Forum Regular

Talking Final Decision Time..

First of all, thank you to everyone for your help in getting me this far...

Here's my final choices for components:

Receiver:

Sony STR-DE897 (~$300)
    pros: nice clean silver finish, high (supposed) power rating, lots of inputs, 7.1, s-video upconversion
    cons: are the amps powerful enough to drive a whole collection of 6ohm infinity speakers?

Sony STR-DA1000ES (~$400)
    pros: ES quality, gorgeous aluminum finish, inputs galore, 7.1, s-video upconversion
    cons: pricey, how good are Sony ES's amps??? (high current?)

Yamaha HTR-5750 (~$300)
    pros: inexpensive, nice silver finish, s-video upconversion, Yamaha high current design
    cons: lower wattage, only 6.1, more limited features

Yamaha HTR-5760 (~$400)
    pros: 7.1, heavy Yamaha build quality, s-video upconversion, YPAO, on-screen display, higher wattage, good inputs
    cons: only available in an ugly black finish, a little pricey

DVD / Music player:

Toshiba SD6915 (~$180)
    pros: DVD-A, SACD, MP3, WMA, DVD-R comp., Prog Scan, 5-disc changer, decent black/silver finish
    cons: ???

Samsung DVD-HD841 (~$190)
    pros: DVD-A, SACD, MP3, WMA, DVD-R comp., Prog Scan with HDTV / DVI output, gorgeous aluminum finish
    cons: single disc unit only

I'll be hooking it up to the following components:
    Fronts: Infinity Delta 60 (3-way tower, 6ohm, 50min/200peak)
    Surround Sides: Same as above
    Center: Infinity Delta Center (2-way, 6ohm, 25min/150peak)
    Surround Rears: *Undetermined*
    Video: Fisher 27" Hi-Fi Tube TV
    Misc: Sharp Hi-Fi VCR, Sony Playstation 2, higher-end Denon turntable (phono inputs!)

Any thoughts/info/feedback welcome.

Thanks!

-Olen

Forum Regular
    Based upon your speakers, I would go with the best Yamaha on your list since you will be driving all 6 Ohm speakers. The Yammy has preouts which you can use to add an external amp if you feel lack of power.

Quote Originally Posted by nick4433
    I would go with the best Yamaha on your list since you will be driving all 6 Ohm speakers. The Yammy has preouts which you can use to add an external amp if you feel lack of power.
    Hey Nick

There you go again Nick. Advising to buy a receiver, and then advising to buy an "added" power amplifier if needed more power.

Why not advice to buy a separate pre/pro and power amplifier at the get go, so one doesn't have to wonder if it will have enough power if buying a receiver. Remember that when buying a receiver, you pay for its power section also (probably more than its pre/pro section). So if buying a receiver for the pre pro alone, then money is wasted on the amplifier section of receiver

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by nick4433
    Based upon your speakers, I would go with the best Yamaha on your list since you will be driving all 6 Ohm speakers. The Yammy has preouts which you can use to add an external amp if you feel lack of power.
    I don't think the sony's digital amp will power a 6ohm load very well. the yamaha would do okay for you.

Forum Regular
    definetely the 5760, you get the preouts which you may think you dont need now, but down the road you may want to upgrade and it makes it ALOT easier.

also i thought you said you were close to the border, why not just sneak up here into canada and pick up a silver 5760 from future shop them drive back down. i was looking at the silver ones in future shop awhile back and they look great, and there solid heavy buggers.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by uncooked
    definetely the 5760, you get the preouts which you may think you dont need now, but down the road you may want to upgrade and it makes it ALOT easier.

also i thought you said you were close to the border, why not just sneak up here into canada and pick up a silver 5760 from future shop them drive back down. i was looking at the silver ones in future shop awhile back and they look great, and there solid heavy buggers.
    what are some good stores in vancouver BC?

How much does it cost at future shop? $699ca?

Forum Regular
    if you walked into a future shop im sure you could get them down a bit.

and yes $699 canadian at the moment. how much is that american? more or less then down there?

Forum Regular
    if you walked into a future shop im sure you could get them down a bit.

and yes $699 canadian at the moment. how much is that american? more or less then down there?
    $521US according to today's exchange rate. That's significantly more especially considering that Best Buy and Fry's are having a price war over this particular model and have the price down to $399US. I've also found the 5760 at reliable online stores for as little as $330US. I doubt the future shop in vancouver would be willing to compete price-wise with a best buy in seattle... (let alone an internet store). :-)

Anybody know of some good canadian internet stores? Or anywhere *besides* future shop that might carry this model?

Thanks,

Olen

Forum Regular
    maybe phone future shop up here and ask them if you drove up here if they would match the price of what it should be at best buy. after all the conversions are done and everything. i wouldnt be surprised if they said they would. you might as well phone and ask.

Forum Regular
    maybe phone future shop up here and ask them if you drove up here if they would match the price of what it should be at best buy. after all the conversions are done and everything. i wouldnt be surprised if they said they would. you might as well phone and ask.
    i guess it's worth a try.

is future shop the only home electronics store in canada..?

Forum Regular
    no theres a&b sound.

www.absound.ca

and visions

www.visions.ca

thoughs are our main electronic stores around here.

and of course www.futureshop.ca

ab sound carries different yamaha products though, and visions im not even sure they carry yamaha. only kenwood, onkyo, pioneer. stuff that future shop doesnt have.

Thread Information