Forum Regular

Question DVD-R & cable box hook up...

Looking for some advice on hooking up a Panny DVD recorder to a Motorola DCT6200 box and a Panny plasma. I have an older Panny receiver (HA-SE70) that doesn't have HDMI inputs, so I think that's where I am having issues with tying in the digital sound. Can anyone offer any hints?

I don't see anything online about the HA-SE70 and you didn't give a model number on the DVD recorder, but I would guess you are going to be limited to playing analog audio through the receiver and recording analog on the DVD recorder. In that case, you would run the HDMI wire from the cable box to the plasma TV. Then run the analog outputs from the cable box to the receiver. The DVD recorder would be connected by inputs and outputs to the receiver. Am I missing anything?

Forum Regular
    Thanks for your reply. The DVD recorder is a DMR-EZ27. The TV is a TH50PZ77U. Right now I am running an HMDI cable from the DVD directly into the TV, plus a HDMI/DVI cable from the Motorola box into the TV. My RF cable comes into the Motorola box, then I have S-video going into the DVD for video and basic audio connectors (red & white) for sound. I have an optical digital audio cable from the Motorola box into the optical in on the receiver. I am not too concerned about sound quality for DVD recordings, but am disappointed by the DVD player and it's supposed 1080p upconverting qualities. I know the HDMI cable is for video and audio, but since my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, am I missing out on the correct way to hook it all together and get the best quality video and "acceptable" audio???

It sounds like you have the best possible video just as you have it all set up. You also seem to have the best possible audio, except perhaps to confirm that your DVD's digital audio is connected to your receiver. The DVD should send an upconverted signal to the TV through the HDMI. What's disappointing in particular? The quality of the image?

Forum Regular
    Right now I only have a digital audio connection between the cable box and the receiver. The DVD audio is tied into the box by regular stereo connections. Will I be able to get true digital 5.1 if I get another optical cable and tie it from the DVD to the receiver?
    As far as the image is concerned, I guess I was expecting to see something more spectacular by upconverting standard DVD's on the DVD-R to the supposed 1080, since my TV is a 1080p capable. I realize that only a blue-ray player will give me that picture, but I was surprized to not see any difference from my old Panny 480 type DVD to this new one.

If you connect a digital output from the DVD to a 5.1 receiver, you should get 5.1 audio. That certainly the way I do it. As for upconverting, either your DVD player does the upconversion or your TV will do it. It's only a matter of which one will do it better. Apparently it's a tie.

Suspended
    I agree, you do have the set up correct except you do need to add a digital audio connection from DVD to receiver. Digital connection is the ONLY way to get 5.1 or better.

It sounds like you know what you are doing but have you gone into the DVD player's set up menu to set it to HDMI out and the resolution to 1080p? I'd think Panasonic wouldn't be so bad but upsampling is definitely not all the same. If you've done that already, try setting the output to 480p and letting you TV do the conversion to see if any improvement.

Forum Regular
    Thank you both. I have tried going through the set up menus, but will go back again from the start and see if I can "tweak" it any better. I don't mind playing around with the system when I have to turn it all on, but my better half is getting frustrated because you can't just "turn on the TV" anymore...!
    There seems to be confusion between the receiver and the DVD and the cable box. If I want sound on the DVD, I have to select "TV" on the receiver. If I want sound on the box, I have to select DVD. I hope the extra optical cable will solve this.

Although I’m not an expert in these things, I would say this…If your receiver plays the sounds from the cable box when you select DVD, your receiver is apparently set to get audio for its “DVD” setting from the optical cable. You would need to change that to an analog setting so the receiver knows it is supposed to get its audio for the “DVD” setting from the analog inputs.

Suspended
    No, nothing analog should go to the HT receiver, remember 5.1, or better, can ONLY be done via digital connection.

Your wife cannot simply watch TV because you are using a DVI connection either at TV or the satelite box. DVI is ONLY video, no audio, so when adapting no way for audio to get through. When not using surround for regulare TV viewing run a red/white analog audio from the satelite box to the TV.

You said you are using HDMI from DVD to TV so you should get sound there without the receiver and hook a digital connection to the HT receiver for 5.1. Actually some TV's will provide a digital output but that may just complicate matters more.

My earlier comment is not based what what should go to the receiver in order to get 5.1. That's a different issue. My reply is based on what is happening at the receiver in order to cause the described situation where the receiver produces the TV sound when set to "DVD". And if the desire is to simply turn on the TV, then the solution would appear to be to connect the cable box HDMI to the TV. The cable box optical and coax digital audio would still be available for the receiver.

By the way, 5,1 is not limited to only digital. My Denon receiver has 5.1 analog inputs. Some players have 5.1 analog outputs, although it's rare.
    Last edited by 02audionoob; 11-16-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Suspended
    Well, I did say "ONLY", didn't I? I wasn't thinking of multi-channel analog in this instance but it is true that certainly is another way to get 5.1.

In order to get the right sound with what the receiver's display says he will have to switch the connections to where they coincide with the display or if the receiver will allow switching this around internally that might be easier.

Forum Regular
    Somewhat fixed...got the 2nd optical cable and now have cable box = TV on the receiver and DVD recorder = DVD on the receiver. Both with digital signals out (5.1 etc)...!!!
    Still no luck with the picture on the player. Played with every damned setting each and every way. I have a customer service ticket into the Panasonic website to see if they can offer any "secrets" to improving this. By the time I get it figured out, maybe Blue-Ray players will be under $100...!

Suspended
    It could be a HDCP compliance issue. I don't think it's the TV because it accepts the "hand shake" from your satelite box. You might put another call/email to Panasonic to see if your DVD recorder is HDCP compliant.

If you aren't familiar, HDCP, is copy protection and in order for two components to work together via HDMI they both have to be compliant and share what is referred to as the "hand shake".

Thread Information