• 01-22-2004, 10:54 AM
    Jackman
    Do DVD recorders record Digital channels
    Do DVD recorders record Digital channels over 100 like my HD channels are in the 200's does the recorder go to those channels. I am thinking of getting one not sure which one and was wondering if they record channels that high? Any info on which recorders are good and if they go that high would be great. Thanks alot in advanced.
  • 01-22-2004, 03:04 PM
    IsmaVA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackman
    Do DVD recorders record Digital channels over 100 like my HD channels are in the 200's does the recorder go to those channels. I am thinking of getting one not sure which one and was wondering if they record channels that high? Any info on which recorders are good and if they go that high would be great. Thanks alot in advanced.

DVD recorders can record pretty much anything you can feed them (some copyrigth limitations apply) including programing from HD channels. So far as I knoe they will not, however, record it in HD.
  • 01-27-2004, 02:31 PM
    woodman
    Isma's response is correct - a digital DVD recorder will record any video signal you feed into it. However, he didn't address what seems to be a misconception on your part. The way you asked your question seems to indicate that you expect the recorder to contain a "tuner" that will tune into the channels on your cableTV system, just like the tuner in a VCR tunes into the channel you wish to record ... correct? Well, AFAIK there are no DVD recorders that come so equipped, and if they did the tuner inside would probably be an NTSC tuner and not really compatible with your cable system.

Therefore, you need to feed the DVD recorder from the output of your cable box, which will output raw video signals which will not be accompanied by a channel number.

Hope this clears up any confusion you may have had
  • 02-01-2004, 03:32 PM
    AVMASTER
    the Sony rdrgx7 handles a wide variety of formats and has a NTSC tuner but for your purposes you will need to use you cable box. There are no digital inputs so don't expect HD quality recording or the ability to copy DVDs but the Sony is easy to use with great editting features and a firewire link( s-200) for your digital camera/camcorder