• 04-29-2005, 12:53 AM
    Dolby
    Does 7.1 channels travel through a digital cable?
    If I bought an amplifier that was 7.1 channels, and I had software that 7.1 channel - does my 4 year old DVD player have to be 7.1 to get those signals as well? Will the digital output send through a 7.1 signal? How about (theorteically!), a 9.1 or 11.1?

Are there 7.1 DVD players?

Basically - does one ever have to upgrade a DVD player?
  • 04-29-2005, 03:48 AM
    PAT.P
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolby
    If I bought an amplifier that was 7.1 channels, and I had software that 7.1 channel - does my 4 year old DVD player have to be 7.1 to get those signals as well? Will the digital output send through a 7.1 signal? How about (theorteically!), a 9.1 or 11.1?

Its the content of the disc that come in the format your stating not the dvd player ,the receiver picks up the signal and transmit it to the speakers.You could upgrade the dvd to read MP3,CDRW, Jpeg ect,ect and there also progressive scan dvd player (newer one ).Pat.P :)
  • 04-29-2005, 06:04 AM
    shokhead
    5.1 goes through dig and 6.1 does so if ever there is a 7.1 DVD,it should but dont hold your breath.
  • 04-29-2005, 08:21 AM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

First, there is no software that supports 7.1. The DVD standard does not support 9.1 or 11.1 so you have no worries there.
  • 04-29-2005, 04:09 PM
    Geoffcin
    This is a common misunderstanding about Home Theater
    Quote:

7.1 home theather does NOT have 7.1 discrete channels. DVD carries at MOST 6.1 channels. It doesn't matter the player.Even this TRUE 6.1 is only on DTS-ES encoded DVD's, and there are precious few of these. That being said, digital surround processing has become very sophisticated, and the DSP generated rear channels, although not discrete, have a lot of spatial cues to add to the soundfield. As to; 9.1, 11.1, or 22.2, they are just dreams at the moment, but I would not discount the ability to add several more discrete channels using the newer DVD-HD, and BlueRay tech.
  • 04-29-2005, 04:41 PM
    shokhead
    Doesnt DD+ have the ability to do 7.1 and more?
  • 04-29-2005, 06:33 PM
    Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shokhead
    Doesnt DD+ have the ability to do 7.1 and more?

Yes it does, but it is not supported on regular DVD. It has a bit rate limitation that restricts how many discrete channel can be added. Dts 6.1 is about all the standard can support, and how it is done it quite a trick.