• 09-11-2008, 09:36 PM
    elapsed
    The future is... 4K2K and 8K4K
    1080p. 2 megapixel. And already obsolete.

Next year we're going to start hearing more and more about next generation sets and projectors. 4K2K. That's 4096x2400 pixels. 10 megapixel. Already we are seeing 4K2K projectors in some digital cinemas. And with advanced H264 encoding, a video transfer can fit in 50mbit/s, which could be delivered over fiberoptic Internet connections, or possibly even fit onto a Blu-Ray disc which has a 48mbit/s banwdith limit. At that bitrate, a 2 hour 4K2K movie could fit onto a dual-layer 50GB Blu-Ray disc. I predict that 4K2K sets will be within reach in 2 years time.

Meanwhile, JVC is currently showing off 8K4K D-ILA chips, also known as "Super Hi-Vision" or "Ultra HDTV". 7680 x 4320 pixels. 33 megapixel. Japan has announced plans to make this a broadcast standard by 2015, and BBC has plans to broadcast the 2012 Olympic games in 8K4K. The challenges right now are building a camera that can record it, and equipment to transfer a 24Gbps uncompressed stream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4320p

On a related topic, the Super Hi-Vision standard calls for 22.2 audio channels. 9 speakers above ear level, 10 speakers at ear level, 3.2 speakers below ear level. There's literally a speaker directly above you in this design. Imagine 5 years from now taking your family out to a multimillion dollar digital cinema with this surround experience!

cheers,
    elapsed
  • 09-12-2008, 05:01 AM
    GMichael
    How much better can resolution get before the whole idea of 2 dimensional images becomes obsolete?
  • 09-12-2008, 05:51 AM
    Auricauricle
    I'm resolved to keep things simple....Like inviting Sharon Stone over to do "Basic Instinct" live in my livingroom....

Does that pertain to resolution?

(Mebbe more to my dissolution!)
  • 09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    How much better can resolution get before the whole idea of 2 dimensional images becomes obsolete?

I'm with the Gman on this one...

Will someone please start focusing on 3D video and something similiar for audio???

I can just imagine the kids in Best Buy trying to convince someone that they need 8K4K resolution on their 32 inch tv and 22.2 speakers to match...

Seriously though, what size TV would you have to use for 8K4K to be really noticeable?
  • 09-12-2008, 02:50 PM
    elapsed
    I don't think we will ever see 8K4K video in stores, let alone on 32 inch tv's. This resolution is simply pointless on a screen this size. The idea is for extremely large theater displays, such as digital theater complexes and large venues where screens are measured in feet, not inches

I believe that 4K2K will be the last 2D video we will be seeing for the consumer market, and this will mostly benefit those with front projectors and 70"+ screens

cheers,
    elapsed
  • 09-12-2008, 05:00 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by elapsed
    I don't think we will ever see 8K4K video in stores, let alone on 32 inch tv's. This resolution is simply pointless on a screen this size. The idea is for extremely large theater displays, such as digital theater complexes and large venues where screens are measured in feet, not inches

I believe that 4K2K will be the last 2D video we will be seeing for the consumer market, and this will mostly benefit those with front projectors and 70"+ screens

cheers,
    elapsed

The home market will not see 4k2k because it would take a 200"+ screen to get enough pixels to create an image. If you are talking an LCD panel, you will never get it in the door of a house. If you are talking projection, the projector will be immense. I am in the process of purchasing a Sony 4k projector for my post production studio. That thing is huge!!! It would take a huge room to put it in.

You are going to need far more than 70" to get enough pixels on a screen to do 2400p. You are going to need more than 150" if the truth is told. This puts this out of the hands of the majority of HT enthusiast in America. European and Asian homes are far too small for this technology.
  • 09-13-2008, 09:02 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

cheers,
    elapsed

Oh didnt you hear? Sir Talky already has one, got one of the last 4k2k CRT'S before the giant LCD conspriacy destroyed the
    beloved VACCUME TUBE tech.
    Really tho, I just increased my pixel count to 2 mill + from a mill +,
    and while worth it, it was slight.
    AND YES you can get one smaller than 200", you just need a finer pitch on the pixels, which is beyond current tech.
    But why anyone would want one is beyond me.
    As for "3 D " AS the rez increases so does depth, havent you noticed
    the "three D" effect of super sharp images?
    Its an illusion of course, but the higher the rez the "deeper" the image.
    MY prediction is 2,000p, that will just about stretch current tech to the limits, and it will be introduced around 2010 or so, but people will be more interested in food.
    And then around 2012 the earth will plunge into the galactic rift
    and we will all die.
    RIGHT AFTER THIS CHICK is elected to her first complete term.:1:
  • 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM
    elapsed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Really tho, I just increased my pixel count to 2 mill + from a mill +,
    and while worth it, it was slight.

Hey pixie, your 720p Vizio doesn't qualify as 2 million pixels. But you're obviously no stranger to exagerating size. :lol:

cheers,
    elapsed
  • 09-14-2008, 06:27 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Even if it was possible to gain more resolution at a consumer level I think it would take several years to reach us based on the amount of time it took to get where we are today and broadcasters are still at 720p and 1080i. Blu-ray has barely taken off, cable and satelite are hurting to get bandwidth just to carry current channels in HD. I don't believe the U.S. market is ready for the next revolutionary HD product.

I can see this being a boost to the commercial theaters though. Higher rez and 22 channels of surround, that would one up your average living room HT wouldn't it. That could inspire the movie goer to buy a ticket possibly. I notice in my area more regular movie titles are being shown in I-max where that used to be just things like Discovery movies, Sharks, Racing, Volcanoes etc.

I thought the next consumer pocket book invasion was going to be from the 3D products a few of the companies are toying with. I first saw this from Mitsubishi but I'm not sure if they were the first.
  • 09-15-2008, 01:08 AM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Hey pixie, your 720p Vizio doesn't qualify as 2 million pixels. But you're obviously no stranger to exagerating size. :lol:

cheers,
    elapsed

I just "upgraded" to 1080p, as you no doubt know by now.
    I donnt "exagerate" anything, just ask the girlfriend.:1:
  • 09-15-2008, 01:10 AM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Why "exagerate" when you can lie like a dog?
    My new 1080p;
    :1:
  • 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Whah? Pix has a girlfriend..... that explains a few things.
  • 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Whah? Pix has a girlfriend..... that explains a few things.

REMEMBER THE "lie like a dog" part, okay?:1:
  • 09-19-2008, 05:13 PM
    Quote:

cheers,
    elapsed

It doesn't even qualify for a million pixels, and I think he is too cheap to buy another set.
  • 09-21-2008, 09:14 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    It doesn't even qualify for a million pixels, and I think he is too cheap to buy another set.

It has two mill pixels turdhead, and is a lot better than those glass urns you shoot electrons through.
    AND is certainly gonna last a LOT longer:1:

The automotive equal of your crap...
  • 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM
    pixelthis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible

It has two million pixels, but of course you have trouble beyond fifth grade math.
    The automotive equalvalent of sir talkys crap:1:....
  • 09-22-2008, 05:32 AM
    GMichael
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

It has two million pixels, but of course you have trouble beyond fifth grade math.

You may have the time frame right, but that pic is wrong. Here is his old car.
  • 09-22-2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    You may have the time frame right, but that pic is wrong. Here is his old car.

Quite a jump from the dumpster divers picture, but more on track with reality.
  • 09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
    Quote:

A 720p television does not have two million pixels, and I do not believe for one moment you bought another television because that does not even sqaure with the logic you have exibited around here.

Your receiver is outdated, yet you say you are not going to replace it because your old receiver is perfectly fine. Well according to you your set was just fine as well, so why change it now? I say BS big time.

Personally believe that you cannot critisize other peoples stuff like you do when you own a cheap azz underperforming television. So in an attempt to give yourself better footing, you are making up this new television. You haven't even changed your signature to reflect the new purchase. Don't believe ya, your history of lying through your teeth is infamous.