Forum Regular

Do I Need a Seperate Subwoofer Cable to Connect Blu-Ray Analog Outputs?

If I can sell the autographed sketch of Superman & Batman by there creators Jerry Siegel and Bob Kane this week for $350, I'm going to get a Panasonic BD 55 Blu Ray Player based on the positive remarks about Blu-Ray on this forum. One thing that I'm still unclear of is where does the cable from the subwoofer output go? Use this back of Blu-Ray picture for refernce, Does it go straight into my subwoofer (I have 2 inputs)? If so that means I need another subwoofer cable. Or does it go somewhere into my receiver? I'm totally confused by this. I definitely need a subwoofer cable though for this blu ray output, correct?

Right now, Pre Blu-Ray, I just have my subwoofer cable going from an output on my receiver straight to my subwoofer. Van someone help me out on this? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What to do

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    If I can sell the autographed sketch of Superman & Batman by there creators Jerry Siegel and Bob Kane this week for $350, I'm going to get a Panasonic BD 55 Blu Ray Player based on the positive remarks about Blu-Ray on this forum. One thing that I'm still unclear of is where does the cable from the subwoofer output go? Use this back of Blu-Ray picture for refernce, Does it go straight into my subwoofer (I have 2 inputs)? If so that means I need another subwoofer cable. Or does it go somewhere into my receiver? I'm totally confused by this. I definitely need a subwoofer cable though for this blu ray output, correct?

Right now, Pre Blu-Ray, I just have my subwoofer cable going from an output on my receiver straight to my subwoofer. Van someone help me out on this? Thanks
    Hi, Edward,

Use a male RCA -to- male RCA 'Y' splitter att the end of a single RCA cable to connect both terminals on your subwoofer.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

Yikes...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Hi, Edward,

Use a male RCA -to- male RCA 'Y' splitter att the end of a single RCA cable to connect both terminals on your subwoofer.
    Uhhhh... NO....that's not what he's asking.

Ed...Run the RCA cable from the BluRay's sub out to the multi-channel input on your receiver.... Then use your existing sub cable, from the receiver's subwoofer output to the inputs on the sub....(you probably already have this part connected and don't need to touch your sub cable, in other words).

This way you're sub isn't limited to only receiving a signal from your BluRay player, The BluRay player will send the sub signal to your receiver, then the receiver will send the sub signal directly to the subwoofer.

Forum Regular
    Got it thanks. Somehow I missed the inputs right in front of me on the left side. Thanks again. Just to reiterate I just plug analog cable from BluRay output into Denon input (another subwoofer input on my receiver & leave the existing connection of the one going onto my sub alone. Will plain standard cheap Accoustic Research Cables which I can get at Best Buy suffice as they actually give me the best sound on my Jolida CD player? If not what do you recommend. When I get it, this month or next depending if I can sell my autograph on Ebay, I'll give some feedback on this board, Appreciate everyones help.

Suspended
    I use Acoustic Research subwoofer cables because they're shielded.

Quote Originally Posted by EG
    Will plain standard cheap Accoustic Research Cables which I can get at Best Buy suffice as they actually give me the best sound on my Jolida CD player?
    I'm not 100% sure what the question here is, but if the AR cables give your CD player the best sound, then yes, they'll suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    What receiver and model do you have?
    If it is able to decode 5.1 then just use the digital out put from the BD player to the digital input on the receiver.
    While this may be true for yer basic DD and DTS, if the Blu-Ray player decodes the "new" hi-rez audio formats, he'll need that analog link for those. Most receivers don't do those and, even if they did, they are passed via HDMI only.

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDONH
    That is true but I still need to know the receiver brand & model so I can look it up to see what it can and cant do.
    Why? It won't make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Most receivers don't do those and, even if they did, they are passed via HDMI only
    Last edited by markw; 12-09-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Forum Regular

Your Getting Me Confused Again Do I Get True Audio or Not using Analog Connections

Denon 3801 A/V Receiver with no HDMI connection I will be using the Panasonic BD55 Analog outputs which will decode and process the true audio and connect them to my Denon 3801 inputs According to most of the people on this board, I will get true Audio Sound as the Blu Ray player is processing it. Or is this wrong based on some disent?
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 12-10-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Denon 3801 A/V Receiver with HDMI connection I will be using the Panasonic BD55 Analog outputs which will decode and process the true audio and connect them to my Denon 3801 inputs According to most of the people on this board, I will get true Audio Sound as the Blu Ray player is processing it. Or is this wrong based on some disent?
    It is correct. The BR player will do the decoding and send true audio via analog cables to your Denon.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Denon 3801 A/V Receiver with HDMI connection I will be using the Panasonic BD55 Analog outputs which will decode and process the true audio and connect them to my Denon 3801 inputs According to most of the people on this board, I will get true Audio Sound as the Blu Ray player is processing it. Or is this wrong based on some disent?
    I looked up the 3801 which does not have an HDMI input
    So this unit will not decode, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, , Dolby Digital Plus
    you will get the best results by using the BD players internal decoding for 7.1
    by using the Panasonic's 7.1 analog outputs into the Denon's 7.1 analog inputs

Denon Owner Manual download below:

http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR3801_ownersmanual.pdf

Panasonic BD35 Owner Manual download below:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...MPBD35-MUL.PDF

Here is a good place to get the cables from they are a good quality and will save you some money too.
    Tartan Cable is a division of Blue Jeans Cable http://www.tartancable.com/aboutus.htm

patch cable
    http://www.tartancable.com/stereo-cables/index.htm
    sub cable
    http://www.tartancable.com/subwoofer-cables/index.htm
    Last edited by BRANDONH; 12-10-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Sorry for typo I forgot to put no in front of HDMI. The bottom line is by using the Panason BD55 I will still get True Audio Sound connecting everything by analog canles to the Denon 3801 receiver.

dax
    Forum Regular
    Denon 3801 A/V Receiver with no HDMI connection I will be using the Panasonic BD55 Analog outputs which will decode and process the true audio and connect them to my Denon 3801 inputs According to most of the people on this board, I will get true Audio Sound as the Blu Ray player is processing it. Or is this wrong based on some disent?
    I posted in another thread that I was in the same boat as you. I own an old Denon AVR5700 that I'm using as a pre/pro, and the Panny DMP-BD55. Use RCA-type cables to connect from the 5.1 analog outputs of the blu-ray to the 5.1 analog inputs of your receiver. The BD55 processes all the sound sends it to the receiver and the receiver sends it to your speakers and subwoofer. That's all there is to it. All you need to do on your receiver is to set one of the receiver inputs to use EXTERNAL-INPUTS rather than digital/analog. In my case, I use the receiver's Video Disc Player input for my blu-ray player. That's all there is to it.

Only thing is that the receiver's bass management and speaker delays/levels are bypassed when using the analog inputs. But not to fear as the blu-ray player has a menu which allows you to adjust all that. If you are set on the BD55, I suggest you download the manual and read through it in advance. Of course, there are a few owners on this forum and others who have gone through this so we should be able to help if you have any questions at that point.

Good luck!

Forum Regular
    Yeah, I actually called Panasonic and they said its fine doing it this way. I wish didn't love the sound of my Denon so much as I'd just get a Receiver with HDMI, but the sound on my 3801 is perfect for me. I'll probably download the Denon instructions like you said. Thanks everyone for your help.

Yeah, I actually called Panasonic and they said its fine doing it this way. I wish didn't love the sound of my Denon so much as I'd just get a Receiver with HDMI, but the sound on my 3801 is perfect for me. I'll probably download the Denon instructions like you said. Thanks everyone for your help.
    I put a link for both manuals in my previous post.
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Forum Regular
    Meant the Blu-Ray instructions Sorry wrote my replies without much sleep

Thread Information