Forum Regular

DVD player colors are wacky

I recently purchased a Sharp Aquos 37" lcd and everything looks great except when I run my progressive scan Sony DVD player, the colors are very bluish and reddish...I've tried playing with the dvd settings but to no avail...It must be the dvd player since the tv normally shows great color in HD.....any suggestions? thanks!

Forum Regular
    Are your component cables in the right inputs?

Forum Regular
    yes, I just double checked to be sure that it was correct, red,blue,green...Im thinking of switching the composite conn out for hdmi, if that would help..other than that, Im not sure what it could be

Forum Regular
    all working fine now, I'm thinking that one of the connections wasn't solid becuase when I was checking them, I reisnerted them and now the picture is crystal clear. Thanks for heading me in the right direction

Forum Regular
    Just out of curiosity for yourself, I'd try a few things (if you haven't already done so):

1. If you have another DVD player, attach that by component cables.

2. If you have another set of component cables (if you have another DVD player try that) try those.

3. Check you picture just with an SVideo or component connection & see how it is, albeit it won't be progessive scan. Make sure the DVD player is set to progressive scan & your TV can handle it. I had problems with a Samsung 30" HDTV & component cables.

This is probably overkill but if your place isn't that well lit like mine, use a flashlite as I ad trouble distinguising the green & blue cables. Also make sure, not trying to insult your intelligence, that they are all component cables.

I assume your DVD is in a different input then your cable/satellite box. If it is, I would make sure the settings are initially the same for both inputs (you can adjust later). On some TV's, you need to scroll to a second menu page. I think the key thing is to try to figure out by process of elimination where the exact problem is & then go on from there. If you're totally at wits end & don't have another DVD player as well as component cables or access to one, buy them with a 30 day return policy. If that also doesn't work, you know its the TV. If you don't have a friend with an HDTV, bring your DVD player into a store that sells them & make up a cock & bull story of how you want to see how your player would work on their system.
    Good luck.

Here's a quick tip, despite the fact that you have it all corrected now.

I always connect multiple cables in, just for backup purposes. Thus, I will have a composite, s-video, component cable always running to my TV from the same machine if possible just in case one of the cables starts acting funny I can test it against the others plugged in.

This is just a piece of advice for future consideration and it also helps with setting up your gear initially.

Forum Regular
    thank you both for the excellent info. One question, if I decide to say, use multiple cables like you suggested, say, hdmi and composite....which connection will the component and tc use? Will it use the composite or the hdmi connection? Just curious..thanks!

Thread Information