Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Repoman75
    There has to be a game, any game on one of the many ESPNs, Comcast Sports, and FS channels I get.
    OK, 20 minutes have past. Not to be a pest, but what's the result? Inquiring minds need to know. Does it help?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mutant from table 9
    This was the response I got:

Can I ask why you would still want to listen to everything else except the announcer? Let me clarify my question -- I understand why you don't want to listen to the announcer, the part I don't understand is that you still want to listen to the rest of the audio feed.

Well, if this doesn't scream "Why the F would you want to do that man? John Madden is king... I'd let him teabag me anytime". This comment has nothing with trying to steer me in the right direction - mocking at best, rude at worse.

Okay, I stand corrected. It's not narcissism, but paranoid narcissism. I'll make a note.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    UPS says they dropped off my new sub today. Oh the joy!

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I keep checking and checking every day. But still no review for the pounding 10 incher.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mutant from table 9
    the pounding 10 incher.
    He he hee, lol. That's dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    He he hee, lol. That's dirty.
    He's got the 10" version of the 15" sub kit that's waiting on my doorstep right now. Geesh, get your mind out of my gutter. There isn't enough room in here for both of us.

Mutant from table 9
    Is that the 15" Titanic? I've been eyeballing that. An Axiom and Velodyne have been on my list, but at $1800 and $1200, the Titanic has been looking good at half the price. But honestly, the Axiom and Velodyne are prettier. I know, I know looks shouldn't matter, but were talkin' cherry veneer here.

Mutant from table 9
    Nevermind. Just saw your post in DIY. Will look for the followup.

Is that the 15" Titanic? I've been eyeballing that. An Axiom and Velodyne have been on my list, but at $1800 and $1200, the Titanic has been looking good at half the price. But honestly, the Axiom and Velodyne are prettier. I know, I know looks shouldn't matter, but were talkin' cherry veneer here.
    I've been thinking 'bout pulling the trig also. The 10" in my bedroom hits hard and bass is very clean and precise. I've been thinking 'bout that 15 for awhile. Yeah, they are pretty ugly. I think looks are important but value is a higher priority on my list.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I've been thinking 'bout pulling the trig also. The 10" in my bedroom hits hard and bass is very clean and precise. I've been thinking 'bout that 15 for awhile. Yeah, they are pretty ugly. I think looks are important but value is a higher priority on my list.
    I have a pair of Marantz Speakers that have 15" cones, and run at 150 watts. Do they count?

I remember about 20 or so years ago, some magazines (either Popular Science or Stereo Review or Motor Trend) used to advertise a device that eliminated (or significantly reduced) the vocals on music while including a microphone input so that you could overlay your own vocals on top of your favorite songs. It was usually in the classifieds alongside the devices that "eliminate" pops and clicks on LPs. You might want to head over to your local library and look up some old Stereo Review issues and see if you can find the name of that device.

I have no idea if the thing even works, but it would seem to fit the bill for what you're looking for.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Boy we're really batting a thousand here. First we're elitist jerks, then useless, and now we don't show respect. I think we need to be spanked for our bad behavior.

Forum Regular
    OK, 20 minutes have past. Not to be a pest, but what's the result? Inquiring minds need to know. Does it help?
    Nope, didn't quite work.. lowered it a little bit, but the talking heads still came out the front left and right.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to invent something and pitch my idea to cable and satellite companies. Might as well get rich of this idea.

I would guess that if you really wanted to, you could sand it down and refinish it anyway you like.

Nope, didn't quite work.. lowered it a little bit, but the talking heads still came out the front left and right.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to invent something and pitch my idea to cable and satellite companies. Might as well get rich of this idea.
    The anti-jerk-talker-illiminator? Sounds good. Put me down for two when it hits production.
    Sucked that it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer
    I remember about 20 or so years ago, some magazines (either Popular Science or Stereo Review or Motor Trend) used to advertise a device that eliminated (or significantly reduced) the vocals on music while including a microphone input so that you could overlay your own vocals on top of your favorite songs. It was usually in the classifieds alongside the devices that "eliminate" pops and clicks on LPs. You might want to head over to your local library and look up some old Stereo Review issues and see if you can find the name of that device.

I have no idea if the thing even works, but it would seem to fit the bill for what you're looking for.
    Leave it to you to have actually heard of something that does this. Is there anything that you don't know?

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    This was the response I got:

Can I ask why you would still want to listen to everything else except the announcer? Let me clarify my question -- I understand why you don't want to listen to the announcer, the part I don't understand is that you still want to listen to the rest of the audio feed.

Well, if this doesn't scream "Why the F would you want to do that man? John Madden is king... I'd let him teabag me anytime". This comment has nothing with trying to steer me in the right direction - mocking at best, rude at worse.
    You definitely misunderstood my comment -- the first part of the clarification is exactly the opposite of how you just interpreted it. You actually nailed it with your initial jesting response -- I don't watch football, and just plain didn't understand. That said, my prediction that it didn't exist comes from knowledge of DSP -- I sincerely don't believe it exists, and that it is being worked on. I think the closest you can get is one of those vocal removers that remove lead vocals from music for the purposes of learning songs and karaoke. I forget whether or not they're software (which does you no good unless you figure out a way to put your computer between your prepro and your amp) or standalone units.

I took your jesting response in the spirit with which it was delivered -- as a jest. It was several other people who jumped on you for the response -- which, admittedly, was out of line.

So -- to everyone else -- leave him alone, it was a joke, I wasn't offended.

To you -- try not to play pissing matches. Sudden gusts of wind are unpredictable. And I think that's what happened here. Several people didn't take your jest well, you didn't take their responses well, and it all just snowballed.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
    You definitely misunderstood my comment -- the first part of the clarification is exactly the opposite of how you just interpreted it. You actually nailed it with your initial jesting response -- I don't watch football, and just plain didn't understand. That said, my prediction that it didn't exist comes from knowledge of DSP -- I sincerely don't believe it exists, and that it is being worked on. I think the closest you can get is one of those vocal removers that remove lead vocals from music for the purposes of learning songs and karaoke. I forget whether or not they're software (which does you no good unless you figure out a way to put your computer between your prepro and your amp) or standalone units.

I took your jesting response in the spirit with which it was delivered -- as a jest. It was several other people who jumped on you for the response -- which, admittedly, was out of line.

So -- to everyone else -- leave him alone, it was a joke, I wasn't offended.

To you -- try not to play pissing matches. Sudden gusts of wind are unpredictable. And I think that's what happened here. Several people didn't take your jest well, you didn't take their responses well, and it all just snowballed.
    Well said chap. Some of these barbarians need civic lessons.

Do you know of any stand alone vocal removers?

Well, the ironic thing is, so do I.

And -- not offhand, but if I figure out what to search for, I'll post again. I'm almost positive they exist. I want to say, Musician's Friend is where I saw the link, but an initial brief search yielded nothing. Perhaps pop in to your local Guitar Center and see if a salesman knows what I'm talking about?
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Well said chap. Some of these barbarians need civic lessons.

Do you know of any stand alone vocal removers?
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

You want something like this or this or this or this.

Anyway, just search on "vocal remover" or "vocal eliminator".
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    You want something like this or this or this or this.

Anyway, just search on "vocal remover" or "vocal eliminator".
    I found this, and talked to the Customer service via chat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...per?sku=246026

The CSR said this is exactly what I want, and would remove 90% of vocals. All you have to do is run RCA cables from the source in, and to the receiver out.

So, what do you think? If I have a Sony 6.1 receiver (not sure what model), and I get my audio feeds from my Directv HD box, it should work right? Even though I connect the box to my receiver via digital cables, I could try RCA for this...

Yeah, that should work, and the way you describe. I would bypass it on the surround channels, but I don't know what you'd do for the center channel, perhaps just leave it unplugged.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Yeah, that should work, and the way you describe. I would bypass it on the surround channels, but I don't know what you'd do for the center channel, perhaps just leave it unplugged.
    Well, wouldn't I just plug it into the back of receiver, say the AUX line, and it should then feed the "voiceless" audio to all speakers, no?

I think that would be impossible. Not matter what you do you will still hear small traces of announcers voice in other channels. I'm not so sure of that product you mentioned, but there was this product back in a day that promised to eliminate pops and clicks on LP playback. All it did was muted around those frequency. In that process alot of music material was was eliminated also.

I would just do what Dusty suggested, unplug your center channel when you are using one of your DSP modes. If you dont have Banana plugs to your center speaker, that would be the most convinient way.

-JRA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information