Forum Regular

Color Problem with new 60" LCD

Hey folks, I just got my new Sony 60" (60wf655) delivered this afternoon. I set it up just like my previous LCD, STB => component, etc. The picture looks good from what we can tell except, everyone and everything is a SMURF! Nothing but the Blues. I'm in the midst of trouble shooting - anyone run into this. Advice? Bad cable, connections, anything but the TV right?

Thanks

No matter what you've done to the set's controls, blue shouldn't dominate that much. Is your red component cable connected correctly, or is it faulty? Trace it from the STB to the TV. Make sure that you've pushed it into the jacks completely. If the problem persists, try another video cable in its place. If that doesn't work, you might try the S-video connection, the composite connection, or the HDMI connection to determine whether blue is out of whack universally. If so, it's possible that the red chip is out of play for some reason. It's also possible that a visit to the service menu could restore order. But you'll need a Sony technician to check, unless you want to buy a service manual or get the codes from the web and fiddle with the color yourself. I wouldn't if I were you. It's a jungle in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jamison162
    Hey folks, I just got my new Sony 60" (60wf655) delivered this afternoon. I set it up just like my previous LCD, STB => component, etc. The picture looks good from what we can tell except, everyone and everything is a SMURF! Nothing but the Blues. I'm in the midst of trouble shooting - anyone run into this. Advice? Bad cable, connections, anything but the TV right?

Thanks
    I just filed a complaint against you with the SPDS - the Society for Prevention of Discrimination against Smurfs! Smurfs are an established staple on television. To buy a television and then decide that you don't want to invite Smurfs into their own dominion is highly objectionable! Look for a subpoena in your mailbox soon!

Seriously, edtyct just gave you the best advice. I think either you've got a bad component cable connection or even a switched one. Make sure they correspond to the outputs from your STB (PR,PB,Y/G). You may also want to try another video source such as your DVD player just to make sure the problem's not in the STB.

If you disconnect the component cabling and use either the S-Video, HDMI or composite connection and the blues go away, you've just determined that the Sony is performing fine and your component connections were faulty. If they don't go away, there's a problem either with the Sony itself or user-adjustable color settings on it.
    Click here to see my system.

Forum Regular

Fixed

I swore I hooked it up right, but on double checking, the component cable into the Sony had the red and blue switched. Whoooo!!!! Thank goodness. Awesome Television.

Quote Originally Posted by jamison162
    I swore I hooked it up right, but on double checking, the component cable into the Sony had the red and blue switched. Whoooo!!!! Thank goodness. Awesome Television.
    I watched an entire DVD once ("Intolerable Cruelty", as I remember) where I thought it was some kind of artistic film-making techique where they gave everything kind of a pink-and-blue art deco look to it. Not until I tried playing another DVD days later did I found out that THOSE filmmakers also tried the same art deco scheme!

Coincidence?

Nope! Sure enough, I had been playing around with my audio connections earlier and guess I loosened one of the component video cables in the process.

Enjoy your new toy, jamison!
    Click here to see my system.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi, I am thinking of buying this tv too. How is the picture quality with regular DVDs not HD DVDs,,
    thanks

AR "Wisdom of Yoda"Member LEAFS264's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nabil98
    Hi, I am thinking of buying this tv too. How is the picture quality with regular DVDs not HD DVDs,,
    thanks

Hold on there pal. HD DVD is not out yet. You'll just have to play regular DVDs for now.

Jay

Thread Information