• 10-20-2004, 09:28 AM
    saul
    Faroudja DCDI or Silicon Image DVD players
    Just was wondering if there is much difference with DVD players with this technology than with your standard progressive scan player. I'm wanting to upgrade, but didn't know if it would make any difference with my 65" Mitsu HDTV set? If so, what players would you recommend? Has anyone heard when DVDHD players will be on the U.S. market? Thanks
  • 10-21-2004, 06:30 PM
    johnnyk8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saul
    Just was wondering if there is much difference with DVD players with this technology than with your standard progressive scan player. I'm wanting to upgrade, but didn't know if it would make any difference with my 65" Mitsu HDTV set? If so, what players would you recommend? Has anyone heard when DVDHD players will be on the U.S. market? Thanks

Hey Saul,
    I have been doing some serious shopping for a Prog. Scan DVD with the chip that you mention.

Here is the list of some affordable ones.
    Panasonic RP-82
    Panasonic XP-30
    Panasonic XP-50
    Panasonic CP-72
    Panasonic RP-56
    Denon DVD-910
    Denon DVD-1600
    Denon DVD-1910
    Denon DVD-2200
    Denon DVM-2815
    Zenith - DVB-318

I am sure there are a bunch more out there but this is a list of the affordable good players.
    I got this info from http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

You will notice that some of the best players ever made are actually not the Krells, or the Meridians. They are all Denon's and Pannies. Finding one on ebay is the problem since Panny stopped making the really good players with thie DCDi chips. I lost 2 auctions last night. $61.50 for the Panny RP-56!!!

I have been told it is going to make a huge difference but the dealers can never show you because they never carry non progressive dvd players to compare.

There's a long winded answer to a question you did'nt even ask. Just look at that link I sent added here and start obsessing like I am. You can learn a lot from that link
  • 10-22-2004, 09:05 AM
    saul
    My question is that I have a progressive scan player now, but was wondering if there is any difference by going to a player with that Faroudja chip. It looks as though me and you are on the same page between this post and the other post for HD programming! Talk to you later.
  • 10-22-2004, 01:47 PM
    johnnyk8
    Quote:

My question is that I have a progressive scan player now, but was wondering if there is any difference by going to a player with that Faroudja chip. It looks as though me and you are on the same page between this post and the other post for HD programming! Talk to you later.

The Faroudja's are great but I would not expect it will make THAt much of a difference since you are already running a Prog. scanner. Me on the other hand, I'm still running an old interlacer so it will make more of an impact.

If you know what you are looking for you will see it. I say save your cash untill we can score some real HD DVD players in the next year or 3.
  • 10-22-2004, 05:13 PM
    saul
    I think you're right! I wish they were available now, but I'm scared to see the price tag when they come out! There is a Panasonic RP62 on ebay now for $87. Here is my email address if you need me to send that link over to you. sepate@msn.com Take Care and good luck bidding!
  • 10-23-2004, 05:08 AM
    johnnyk8
    Quote:

I think you're right! I wish they were available now, but I'm scared to see the price tag when they come out! There is a Panasonic RP62 on ebay now for $87. Here is my email address if you need me to send that link over to you. sepate@msn.com Take Care and good luck bidding!

Yep they are gonna cost big bucks cause there are schmucks like us willing to spend a hefty dollar on that sort of thing.

RP62- Thanks for the info I will track it down.

Later
  • 10-23-2004, 08:35 AM
    saul
    I just received notice the auction just went off. I didn't know but my dad was bidding on it also and got outbid by $1. I think he is going to wait until HD DVD comes out also. Anyway, I wil send any info. I can to you if I run across a good deal on a progressive scan or faroudja dvd player. Later