Forum Regular

Question Apple Mac Mini as a DVD Player...

Placing a 42 inch 1024x768 Panasonic plasma above a fireplace. All of the audio components will be in the basement (whole house audio setup), but I like the idea of having a DVD handy near the TV to avoid the trek to the basement, but I want it completely out of sight (and access from toddlers). Been thinking of putting an Apple Mac "Mini" on the mantle and using it as both a DVD player and to turn the plasma into a computer. Since the Mini is same color as mantle (white) and smaller than the mantle is deep, it would be hardly even noticed. My main question is how well a DVD will perform with a DVI output from the Mini vs. a regular set-top DVD player using RGB.

A second related question is regarding the sound. I can get the stereo output of the Mini down to my A/V setup in the basement (I pre-ran lots of wires), so I am wondering if my A/V receiver will be able to pick up any Dolby, DTS, etc. coding from the Mini? Though I would still have my higher-end DVD player with Toslink down there if I preferred, I am curious how much I would preserve simply running the Mini's stereo audio into the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Gator
    Placing a 42 inch 1024x768 Panasonic plasma above a fireplace. All of the audio components will be in the basement (whole house audio setup), but I like the idea of having a DVD handy near the TV to avoid the trek to the basement, but I want it completely out of sight (and access from toddlers). Been thinking of putting an Apple Mac "Mini" on the mantle and using it as both a DVD player and to turn the plasma into a computer. Since the Mini is same color as mantle (white) and smaller than the mantle is deep, it would be hardly even noticed. My main question is how well a DVD will perform with a DVI output from the Mini vs. a regular set-top DVD player using RGB.

A second related question is regarding the sound. I can get the stereo output of the Mini down to my A/V setup in the basement (I pre-ran lots of wires), so I am wondering if my A/V receiver will be able to pick up any Dolby, DTS, etc. coding from the Mini? Though I would still have my higher-end DVD player with Toslink down there if I preferred, I am curious how much I would preserve simply running the Mini's stereo audio into the receiver.
    While you've stumbled upon a cool idea, you won't get digital 5.1 sound from stereo analog inputs. At best, you'll get prologic sound as your receiver converts a stereo input to 5.1 channels. A PS2 would do the job as it has an optical out, but I think, in your case, it would be more obtrusive than you're looking for.

AR Newbie Registered Member

mac mini 5.1 surround sound

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    While you've stumbled upon a cool idea, you won't get digital 5.1 sound from stereo analog inputs. At best, you'll get prologic sound as your receiver converts a stereo input to 5.1 channels. A PS2 would do the job as it has an optical out, but I think, in your case, it would be more obtrusive than you're looking for.
    This is what you need to get 5.1 sound from a mac mini. I'm thinking of buying this myself.
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I use an M-audio external card to get sound from my powerbook to my receiver, works great.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Thread Information