Thread: Dolby 2.0

Forum Regular

Dolby 2.0

How come some dvds when their in surround mode you only get sound fron the center speaker it displays on my receiver its dolby d 2.0 the dvd is pride fighting 2000 gp tournament

Dolby digital comes in a number of formats:
    4.1...........so on

If you look on the box it may tell you that it comes in Dobly 2.0 and due to the setting on your AVR it converts it so that the dialog comes from the center channel and other sounds will come from the left and right.

The Dolby Digital just means that the sound was done in a digital format not full 5.1 or higher.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

Suspended
    If your receiver display says 2.0, you should not be getting anything from the center. When you do your test tone for volume, does the sound come from the center speaker when the display says "center"? Sometimes a 2.0 might default to Dolby Pro Logic 2 but your receiver should display that mode. If it's only on this disc, then it may be the disc itself. If it's a problem on other discs, well, then... there's a problem. It could be as simple as the speakers not being hooked to the right terminal to a defect in the decoder (steering) sending the sound to the wrong channel. If it looks like it isn't something simple, try unplugging the receiver from the wall for a few minutes to allow the processor to reset. Plug it back in and see if it helps. If you can't seem to pin point the problem, I hope it's still under warranty. Another thought, are you using a digital connection? You would need that to get 5.1, and if you are using 2 channel analog input (twin RCA type connector) then the receiver would read 2.0 and could possibly default to PL2 without the receiver picking up the correct mode because it's not a digital connection. If you are using a multi-channel analog connection (sometimes called the 6-pak) then again, check the connections to be sure, center in of the receiver, is to center out of the DVD player and so on.

I'm sure this is enough of me grasping at straws, hope it might help. Let us know how it goes.

Thread Information