Forum Regular

From a DVD player to Sony SXRD TV, HDMI, I-Link or component?

From a DVD player to Sony SXRD TV, HDMI, I-Link or component connection for best picture?

All right, BK, after all that fuss about various plasmas, you owe us an explanation of how you arrived at the Sony SXRD. It's a great choice, but just how did you find it? You never once brought it up on the board.

I-link isn't relevant. So far as picture quality goes at a true resolution, component and HDMI are neck and neck. The advantage that HDMI might have for performance concerns its ability to keep a signal in the digital domain into a TV like yours without ever changing the signal to analog, as component requires, thus eliminating certain kinds of noise and picture softness. HDMI is also the only conduit from a DVD player that permits upscaling of non-HD signals to HD pixel counts--a job that a fixed-pixel TV has to do by itself if no other device intervenes, but sometimes a DVD player can do better. The proof is in the pudding. Many people in your situation don't notice much of a difference; some do. I do on my display. HDMI, however, is by no means mandatory on any equipment yet, though it will be an immense convenience for both audio and video when the standard is completed, passing HD and pseudo-HD video, as well as SACD, DVD-A, and all of the new HD audio formats from Dolby and DTS. Arguaby, its most important role is to enable a digital copy protection scheme that could selectively disable true HD broadcast and DVD feeds via component to guard against piracy.

Thread Information