• 11-23-2005, 03:13 PM
    RPQ
    DVD Recorder - using "pause" with DVD-Rs
    Rookie question if there ever was one... but appreciate any info for those who own DVD recorders as I'm about to purchase my first one...

I'll be hooking up a Digital8 camcorder to the DVD recorder (likely the $199 Pioneer, Panasonic or Toshiba model). Will this work:

Record section of tape to a DVD-R (or DVD+R), hit pause on the DVD recorder, search for another section of tape on the Digital8 machine and then unclick the pause button to add the new section of tape to the DVD-R.

Basically I want to create a DVD-R and want to pause the recording so that I can edit out sections of the Digital8 tape that I don't want to include on the DVD-R. This is the same type of simple editing that you can do all day long with any VCR. Just want to see if a DVD recorder - without a hard drive - can do the same thing? Otherwise I'll spend extra cash for the hard drive models or just get a video editing card/software for my PC.

Thanks!
  • 11-23-2005, 04:52 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Yep, no problem. This is the same method you would use to record a TV program and cutting out the commercials.
  • 11-23-2005, 06:39 PM
    RPQ
    Great - thanks!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    Yep, no problem. This is the same method you would use to record a TV program and cutting out the commercials.

Thanks (!) for the good news.
  • 11-23-2005, 07:36 PM
    EdwardGein
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RPQ
    Thanks (!) for the good news.

Yeah exactly the same as with a video tape Hpwever note, that in some cases, if you put your DVD on pause, there might be a time limit when it automatically unpauses, I'm not sure. If I were you I'd just use a bunch of DVDRW's as if you screw up you can use the disc again. That's basically the way I've learned to do everything through trial & error.
  • 11-24-2005, 02:56 AM
    RPQ
    True...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Yeah exactly the same as with a video tape Hpwever note, that in some cases, if you put your DVD on pause, there might be a time limit when it automatically unpauses, I'm not sure. If I were you I'd just use a bunch of DVDRW's as if you screw up you can use the disc again. That's basically the way I've learned to do everything through trial & error.

Good point... my VCR does the same thing. Pause only holds for a few minutes so you really have to know what portions of the camcorder footage you want to place on the VHS tape ahead of time.