash

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/fs.pl?rcvr51ch

Forum Regular
    What kind of passive subwoofer do you have? Does it have input and output speaker terminals?

Thread Information