Forum Regular

Explain HD Picture Differences Again on LCDS, CRT & DPL & Plasma

In terms of HD picture alone are there any definate rules on which TV type will give one better pictures? Let's assume we are talking about Name Brand Manufacturers like RCA, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony , etc. instead of No Name Brands. Will an LCD TV always give a better picture then a CRT? How about DLP versus plasma? And so on. Thus is someone better off buying a CRT with a better picture then an LCD, or is that impossible to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    In terms of HD picture alone are there any definate rules on which TV type will give one better pictures? Let's assume we are talking about Name Brand Manufacturers like RCA, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony , etc. instead of No Name Brands. Will an LCD TV always give a better picture then a CRT? How about DLP versus plasma? And so on. Thus is someone better off buying a CRT with a better picture then an LCD, or is that impossible to begin with?
    Here is a great link that can maybe help you.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-.../TV_chart.html
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Onkyo TX-SR606
    PS3 Bluray
    Denon DVD-1920
    Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma
    HR21 HD DVR
    Paradigm Esprit (front), Focus (rear), CC270 (center)

2 - 15" Dayton HF subwoofers
    Two Soundstream M1 monoblock amps for the subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Look here for an easy to understand, interactive tutorial that explains some of the major differences between digital projection technologies! This site loads quickly, then you click on "Begin Demo" in the bottom right corner!
    Hope this helps.......
    Robert
    Projector: JVC DLA-SX21U (LCOS 1.5m Pixel)
    Lens: Panamorph PSO-SX21
    Screen: 133" 16:9
    AVR: Denon (Flagship) 5800
    LRC-Mains: Definitive Technology (Flagship) BP3000-TL
    Surrounds: Atlantic Technology (Flush-Mount) System 20eSR
    LFE-Subwoofer: Sunfire True Subwoofer
    HD Satellite / DVR: VIP DVR622 Receiver (30+ Hrs of HD)
    HD VCR: JVC SR-VD400US Pro D-VHS (True 1080i transmission via Component)

Dedicated Home Theater Specs & Pics

cam
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Hey non-Smokey, I might be mistaken but I was reading on the forums over at ecoustics.com and I came across an older thread, from early this year and I noticed 1 response from a guy named Woodman. It wasn't the same kind of response I remember from Woodman but it could have been him.

I think he is still alive and kickin over at ecoustics.com. But who cares now, we've got edtyct. AR's new and improved TV guy.

Quote Originally Posted by cam
    Hey non-Smokey, I might be mistaken but I was reading on the forums over at ecoustics.com and I came across an older thread, from early this year and I noticed 1 response from a guy named Woodman. It wasn't the same kind of response I remember from Woodman but it could have been him.

I think he is still alive and kickin over at ecoustics.com. But who cares now, we've got edtyct. AR's new and improved TV guy.
    If Woodman is still around, I am sure he would have post here also. But it has been a while. I think he was in his seventies.

I read edtyct post also. He seem very knowledgeable about video products. It seem the torch has been passed

Forum Regular

3 LCD and LCOS

What is the difference between a 3 LCD set and a LCOS set??
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    7 OutlawAudio M-200 monoblocks
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    Infinity IL-10 Back Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

To be really simplistic about it, LCoS is a cross between DLP and LCD. It's more like three-chip LCD in color production in that it avoids the compromised single-chip design with color wheel that most DLPs have. It differs from LCD in that it positions the pixel electronics in a way that reduces the amount of stray light impinging on black levels and increases the fill factor, thus minimizing any lingering screen-door effect. Different manufacturers put their own spin on the basic principles. In theory, LCoS has a leg up on the competing fixed-pixel displays, though that's no guarantee that any LCoS will look appreciably better than another type of display, since the other variables come into play.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by swgiust
    What is the difference between a 3 LCD set and a LCOS set??
    Explanation of LCoS Technology, and comparisons to LCD & DLP can be read by clicking here

Here is an excerpt for the above link........."Since LCOS does not sell in the volumes that LCD and DLP do, many assume it is not as good as LCD or DLP. Nothing could be more wrong. Many well-informed videophiles seeking the most elegant home theater solutions opt for products using LCOS technology because of its unique blend of performance characteristics that neither LCD nor DLP offer."

Robert
    Projector: JVC DLA-SX21U (LCOS 1.5m Pixel)
    Lens: Panamorph PSO-SX21
    Screen: 133" 16:9
    AVR: Denon (Flagship) 5800
    LRC-Mains: Definitive Technology (Flagship) BP3000-TL
    Surrounds: Atlantic Technology (Flush-Mount) System 20eSR
    LFE-Subwoofer: Sunfire True Subwoofer
    HD Satellite / DVR: VIP DVR622 Receiver (30+ Hrs of HD)
    HD VCR: JVC SR-VD400US Pro D-VHS (True 1080i transmission via Component)

Dedicated Home Theater Specs & Pics

Thread Information