Forum Regular

DVD Player suggestion need

Hi all,

I need a DVD Player, it is price about USD 400, Brand can be Denon, Onkyo, Sony etc ...

And it need the component can output 1080i or 720p ...

I had read some dvd player ... and thinking Denon 1920 is the good choose ... but don't know it component can output 720p or 1080i or not

And all the DVD player suggestion here need have the 5.1 analog output, for the sacd ....

Thx

I assume that you mean a player that will upconvert standard 480i DVD to 1080i or 720p. No current US, Japanese, or European player to my knowledge allows such upconversion through component outputs, in compliance with content providers' wishes. A few Chinese-based players do, like the Neo (I think), and the first LG/Zenith and Bravo players did, before a firmware upgrade revoked it. But they may not have the SACD capability that you want. The upconversion process is a function of copy-protected DVI or HDMI exclusively. There are a slew of players that qualify, from Denon, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, and others. You can take your pick. From the $300 to $400 price point, you should be able to find one that offers reasonably good analog SACD. I'm partial to Sony and Denon in that regard.

Upconversion from a DVD player is really valuable only for 720p (or derivatives thereof) microdisplays that need to have all signals scaled to their native resolutions. A digitally based DVD player can often do the job better than the TV's internal scaler. Upconverting to 1080i has little value. CRTs that feature this format don't need it, and the 1080p panels on the market that might benefit from it are few and far between.

Ed

Forum Regular
    Thx

I will go to a shop for a view on it to compare the picture quailty of the component output ...

Since my LCD TV haven't the HDMI input. It is why I want to the component can output the 720p or above resolaton.

Thx again

If your LCD has DVI, you can get an HDMI adaptor cable for it at the shop. Then you can get an upconverting player. For LCD, you should set the player's upconversion to 720p, not 1080i. Remember, however, that you don't need to upconvert for an excellent picture quality. The sisgnal via component will not suffer much, if at all. We are talking about a degree of difference between digital and analog that is really slight in the scheme of things.

nightflier

I know this is redundant with another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    No current US, Japanese, or European player to my knowledge allows such upconversion through component outputs, in compliance with content providers' wishes.... The upconversion process is a function of copy-protected DVI or HDMI exclusively.
    So even though there are no Component Video recorders out there, one still can't upconvert regular DVD content to anything but 480p?

Then it sounds to me like the only reason for the "copy protection" is to kill standard DVD players with CV and making people buy new HDMI/DVI players instead. This smacks of monopolyism.

Isn't anyone infuriated with this?

Almost everyone is infuriated about it. It's a power play, pure and simple. Blame the content providers. If they didn't hold the key, then the mfgrs would simply offer everything that they could, even if it ultimately wasn't of much value (think of, say, "scan velocity modulation" here). But since the mfgrs won't sell product if the film studios refuse to provide anything to play on it, they ain't gonna give you upconverting component outputs.

But remember, upconverting from component may not accomplish much, anyway. Besides copy protection, the value of a digital output is its avoidance of D/A conversion for microdisplays. Leaving the signal in the digital domain has value even without upconversion, which is really just icing on the cake. Upconversion via component still requires an A/D conversion at the microdisplay end, defeating the purpose to some extent. The real complaint is that component may eventually not get any true HD content, or only selected HD content. Compared to that, upconversion is nothing.

Ed

nightflier
    Quote Originally Posted by edtyct
    The real complaint is that component may eventually not get any true HD content, or only selected HD content. Compared to that, upconversion is nothing. Ed
    Except when using a CV-1080i cable box, of course (?).

Thread Information