Dual Center Channel...

Printable View

• 08-06-2010, 08:38 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Needless, to say the system in a home enviroment defines "loud". I wouldn't use the term "audiophile" to define the sound but the physical abuse from the SPL was unreal.

HUH? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! WHAT DID YOU SAY? :)

rw
  • 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveW
    Which parts do you recommend I do away with to arrive at at nice 25% solution?

Maybe it's the 1U lamp panels. :)

rw
  • 08-06-2010, 08:59 PM
    Dual-500
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Maybe it's the 1U lamp panels. :)

rw

Probably! Definitely don't need lights on an anp rack. Maybe a couple of the fans too. And that NASTY APC 2200XL UPS just has to go! Probably could just junk the whole rack now that I think about it..... set her up on milk crates. JK of course. Better watch it - I have STtT interacting with me on the Rear/Side eq thread.

The lights on the front, I run six in pairs and also have lights on the back of the rack. There I used a couple of small 110v clamp on with 25w lamps in them.

Worked in dim lighted rooms over racks and consoles too long. So, on this setup, when I want to adjust something, just turn on the work lights and tweak to my hearts content.

The front panel lights are Littlelights and are powered by the same 12v dc power supply as the cooling fans. At a friends advice, I put a diode in series with the lights to drop the voltage a tad - because they are running on a 12v DC supply and are designed for 12v RMS AC. Great solution - and they don't run so hot they burn you when brushing against them. Plus the lamp life is good. 5 years service and no failures or replacements.

I have a pair of LED cluster type from a Singer sewing machine I picked up on eBay. They also run on 12v. Real nice, and on goosenecks with shrouds on them. Will use on the next rack when I build it up.
  • 08-07-2010, 06:16 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Man, what I relief. I thought I was the only one (well one out of two anyway) in the world that didn't like the sound of the Mac's big front speakers and their 2K amps.

They were most certainly powerful and had seemingly infinite reserves of power. Just unable to throw a palpable and holographic image in the room. Their 300 watt tube amps, however, sound pretty good according to a trusted reviewer friend. Forget the speakers.

Quote:

I would say they violated the 16" rule to the hilt!!!

:)

Quote:

How much of this is really for show, and how much really can be attributed to performance? That is the 1 million dollar question.

You got me!

rw