• 10-06-2005, 09:20 PM
    EdwardGein
    DVR Question Getting Rid of Commercials &
    I'm not sure if the rules of DVR's supplied by the Cable company (which I have) are the same as TIVO but would appreciate any info to the following questions:

    1. Is there a way to program your recording so it bypasses commercials? I originally thought this feature was part of Tivo to say the least. Right now, I just fast forward the commercials. Any other options.

    2. More then once, I've been a victim of some loser power hungry TV programmer who has their shows go over the alloted Time Frame (they usually start a minute or 2 later as well) & thus I miss the endings of some shows- thanks FX & HBO amongst others. Is there was way to program your DVR so that it will cover any "overings". If so, if you were recording 2 other shows, will that then mess up your scheduled recorded shows?

    Any help & info welcome. PS as part of my Public Service to aid others who are under Cable Providers who withold facts & information from you, if you are renting out an HD DVR from Time Warner- do not rent out (if you have this return it immediately) the Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD DVR, get the Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR instead. The 8000 does not provide 5.1 sound no matter how much some third world customer service person will tell you nor does it let you make external DVD or VHS recordings from it. The 8300 Model does. If neither of those 2 things are important to you, don't bother. While Time warner here in LA gives me good service for my money, they provide their customers zero technical information, in fact they provide total misinformation. I've had to rely on other Time Warner customers on this board to learn about improvements and new options. The company strangely does a terrible job about informing its customers about new options & improvements in a timely manner which is strange as it would increase their revenue.
  • 10-06-2005, 09:36 PM
    N. Abstentia
    My DirecTV Tivo's let you specify to record something however many minutes before and after you want. I normally do 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after to be safe. Look in your 'recording options' for each program.

    And I beleive the advertisers had a sh*t fit about Tivo bypassing commercials so they lobbied to have them remove that feature, so fast forward it is. That sounds like some crap the recording industry would pull.
  • 10-06-2005, 09:54 PM
    EdwardGein
    [QUOTE=N. Abstentia]My DirecTV Tivo's let you specify to record something however many minutes before and after you want. I normally do 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after to be safe. Look in your 'recording options' for each program.

    Does the 2 minute overlay affect other programs you have scheduled o record. I can't record more then 2 programs at a time.

    Is your TV set up in place? You ought to charge admission. This will give someone a laugh. My brother in law goes to watch the Jets games at a a rich retired dentist's home on the guys NFL Ticket package. The Dentist just bought a big screen (not sure if its plasma) HD TV but because NFL Ticket charges an extra $100 or so to watch the game in HD, won't pay the money out of principle. What a jerk!
  • 10-07-2005, 12:17 AM
    eisforelectronic
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    My DirecTV Tivo's let you specify to record something however many minutes before and after you want. I normally do 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after to be safe. Look in your 'recording options' for each program.

    And I beleive the advertisers had a sh*t fit about Tivo bypassing commercials so they lobbied to have them remove that feature, so fast forward it is. That sounds like some crap the recording industry would pull.

    This is also true of the SA explorer 8000 & 8300. Commercial skip was an original feature that was taken out before release.
  • 10-07-2005, 05:56 AM
    N. Abstentia
    I imagine that if you have more than 2 programs you want to record at the same time back to back on different channels that the 2 minutes would impose on the other program, but that's never come up for me. MOST programs don't need the extra time, but you learn as you go. Rescue Me and Lost need the extra 2 for sure.

    And yep, I have my projector and sound ready to go, I updated the web page last night. Link below...
  • 10-07-2005, 08:19 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    This will give someone a laugh. My brother in law goes to watch the Jets games at a a rich retired dentist's home on the guys NFL Ticket package. The Dentist just bought a big screen (not sure if its plasma) HD TV but because NFL Ticket charges an extra $100 or so to watch the game in HD, won't pay the money out of principle. What a jerk!

    Lemme get this straight: Your bro-in-law goes over another guy's house to mooch a Jet game because he's too damn cheap to buy a big screen, DirecTV, HD, or any combination of the above yet the dentist is the jerk?!? If nothing else Hershon, you're consistent.
  • 10-07-2005, 08:21 AM
    topspeed
    Nice job, brother!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    And yep, I have my projector and sound ready to go, I updated the web page last night. Link below...

    The room looks great! Here's to playing whatever you want, whenever you want, as loud as you want!

    Congrats!
  • 10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by topspeed
    Lemme get this straight: Your bro-in-law goes over another guy's house to mooch a Jet game because he's too damn cheap to buy a big screen, DirecTV, HD, or any combination of the above yet the dentist is the jerk?!? If nothing else Hershon, you're consistent.

    No your getting this wrong. His dentist friend has NFL Ticket. His dentist friend bought a big screen HD. His rich dentist friend refuses to pay an extra $100 or so to get NFL Ticket in HD on principle & so they're watching the games as a regular NFL ticket broadcast.. My brother in law basically goes there because he watches the Jet games in Los Angeles each week at this guys house with other Jet fans. My brother in law has HD TV but doesn't subscribe to NFL Ticket.
  • 10-07-2005, 03:48 PM
    N. Abstentia
    I think that was his point....you're saying the dentist is a cheapskate for not paying for the HD service...yet you say nothing about your bro in law mooching off the guy. He won't even pay for the Sunday ticket so the dentist is a step ahead of him :)
  • 10-07-2005, 04:54 PM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    I think that was his point....you're saying the dentist is a cheapskate for not paying for the HD service...yet you say nothing about your bro in law mooching off the guy. He won't even pay for the Sunday ticket so the dentist is a step ahead of him :)

    Nah, not quite. Because my brother in law goes to this guys place for the Jet games, it only because he enjoys their company. If it weren't for that he'd buy NFL ticket for himself in HD.
    I still don't understand why each guy doesn't pay an equal share to get HD there as its totally ridiculous not to watch the games on HD.

    Hell, if I had your set up, I'd charge them all admission fee.