• 12-14-2009, 10:38 AM
    BadAssJazz
    Ears or Eyes: If you could have one or the other...?
    Of the two choices, which would you prefer and why?

• 1. An entry level TV/projector with a state of the art audiophile-grade audio system.

• 2. A state of the art TV/projector with an entry level audio system.

Where do your priorities lie?
  • 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
    Hyfi
    I would have to pick #1.

I would rather have the audio quality than worry about the video quality.

I do however have 2 Sony HDTV LCDs but I would not compare to State of the Art projectors.
  • 12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
    dakatabg
    I will pick - ears!!!

Video quality doesn't bother my much but the sound does for me!
  • 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM
    frahengeo
    I would much rather have the need to replace my TV/Projector than to have the need to replace my Amps, Pre-Pro, CD/DVD/Blu-Ray, and Speaker.
    I would only have to shop for 1 item, instead of many.
  • 12-14-2009, 01:19 PM
    But if you were blind, you'd never really know what your wife looked like. Conversely, if you were deaf you'd never hear what she sounds like.
  • 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
    BadAssJazz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nightflier
    But if you were blind, you'd never really know what your wife looked like. Conversely, if you were deaf you'd never hear what she sounds like.

Whether blind or deaf, you could still feel her...and I'm sure she'd feel great!!!
  • 12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
    02audionoob
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    Whether blind or deaf, you could still feel her...and I'm sure she'd feel great!!!

I suspect the same would be true for Penelope Cruz.
  • 12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
    audio amateur
    I guess it depends what you mean by 'entry level'. Aside that, I would choose option no1 because it still boasts a projector:D

In real life, I would rather be deaf than blind. God forbid being both. Funny that, on my weekly stroll/window licking in town on Friday I was stopped by someone working for an organism that supports deaf blind people.
  • 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM
    Ahem...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I suspect the same would be true for Penelope Cruz.

Or Sandra Bernhardt, LOL.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/img/8/...raBernhard.jpg
  • 12-14-2009, 02:57 PM
    audio amateur
    Thank you nightflier...
  • 12-14-2009, 04:13 PM
    Feanor
    Quote:

• 1. An entry level TV/projector with a state of the art audiophile-grade audio system.

# 1. In any case right now I'm still watching a 27" CRT.
  • 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

First off, I must say I'm really disappointed with the subject of this thread, since based on the title I was expecting to find our very first Audioreview Serial Killer...

Secondly, based on the fact that I have a 20inch TV (I rent a furnished house) with rabbit ears (didn't even bother to hook up cable - though I opted for the fastest internet connection available from the Cable company).... but I have a $2K Headphone setup, I guess my choice would be option 1....
  • 12-14-2009, 04:32 PM
    Ajani
    Quote:

That's not necessarily a bad thing...
  • 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM
    kexodusc
    #1 for sure...even entry level projectors offer huge fun-factor...augmented with a killer HT sounds system, that'd be the way to go for me...
  • 12-14-2009, 04:37 PM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani
    First off, I must say I'm really disappointed with the subject of this thread, since based on the title I was expecting to find our very first Audioreview Serial Killer...

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha....reps for hilarity! Come to think of it...anyone heard from Rich lately?:sosp:
  • 12-14-2009, 05:36 PM
    TheHills44060
    Number 1 all the way. I have absolutely no interest in home theater or surround sound.
  • 12-14-2009, 07:49 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Like Feanor I currently watch a 27" CRT TV. My 31" died. It was 11 years old and not worth repairing. I'm saving for a new TT. So number 1 is where I'm at.
  • 12-14-2009, 08:51 PM
    BadAssJazz
    Quote:

You'd be amazed what the sense of touch does for you. There are blind sculpters after all. And as for sound, the body makes vibrations. You may be deaf and not able to understand a word. but if she is pressed against you, you will know when she is speaking. groaning, whatever. She will resonate.
  • 12-15-2009, 11:21 AM
    Well it was meant more as a joke, but you are probably correct.

I guess the real determining factor, though is weather one is born with a disability or it occurs over time. Beethoven comes to mind: he went deaf slowly, and it must have been pretty tortuous for him to loose the one connection he had with his great gift.
  • 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I would have to choose #1 as well. It is a lot harder to put together a good audio system with good synergy between components than it is to choose a good screen and good projection system. There are many sources that teach us how to marry a projection system to a screen, but not much that tells us which components work well with others.
  • 12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I would have to choose #1 as well. It is a lot harder to put together a good audio system with good synergy between components than it is to choose a good screen and good projection system. There are many sources that teach us how to marry a projection system to a screen, but not much that tells us which components work well with others.

You are so anal Talky!
    The specs have been finalized for decades, you can pretty much put anything with anything else.
    Sounding good is another matter, but that is more a matter of taste than anything else,
    and the way a certain speaker works with another is a constant source of experimentation.
    Impedance of a speaker used to be critical, still important, but a lot of receivers can handle 4 and 8 ohm speakers just fine.
    The most problematic part of setting up an audio system is speaker placement, room treatment, and the type sound you are looking for.
    And of course the more cash you have the better.
    But mixing and matching components will get you something that will play music,
    not that complicated al all.
    How good the combination is depends on the dedication of the person putting it together,
    how much they care is the main concern.:1:
  • 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

I don't find your question very realistic. For someone who has a truly SOTA audio system costing half a mil or so, why would video even be used? I would always choose to relegate that to a secondary system. As did an audio reviewer friend of mine. He has a very nice Sony projector and Magneplanar based HT/MC system, but virtually all of his music listening is done on the far better SOTA two channel system.

rw