Forum Regular

This Ever Happen to You Explain the Unexplainable?

Curious if something like this ever happened to anyone else here as it doesn't make sense to my non technical mind & I'm not imagining things. I have a 512 Black Zen Nano Plus which I love & just bought a Black 1 GB Zen Nano Plus. To begin with they're both listed as .8 ounces without a battery. I weighed them and noticed an immediate difference, albeit slight. I went to the Post Office used their official scale & both weighted the identical .8 pound (scale won't go to a second decimal place). My buddy who works at the Post Office also thought the 1 GB which is the exact same size, weighted more to & he also weighted it on his scale with the same .8 ounce results. I then set my 1GB player to the exact same settings including "rock" EQ as the 512 player & transferred as a test, 3 of the exact same songs on my computer that were in the 512 player to the 1GB player, to compare sound quality which I listened to on both players at the same volume level with the same headphones. Again, I noticed a slight difference in the sound quality- my 512 player had slightly better highs & lows. To quote the "Joe Shmoe Show"- "What is Going On?"- this makes no sense whatsoever. I tried calling the maufacturer and I got the usual Casey Stengle double talk. The result is, even though the differences are small & maybe not noticeable to most people, I notice them & am going to return it.

Does it weigh more as you add more songs to it?

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Does it weigh more as you add more songs to it?
    Only if he listens to heavy metal.

Most people really don't care if a 1GB Mp3 player a has 'slight difference in sound quality' compared to someone else's 512MB Mp3 player of the same brand. Most people wouldn't return their perfectly fine Mp3 player because of this either. If you only had ever listened to your 512MB player and never listened to the 1GB under the same circumstances, would you not just be happy with the sound quality? For crying out loud, its only a Mp3 player, not a full out stereo system. It's meant only to make taking music with you very easy, not nessicarily give you the best quality sound ever (c'mon, its only Mp3 quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    To begin with they're both listed as .8 ounces without a battery. I weighed them and noticed an immediate difference, albeit slight. I went to the Post Office used their official scale & both weighted the identical .8 pound (scale won't go to a second decimal place). My buddy who works at the Post Office also thought the 1 GB which is the exact same size, weighted more to & he also weighted it on his scale with the same .8 ounce results.
    Why would you bother to mention this? If they weigh the some on the scale - then they are the same weight - no matter what you or your buddy thinks. Even if one weighed .813 and the other at .844 does it really matter? Essentially, they are both 8 ounces. I would hate to be the customer service guy at the receiving end of your phone calls about product - you're really spliting hairs here.

Tough crowd.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular

Evil Betty What's Your Point Hate the Game not the Player!

Don't understand what your point is. If I never had my 512 Zen Nano Plus player, I would be perfectly happy with the sound and weight of the 1 GB model of it but because I do, I do notice a slight difference and as such I don't want the 1GB model of it & am sticking to my 512 model. I'm sorry that you don't feel that I'm entitled to make this decision. As far as calling a company to know what the true weight is in 2 decimal places of something I've purchased, excuse me! If you didn't have people like me calling in these questions, the customer service department personnel would not have their jobs so I am performing a valuable role to society. And yes, the .25 of an ounce makes a difference too me.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 11-08-2005 at 11:09 AM.

I think the thing is....you don't buy an MP3 player with sound quality in mind. All it does is play MP3 files.

That's kinda like buying a lawn tractor expecting it to ride like a BMW then taking it back when you find out that in fact it does not ride like a BMW. However, it cuts the grass like nobodys business. The BMW can't cut shiite.

So...an MP3 player may sound like crap, but you can take it jogging, on the bus, to the golf course.....but it will never sound like a high end stereo.

A high end stereo sounds spectacular, but you can't take it on the bus.

Mutant from table 9
    Hey, hey, hey... In Ed's defense... a quarter ounce can go a long way. Back in college sometimes we had to make due with an eighth or a lid. If my quarter disappeared too, I'd go looking for it. But the post office, man? You'll catch a federal rap sending that **** through the mail!

Maybe that extra 1/4 oz. helps those MP3's sound good

Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Maybe that extra 1/4 oz. helps those MP3's sound good
    I think an investigation into this is overdue. Got a light?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

LMAO...hahaha

music fanatic
    The weight thing could have to do with how the weight is distributed within the player, which would lead to differences in the inertia and center of inertia of each player.
    Like someone mentioned before, it could also have to do with the precision of your scale. The difference between .7500 and .8499 is around 12%, so there would probably room for some noticable difference in that range.

Forum Regular

Thanks That's The Most Logical Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by bacchanal
    The weight thing could have to do with how the weight is distributed within the player, which would lead to differences in the inertia and center of inertia of each player. Like someone mentioned before, it could also have to do with the precision of your scale. The difference between .7500 and .8499 is around 12%, so there would probably room for some noticable difference in that range.
    Thanks, that makes sense Appreciate the explanation

Thread Information