• 05-25-2005, 06:42 AM
    Siper2
    Finally got to 5.0 sound (Boston Acoustics / Denon) - Fine tuning?
    Hey guys. I'm not even sure what exactly my question will be, so let me figure it out as I go, here. :D

I've got a Denon AVR-685s 6.1 receiver. Attached to that are Boston Acoustics speakers:
    CR95 front towers
    CR75 rear bookshelves
    CRC7 center
    No subwoofer (yet - Looking at BA PV700)

The center channel is one of BA's new "-7" series models, whereas the rest are the previous-generation "-5" series. Essentially they're the same, except the new stuff uses metal grilles instead of cloth, and a BA rep tells me that the cabinets have better bracing.
    Either way, I got the towers and rears at 60% off, or so, so I'm not complaining about an "old" design.

I'm using 12-ga. speaker wire from Home Depot and Lowe's. I decided to switch from bare wire to banana plugs from Radio Shack, but currently don't know if I'll keep the plugs.
    May bring them back if I can, as they were expensive and I'm not 100% sure if they're worth it. With all the cabling and connector talk around here, maybe that's one thing you guys can toss some opinions to me, about.

The only components I have are DVD, VCR and the 27" TV. The TV is non-HDTV, and only has standard connectors (one set, to boot). So I've got standard video/audio for that and the VCR, but a digital audio cable for the DVD. Once I get a new TV, I'll switch everything to component cables, except the VCR.

The sound is good, but I've got some questions on the settings. I know I should get a "programming" CD--I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've got the fronts and center set to 10 ft. and the rears to 5 ft. in the receiver setup menu, which is the approximate distance from the couch. I've tried different sound parameters, from digital 6.1 to "PLIIC Dolby" to 5.1 stereo.

Sounds as if 5.1 stereo evenly divides up ALL sound. It's louder, but doesn't sound as distinct or properly separated. Am I correct?

The sound is often fuzzy when watching TV, but I'm pretty sure that's the cable, not the speakers, as music from CDs, and DVD video/audio, is fine.

Anyway... since so much of my setup is analog, it's kind of a strange arrangement. But I'm trying to figure out the "best" settings for everything, what crossover frequency to use (it's all at 80Hz now I think, but goes from 40 to 250 I believe), and essentially how to optimize what I've got.

Thanks...
    =S2=
  • 05-29-2005, 06:30 PM
    Siper2
    bump up :)
  • 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM
    EdwardGein
    I really am totally clueless what you're saying & what do you mean by 5.1 stereo that sounds like an oxymoron. If you're saying you are trying to listen to all CD in the all natural 5 channel & sub mode fine. Otherwise I don't understand. Anyway if you're referring to the all channel mode, you shouldn't have any of the problems you are saying. When I listen at this mode the sound and seperation are excellent and it gives everything more depth. SOme people on this board don't agree and prefer the 2 speaker mode. Nevertheless you shouldn't be having problems. Did you check up your Denon setup (DB level for each channel, bass/treble set up, big speaker/little speaker set up, dynamic range set up, etc? When all else fails phone up a professional place and pay them $75 to save you the time & aggravation. Good luck.

set
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Siper2
    Hey guys. I'm not even sure what exactly my question will be, so let me figure it out as I go, here. :D

I've got a Denon AVR-685s 6.1 receiver. Attached to that are Boston Acoustics speakers:
    CR95 front towers
    CR75 rear bookshelves
    CRC7 center
    No subwoofer (yet - Looking at BA PV700)

The center channel is one of BA's new "-7" series models, whereas the rest are the previous-generation "-5" series. Essentially they're the same, except the new stuff uses metal grilles instead of cloth, and a BA rep tells me that the cabinets have better bracing.
    Either way, I got the towers and rears at 60% off, or so, so I'm not complaining about an "old" design.

I'm using 12-ga. speaker wire from Home Depot and Lowe's. I decided to switch from bare wire to banana plugs from Radio Shack, but currently don't know if I'll keep the plugs.
    May bring them back if I can, as they were expensive and I'm not 100% sure if they're worth it. With all the cabling and connector talk around here, maybe that's one thing you guys can toss some opinions to me, about.

The only components I have are DVD, VCR and the 27" TV. The TV is non-HDTV, and only has standard connectors (one set, to boot). So I've got standard video/audio for that and the VCR, but a digital audio cable for the DVD. Once I get a new TV, I'll switch everything to component cables, except the VCR.

The sound is good, but I've got some questions on the settings. I know I should get a "programming" CD--I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've got the fronts and center set to 10 ft. and the rears to 5 ft. in the receiver setup menu, which is the approximate distance from the couch. I've tried different sound parameters, from digital 6.1 to "PLIIC Dolby" to 5.1 stereo.

Sounds as if 5.1 stereo evenly divides up ALL sound. It's louder, but doesn't sound as distinct or properly separated. Am I correct?

The sound is often fuzzy when watching TV, but I'm pretty sure that's the cable, not the speakers, as music from CDs, and DVD video/audio, is fine.

Anyway... since so much of my setup is analog, it's kind of a strange arrangement. But I'm trying to figure out the "best" settings for everything, what crossover frequency to use (it's all at 80Hz now I think, but goes from 40 to 250 I believe), and essentially how to optimize what I've got.

Thanks...
    =S2=

• 05-29-2005, 09:08 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Siper2

Thanks...
    =S2=

Yes if you're listening to 2 channel CD on 'all channel stereo' don't expect it to sound great because....drum roll...2 channel CD's are designed for 2 channel listening! Running them through a DSP generally muddies it up and introduces things that aren't supposed to be there. It takes those two channels and makes 5 'fake' channels out of it. Blasphemy!

If you want 5.1 surround music, pick up some DTS CD's. Better yet, invest in some DVD-A and SACD equipment.
  • 05-29-2005, 09:53 PM
    EdwardGein
    Don't Agree To Each Their Own
    I totally disagree with the post above but it just comes down to personal taste. All 5 channel + sub sound does is put the left on 2 speakers front & rear, puts the right on 2 speakers front & rear and blends the 2 in the center speaker in the front. There is no further reprocessing of the sound. Sorry, this isn't sacreligious. In my case & Mr. Shokhead it gives the music for regular CD's more depth. If you prefer 2 speakers fine but the other method is not really changing the sound when you think about it but giving it more depth.

If you want to take things exponentially on the same level of thought, DVD-A is technically unnatural sound as well, as you are taking a 2 channel recording and mixing it for 5 channels & it was unless it was a brand new recording, originally it just meant by the artist to listen to on 2 channels.

I reiterate you should not have trouble with the sound be it 5 channel or 2 channel if you have your settings correct.
  • 05-29-2005, 10:03 PM
    N. Abstentia
    What do you not understand about 2 channel recordings? Do you know what 2 channel means?

SACD and DVD-A NOT the same as 5 channel fake DSP because THEY ARE MASTERED FOR 5.1 SOUND.

CD'S ARE MASTERED FOR 2 CHANNEL SOUND. DSP stands for Digital Signal Processing. All Channel Stereo is a DSP....you're taking a 2 channel source and making up the other channels..HOW CAN YOU NOT REALIZE THERE IS SOME PROCESSING THERE?!?!?!?!?!

DAMN IT.

I
  • 05-29-2005, 10:23 PM
    EdwardGein
    5 Channel Sound Still Sounds Better :)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    What do you not understand about 2 channel recordings? Do you know what 2 channel means? SACD and DVD-A NOT the same as 5 channel fake DSP because THEY ARE MASTERED FOR 5.1 SOUND.
    CD'S ARE MASTERED FOR 2 CHANNEL SOUND. DSP stands for Digital Signal Processing. All Channel Stereo is a DSP....you're taking a 2 channel source and making up the other channels..HOW CAN YOU NOT REALIZE THERE IS SOME PROCESSING THERE?!?!?!?!?!DAMN IT. I

5 Channel Sound still sounds better for CDs :D :D :D :D :D
  • 05-31-2005, 01:50 PM
    Siper2
    Edward,

Hey, I just say what's on my remote, man. :D 5-channel Stereo is what it says. I know what "stereo" is, and yes I listen to CDs in 2-channel mode.

So... if nobody is familiar with this option on a Denon remote, my guess is that yes, it "splits" the sound up. That's what it sounds like, anyway. If you put your ear against each driver, it sounds exactly the same, not separated like the DTS and Dolby II modes (vocals at the center, main effects at the front, surround at the back).

As for paying somebody to set it up, well sure I could, but that's the easy way out, and I'm not going to learn much that way. :)