Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dr Who has returned!

I haven't been keeping up on what shows are coming out when. But yesterday I was checking to see what was recorded on my DVR and there, between a Star Trek and Painkiller Jane, was Dr. Who. Not one but two new episodes! Thank you to the creator of the DVR. I would have missed it.
    Is anyone else catching this show?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Yep.

Sci Fi showeed the last show of the last season (The Runaway Bride) and the first of the new season. Sci Fi preceeded this with a 12 hour (I think) marathon of the previous season.

I liked the spider lady. I hope she comes back. He's also a great Dr Who.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Sci Fi showeed the last show of the last season (The Runaway Bride) and the first of the new season. Sci Fi preceeded this with a 12 hour (I think) marathon of the previous season.

I liked the spider lady. I hope she comes back. He's also a great Dr Who.
    Wasn't she the last of her kind? Destroyed and all? All blowed up by the local tank brigade.
    I enjoyed seeing the show again. It's not exactly high budget stuff, but very different.

Edit: I like the new girl. She seems more helpful than Rose.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

The show's a hoot.

It borders on sci-fi satire. This Doctor borders between overzealous and maniacal, and does it all with a true sense of giddy glee. They've got some pretty sharp writers doing this stuff.

You do remember the Doctor from the last Harry Potter movie, don't you?

edit edit. Yeah, but Rose was cute as all get-out, what with those chipmunk cheeks, big eyes and pouty lips,... well, you get the picture.

The runaway bride would have been a hoot as a partner. They traded some pretty good zingers in that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    It borders on sci-fi satire. This Doctor borders between overzealous and maniacal, and does it all with a true sense of giddy glee. They've got some pretty sharp writers doing this stuff.

You do remember the Doctor from the last Harry Potter movie, don't you?

edit edit. Yeah, but Rose was cute as all get-out, what with those chipmunk cheeks, big eyes and pouty lips,... well, you get the picture.
    Yes I do. I didn't know who he was when I first saw HP. But when I saw it again on TV I put it on pause and called wifey in to see. I think I even started a thread about it a few months ago.

Yeah, Rose was a cutie. The kind of girl you could take home to mother but still rock your world all night.
    But the new girl seems to not only be very smart, but also cool under pressure. I like her. And it doesn't hurt that she has a pretty face and legs that go all the way up to make a perfect a$$ of themselves.

Suspended
    Enjoying yourselves guys?

Why is this here?

If you'll move it over to the Steel Cage, I'll make some funny remarks about Docta Oooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Enjoying yourselves guys?

Why is this here?

If you'll move it over to the Steel Cage, I'll make some funny remarks about Docta Oooo.
    Move it? Who can move threads?

Suspended
    Well, I've never tried to move one yet, but I know I can lock 'em!

How many different Dr. Who's have there been? The only one I remember is the frizzy haired looking one. I watched an episode or two years ago on a PBS channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Well, I've never tried to move one yet, but I know I can lock 'em!

How many different Dr. Who's have there been? The only one I remember is the frizzy haired looking one. I watched an episode or two years ago on a PBS channel.
    You might be talking about the tom baker years, the best dr who ever IMHO.
    I recently dled all of bakers episodes off of newsgroups, they have a kind of cornball charm and a lot of double entendres, recently they have redone the series with special effects, etc, really a good show.
    As for SCI-FI, stargate atlantis is on UHD and looks amazing in HD, btw
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    As for SCI-FI, stargate atlantis is on UHD and looks amazing in HD, btw
    But only the reruns are on as far as I could tell. But yeah, they sure do look and sound better on HDTV & 5.1.
    I'm ready for SCI-FI to step up to the plate and go HD.

The new Dr. Who series is not as good as the older series with Tom Baker, and Jon Pertwee. The new series does have a lot more advanced special effects its true, but I think tends to rely on this a bit much rather than having to be more dependent on character and plot interest. There doesn't seem to be continuity in the way its filmed either, its all just a bit too manic (like everyones drinking way too much Koolaid). Dr. Who is supposed to be charming and funny, but primarily he is a serious character, and not the buffoon he is so often protrayed by the new lot.

The best Doctors are definitely Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee..
    Last edited by O'Shag; 07-13-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    The new Dr. Who series is not as good as the older series with Tom Baker, and Jon Pertwee. The new series does have a lot more advanced special effects its true, but I think tends to rely on this a bit much rather than having to be more dependent on character and plot interest. There doesn't seem to be continuity in the way its filmed either, its all just a bit too manic (like everyones drinking way too much Koolaid). Dr. Who is supposed to be charming and funny, but primarily he is a serious character, and not the buffoon he is so often protrayed by the new lot.

The best Doctors are definitely Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee..
    I'll look forward to catching up on those someday.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I am about as big a WHO fan as you can get --- Whovian if you will.

Doctor Who was described by Tom Baker as Science Fantasy not Science Fiction. Rarely does the show talk about technobabble. When it comes up the Doctor will just be flippant as to suggest that "you wouldn't understand it anyway" so that the story does not get bogged down by blathering on about dilithium crystals and interface coolers.

I grew up on year in Britain with Tom Baker as my Doctor and he's the one most memorable to me along with Pertwee and Hartnel. Many of Troughton's series were lost to a mishap at the BBC.

I like the new ones better than the old ones in some ways. The stories are more contemporary and it is not a continuous show about fighting megalomaniacs. In fact when the show drifts to stories similar to those of the older Doctor Who's is when it becomes lackluster to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    I am about as big a WHO fan as you can get --- Whovian if you will.

Doctor Who was described by Tom Baker as Science Fantasy not Science Fiction. Rarely does the show talk about technobabble. When it comes up the Doctor will just be flippant as to suggest that "you wouldn't understand it anyway" so that the story does not get bogged down by blathering on about dilithium crystals and interface coolers.

I grew up on year in Britain with Tom Baker as my Doctor and he's the one most memorable to me along with Pertwee and Hartnel. Many of Troughton's series were lost to a mishap at the BBC.

I like the new ones better than the old ones in some ways. The stories are more contemporary and it is not a continuous show about fighting megalomaniacs. In fact when the show drifts to stories similar to those of the older Doctor Who's is when it becomes lackluster to me.
    Rich!

How the heck are you? We could use your input more often around here.
    Do you know if all the older versions of Dr. Who are available on DVD?

mIKE

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Rich!

How the heck are you? We could use your input more often around here.
    Do you know if all the older versions of Dr. Who are available on DVD?

mIKE
    Some are, I have one about a space station, new effects have been added and you can watch the original or the "new one" . way cool.
    But the best way to get old episodes is newsgroups, one is devoted just to dr who.
    But you have to be familar with RAR files and divix. but I have a bunch of classics, including the dalek origination episode, and a few of the doctor that followed baker
    And the new series is more rushed of course, its "only" an hour, the old series was 4 or sometimes 5 30 min episodes which were assembled into small movies
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The old series are 25 minute episodes usually 4 part but sometimes 3 or 6 parters.

The new series is 45 minutes and sometimes a two parter which would run 90 minutes.

I have finished watching the last episodes of series 3 and the final 3 episodes are all one story so that is 2 hours 15 minutes.

The early episodes of the Christopher Eccleston series had trouble with the one episode 45 minute because it had to re-educate a whole new audience on Doctor Who and frankly it was a bit manic.

But the first season of Star Trek TNG was a rough ride as well but the show settled down the actors seemed to be more at ease as to what to do and by season three it was fantastic!

The old series was canceled for a reason. The show simply was not contemporary. The new series has created a darker character similar to the original episodes, it has finally given the sidekicks actual useful plot lines. Rose and Martha are not just there to scream and get saved by the doctor.

As for the DVD's - you can buy a LOT of the Tom Baker episodes on DVD as well as John Pertwee - a few Peter Davidson's.

I would recommend Bittorent and download them all. The quality is excellent. The first Tom Baker episode is called ROBOT and his last is Logopolos.

Many people would say his best ones were "Genesis of th Daleks" "The Ark in Space" (which Alien ripped off) "Talons of Weng Chiang"(which is like a Holmes mystery). And interestingly the series on DVD called "The Deadly Assasin" has some interesting things. The Doctor's arch nemesis "The Master" (an evil Time Lord) has invaded the "Matrix" where the population's minds are all stored in a large computer (Gee I wonder what movie copied this) and in the very same series the Master says to the Doctor "Resistance is Futile" and I wonder what famous villain made those remarks. (Though I grant you when it's Seven of Nine saying it who cares who invented it)

If you can put aside the shoddy effects and sets the ideas and performances were usually very good.

The very first Doctor Who in 1963 I highly recommend - it's called the "Unearthly Child." It's much more mood oriented and you're not really sure the doctor is evil or good.

It was also the first show in history that was at the top and managed to survive a lead actor and all sidekicks changeover. 10 Doctors later.

This site will give you the complete history of all things Doctor Who... http://www.gallifreyone.com/

This is the FAQ page about Doctor Who (the longest running science fiction show in history) http://www.gallifreyone.com/whofaq.php

The old series are 25 minute episodes usually 4 part but sometimes 3 or 6 parters.

The new series is 45 minutes and sometimes a two parter which would run 90 minutes.

I have finished watching the last episodes of series 3 and the final 3 episodes are all one story so that is 2 hours 15 minutes.

The early episodes of the Christopher Eccleston series had trouble with the one episode 45 minute because it had to re-educate a whole new audience on Doctor Who and frankly it was a bit manic.

But the first season of Star Trek TNG was a rough ride as well but the show settled down the actors seemed to be more at ease as to what to do and by season three it was fantastic!

The old series was canceled for a reason. The show simply was not contemporary. The new series has created a darker character similar to the original episodes, it has finally given the sidekicks actual useful plot lines. Rose and Martha are not just there to scream and get saved by the doctor.

As for the DVD's - you can buy a LOT of the Tom Baker episodes on DVD as well as John Pertwee - a few Peter Davidson's.

I would recommend Bittorent and download them all. The quality is excellent. The first Tom Baker episode is called ROBOT and his last is Logopolos.

Many people would say his best ones were "Genesis of th Daleks" "The Ark in Space" (which Alien ripped off) "Talons of Weng Chiang"(which is like a Holmes mystery). And interestingly the series on DVD called "The Deadly Assasin" has some interesting things. The Doctor's arch nemesis "The Master" (an evil Time Lord) has invaded the "Matrix" where the population's minds are all stored in a large computer (Gee I wonder what movie copied this) and in the very same series the Master says to the Doctor "Resistance is Futile" and I wonder what famous villain made those remarks. (Though I grant you when it's Seven of Nine saying it who cares who invented it)

If you can put aside the shoddy effects and sets the ideas and performances were usually very good.

The very first Doctor Who in 1963 I highly recommend - it's called the "Unearthly Child." It's much more mood oriented and you're not really sure the doctor is evil or good.

It was also the first show in history that was at the top and managed to survive a lead actor and all sidekicks changeover. 10 Doctors later.

This site will give you the complete history of all things Doctor Who... http://www.gallifreyone.com/

This is the FAQ page about Doctor Who (the longest running science fiction show in history) http://www.gallifreyone.com/whofaq.php
    Thanks for the history, and the link. I'll check it out in a few minutes.
    I've been wanting to ask you, is your avitar based on the Daleks?

RGA
    Forum Regular
    My Avatar is a Dalek.

EXTERMINAAAAAAAAAAAATE!

My Avatar is a Dalek.

EXTERMINAAAAAAAAAAAATE!
    I thought they were extinct.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    They never die. Back in Season 3

I remember, every Saturday evening we used to look forward to watching the Dr. If i was alone in the house, some of the characters were slighty frightening - The Ogrons, Draconians, Daveros, Sontarons, Cyborgs, but the Ogrons I thought were about the most frightening for a little kid.

Cool

They sure are souped up in the new series
    And over here "across the pond" 25min is considered a 30 min episode, even when they were shown on PBS in the eighties they had announcments, etc.
    And one of my all time favorites is the dalek genesis story arc
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Spoiler.
    Santa aint real either, just a drunk who lives under the interstate in the off season.
    I mean, ya really didnt think they'd kill off a really cool supervillian like the daleks did ya?
    HOW much TV have you watched?
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Santa aint real either, just a drunk who lives under the interstate in the off season.
    I mean, ya really didnt think they'd kill off a really cool supervillian like the daleks did ya?
    HOW much TV have you watched?
    Santa is still in lock up for killing Peter Cottontail.

I've watched too much TV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information