AR Newbie Registered Member

Having Home Theater Problems (Newbie Help)

Let me first just start by saying that I have never owned any surround speakers before a couple days ago. I just purchased the Klipsch SF-2's for my floor speakers, the SC-1 for the center, and the SS-1's for my rears. My receiver is a Sherwood RD-7103. It has connections for a 5.1 system, but I am now having issues. Almost upon the very first hookup, I have not been able to get my system to work above a certain volume level. What happens, is when I get above level 40 (approx.) on my receiver, it just turns off. Literally. It works fine until about 40, but then seems to be very spotty about shutting off when above that level. My question is could my receiver just not be able to handle the power? Is there a possible connection problem from my speakers to the receiver? Again, this is really my first time hooking anything like this up, so I am a little clueless. Thanks!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

It could be several things.

Quote Originally Posted by watchtower918
    Let me first just start by saying that I have never owned any surround speakers before a couple days ago. I just purchased the Klipsch SF-2's for my floor speakers, the SC-1 for the center, and the SS-1's for my rears. My receiver is a Sherwood RD-7103. It has connections for a 5.1 system, but I am now having issues. Almost upon the very first hookup, I have not been able to get my system to work above a certain volume level. What happens, is when I get above level 40 (approx.) on my receiver, it just turns off. Literally. It works fine until about 40, but then seems to be very spotty about shutting off when above that level. My question is could my receiver just not be able to handle the power? Is there a possible connection problem from my speakers to the receiver? Again, this is really my first time hooking anything like this up, so I am a little clueless. Thanks!
    The fact that your reciever shuts down is a sign that something is amiss. I don't know what "level 40" is, is that very loud? I would double check all the speaker connections. If the speakers are connected out of phase it may cause a problem.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Suspended
    Klipsch is probably one of the easiest speakers on the market to drive. You definitely have a problem somewhere. Be sure that you have the speakers connected to the proper terminals. The front L/R, rear surround L/R & center. If your receiver has those cheap spring loaded terminals be sure the bare wire is not too long and touching the other lead or shorting out inside the terminal. Check your menu, each speaker has it's own volume and then all are turned up simultaneously by the master volume.

Thread Information