Exactly how bad is it to put a non AT screen in front of a center channel speaker??

I am at my wits end with this new projector set up. Without boring everyone with the details, there is just no perfect way to get the HT set up that I want due to many obstacles *girlfriend included

So I have come to the conclusion that the lesser of all evils involves putting my new Da-Lite Hi Power 106" pull down screen in front of my center channel. However, the screen is NOT acoustically transparent.

I realize this is a no no, but how bad is it? My center channel is a fairly large Infinity BETA C360, 3 way. It is pretty huge and puts out some serious volume. Can I compensate by just pumping up the volume? Would removing the speaker grill help to overcome the problem?

Thanks for any advice !!

Center channel specs:

Specs
    45 Hz-20 kHz frequency response
    91 dB sensitivity
    10-200 watts power rating
    8 ohm impedance
    weight 34 pounds
    size 8- 1/2" H x 25-5/8" L x 11-3/4" D
    Magnetically shielded

You won't know until you actually install it. The problem with using any material that's not acoustically transparent is that it will absorb and/or reflect different frequencies differently. Even acoustically transparent speaker cloth will deaden the high frequencies to some degree. Your processor/receiver should allow you to raise the levels so that they match the other speakers, but depending on how the screen messes with the frequency response, it might not sound too good.

If you find that the timbre is altered too much, then you should consider switching off the center speaker. In my experience, it's better to go with no center speaker than to go with a significantly mismatched center speaker. Your processor will create a phantom center effect, so take advantage of that.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Any way you can buy or build a short stand and place the speaker underneath/in front of the screen?

ditto Wooch's advice

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    You won't know until you actually install it. The problem with using any material that's not acoustically transparent is that it will absorb and/or reflect different frequencies differently. Even acoustically transparent speaker cloth will deaden the high frequencies to some degree. Your processor/receiver should allow you to raise the levels so that they match the other speakers, but depending on how the screen messes with the frequency response, it might not sound too good.

In my mind there is no doubt that the screen will modify the sound of your center channel to a substantial degree -- so much so that you might be better off without it.

A center channel speaker is necessary really only when some listeners are seated relatively far to one side with respect to the screen. This is because the dialog and other sounds, normally carried by the center speaker, would tend to be perceived as coming from the closer front, (left or right), speaker rather than from the screen area.

Tried both ways. Remeber to set you receiver or prepro to "No Center Speaker" for that part of the experiment.
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-13-2009 at 07:36 AM.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Do not try this!!

Putting a non acoustically transparent screen in front of the speaker will severely roll off the high frequencies, create strong reflections behind the screen which will cause smearing of the signal and dialog will suffer intelligibility issues. Even preforated screens spread the highs as they pass through the screen to the point it scatters those high along the side walls and ceiling. The effect is a noticeable roll off of high frequencies.

Speakers should only be placed behind woven screens, as they are the only true acoustically transparent screens currently on the market.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs