• 08-07-2008, 05:57 AM
    E-Stat
    Funniest Reason to Have Separate Audio/HT Systems
    I was looking at the profile of a poster at another site and found this comment:

Big mistake! Need some donation from everyone so I can build a dedicated HT room, so I don't have to compete with my wife for time in front of the system.....

LOL! I can relate to that since my wife is more the videophile and has quite a few programs she follows regularly. While she watches "John and Kate Plus Eight", I can escape upstairs or to the garage for listening to some music.

rw
  • 08-07-2008, 06:10 AM
    GMichael
    This is why our house has two HT systems with projectors in each. It's the only way I get to see my shows without a fight.
  • 08-07-2008, 06:48 AM
    Feanor
    Would be funnier ...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I was looking at the profile of a poster at another site and found this comment:

Big mistake! Need some donation from everyone so I can build a dedicated HT room, so I don't have to compete with my wife for time in front of the system.....

LOL! I can relate to that since my wife is more the videophile and has quite a few programs she follows regularly. While she watches "John and Kate Plus Eight", I can escape upstairs or to the garage for listening to some music.

rw

It would be funnier if it weren't so true. Sort of the same at my house except we're not talking about two HT systems, just an HT and a music-only stereo.

The stereo is all mine, and since I don't watch all that much TV (not being a sports fan) nor all that many flicks, the wife has first dibs on the HT. Still, since I'd like upgrade the HT to really great M/C music capability, so I too am accepting contributions.
  • 08-07-2008, 07:07 AM
    kexodusc
    Hmmm....maybe I shouldn't consolidate my separate systems?
  • 08-07-2008, 07:09 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Sorry, I can't relate so... "Exit, stage left!" :biggrin5:
  • 08-07-2008, 07:15 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Hmmm....maybe I shouldn't consolidate my separate systems?

The wife is going to want access to the better of the two systems. So make sure that second system is something you will enjoy.
  • 08-07-2008, 07:19 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    The wife is going to want access to the better of the two systems. So make sure that second system is something you will enjoy.

Yeah, right now I have 2-channel and HT system separated. Problem is the HT system has really closed the performance gap, and I'm thinking I can maximize both by reducing redundancy...

But I don't share well...
  • 08-07-2008, 07:39 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Yeah, right now I have 2-channel and HT system separated. Problem is the HT system has really closed the performance gap, and I'm thinking I can maximize both by reducing redundancy...

But I don't share well...

Hope you like cooking shows and Judge Judy.
  • 08-07-2008, 09:57 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hope you like cooking shows and Judge Judy.

LOL!

rw
  • 08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
    It would be funnier if it weren't so true. Sort of the same at my house except we're not talking about two HT systems, just an HT and a music-only stereo.

Yep, sadly it is a fairly common reason to keep the 2 seperate... My wife loves TV and I love music... We're currently waiting on construction of our house to be completed... but from before we even finalized the plans, we had already agreed on seperating the TV from the stereo (both of which will be bought after construction of the house)... simply because her way of unwinding at the end of a long day of work is with some girly shows on lifetime, while I'd rather listen to some good tunes or surf the net, while planning system upgrades...
  • 08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
    Worf101
    My my.....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani
    Yep, sadly it is a fairly common reason to keep the 2 seperate... My wife loves TV and I love music... We're currently waiting on construction of our house to be completed... but from before we even finalized the plans, we had already agreed on seperating the TV from the stereo (both of which will be bought after construction of the house)... simply because her way of unwinding at the end of a long day of work is with some girly shows on lifetime, while I'd rather listen to some good tunes or surf the net, while planning system upgrades...

I've never met the man...

But I like the way he thinks..

Bravo sir.... Bravo!!!!

Went through the same shenanagis with the home computer. She now has a laptop, he has my stone aged gaming rig and an XBox 360 while I have my long in the tooth FX 60 system that will be replaced by April '09 assuming AMD gets its collective head out its arse by then.

Da Worfster
  • 08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I knew right away when I got married we were going to have issues with the hometheater room. So in my house, everyone who wants one has their own private small theater in their rooms, basic systems, not anything high end unless they bought it. That way I didn't have to battle with anyone when I needed to hear my mixes in a smaller space, or just plain watch the movie I wanted to watch. Once a week, we had family movie night where everyone went into the big theater, and each person choose the movie for that week.

This worked like a charm.
  • 08-07-2008, 07:19 PM
    filecat13
    This is why I have two virtually identical MC systems, one with video and one without. I get the same quality of sound experience wherever I end up

Even when I lose, I win. But really, the GF like to be nearby, so it's not that big a problem. I watch ice skating with her and she'll listen to the crystal Method with me.
  • 08-08-2008, 12:36 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

You like music and the wife likes TV.
    Do your kids like music on TV?
    Take this great Santana DVD I got...:1:
  • 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
    Auricauricle
    Fortunately, my wife and I share fairly similar tastes in music and film. When that strategy doesn't pan out, there is always the tried and not so true American strategy of overwhelming force: I show her the vast array of CD's etc. and say, "Please pick something (smirk!)....Whatever you chose will be fine....!"
  • 08-08-2008, 07:54 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

We're currently waiting on construction of our house to be completed... but from before we even finalized the plans, we had already agreed on seperating the TV from the stereo (both of which will be bought after construction of the house)... simply because her way of unwinding at the end of a long day of work is with some girly shows on lifetime, while I'd rather listen to some good tunes or surf the net, while planning system upgrades...

I'm in the same boat, we should start moving in next weekend...good luck with yours!

My wife and I tend to have similar video and video game tastes when we're both looking to watch TV or use the HT, so compromise is usually easy to arrive at. The differences are in music. But she let's me descend to the audio pit and listen - in fact she rarely uses the stereo or HT for music listening and prefers her Ipod. Works for me.
  • 08-08-2008, 08:15 AM
    Auricauricle
    And that is part two of the strategy of owning way too much gear!

Mebbe it's a guy thing. Something about cables and inputs....
  • 08-08-2008, 08:17 AM
    Ajani
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pixelthis
    You like music and the wife likes TV.
    Do your kids like music on TV?
    Take this great Santana DVD I got...:1:

Nah... they only watch tv on their ipods...

:ciappa:

(wait a sec... I don't have any kids)
  • 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM
    f0rge
    luckily my fiance is not too picky and is perfectly happy leaving the HT to me and my friends while she watches her shows in the bedroom.

we also have a PVR which works out great since i can usually convince her to watch whatever lame show she wants to watch later.