• 11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
    Jimmy C
    Finally bought an HDMI for my (relatively) new LCD...
    ...and WOW, I wasted about a year watching a crappy picture!

Well, I was lazy, should I get it cheap online, or just friggin' go to to a chain store and pay, heard different results from "no difference at all" (vs. analogue) to "amazing". Basically never got around to it.

Decided to go to Radio Shack and got a Monster on sale. Went home, hooked it up, and.... uugghhh... no difference. Maybe worse?!?! How can this be? I called Sony, and they walked me through a few picture adjustments - O.K., a bit better but no "WOW" factor. Then the rep said: "O.K., now we have to go into the Cablevision box" To make a long story longer, it was set on "Normal"... scrolled down to "HDMI", pressed "Enter" and that was it! Now it's an ultra-tight, bright, amazing pic.

I wonder how many people don't realize the cable has to be adjusted?
  • 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
    recoveryone
    Maybe it is has to do with your local cable company set up. I got the WOW factor as soon I hooked it up and turned to HD channel. Even when I had the components cables the PQ was great. the HDMI cable showed its WOW factor with my BD player which is required by some sets to get the full 1080p.
  • 11-18-2010, 06:48 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I think settings are probably a real issue as well as people not realizing they need the HD programming to see actual HD. Some think all you need is the TV and you are set.

I remember showing my mom her HD channels, "oh.... that is better". She was used to pushing a certain number and didn't know the HD version was on another channel number.
  • 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
    pixelthis
    I HAD been getting by with my old receivers analog component inputs, but once I tried
    HDMI I knew that was over. THE DIGITAL picture of HDMI can't be beat.
    My problem is my second gen cable box(Motorola). If I SHUT the system down with the
    input on cable, and crank it back up, the box switches to 720p! I have to get up and push the selector on front of the box.
    IF I switch to computer before shutdown, and the system cranks with the input set to computer everythings ok, I switch to cable and it stays 1080i.
    Tried everything, has something to do with the handshake.:1: