Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Now we know that you don't really work for a hospital, just in a hospital. Again, I got the impression you were a Neurosurgeon.

You're DEPT is Building Security right? A seperate organization right? That explains why you got hand-me-downs. The upcoming technology will be too valuable to the medical community to be handed down to building security. Does that make any sense?
    Why are you so obsessed with my occupation? Lets just say I WASTED a few decades in public service so that desk jockeys with delusions of having a real job could step
    outta the house without some mad max type cutting your panties off with a switchblade.
    And police and security 101, the people in the building are more important than THE
    building.
    As for DLP, none of the "features" you stated in yours is missing from mine, the important ones at least.
    Cablecard? What a joke. A cablebox with DVR and HD is the way to go, cablecard is limited and never has worked very well.
    And most of the other "features" are folderall dependent on using mitsu stuff.
    And I have a VGA myself, using my 37in "desktop" as I speak.

But the biggest barrier to DLP is the WAF factor. Women think flat panels hanging on walls look cool. Flat panels are the first device in HT history that wives have directed their husbands to buy, guys who havent had a decent TV in years because they were too bulky now have hugh sets, thanks to the coolness factor.
    And my set has a bigger "option" than all of your stuff combined, I WONT SPEND
    1,000 TO 1,500 in ten years of use on bulbs, and most DLP still have bulbs.
    Look at who you're selling to, a small slice of the market thats willing to put up with a larger set for a larger picture, and a lot of THEM are going SXRD.
    A nd the ones who arent are going front projection.
    AND THE "LOW COST" OF dlp? Give me a break! The infamous color wheel is there because the price for a DLP chip for each color is prohibitively high
    One final thought about these "features" you talk about. Most are dependent on using the tuner, most who are really into HT are going to use cable or sat.
    My set has atsc and ntsc tuners, AND PIP, and I NEVER USE ANY BECAUSE,
    1. My cablebox and dvd are my main sources, and
    2. In case you haven't noticed PIP doesn't work that well with HDTV
    i had a mitsu once, my last standard def was a 60in mitsu , with basically the same "guide", put out by RCA, downloaded over cable to your set. Nice.
    And the guide from a motorola cablebox blows its doors off.
    But don't fret rich in your own mind. WHEN YOU CASH IN THAT "HUGE" 401K
    and can't buy a loaf of bread with it, you can always live in that huge tv of yours.
    THATS what I call thinkin for the future!
    Last edited by pixelthis; 09-27-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Why are you so obsessed with my occupation? Lets just say I WASTED a few decades in public service so that desk jockeys with delusions of having a real job could step
    outta the house without some mad max type cutting your panties off with a switchblade.
    And police and security 101, the people in the building are more important than THE
    building.
    As for DLP, none of the "features" you stated in yours is missing from mine, the important ones at least.
    Cablecard? What a joke. A cablebox with DVR and HD is the way to go, cablecard is limited and never has worked very well.
    And most of the other "features" are folderall dependent on using mitsu stuff.
    And I have a VGA myself, using my 37in "desktop" as I speak.

But the biggest barrier to DLP is the WAF factor. Women think flat panels hanging on walls look cool. Flat panels are the first device in HT history that wives have directed their husbands to buy, guys who havent had a decent TV in years because they were too bulky now have hugh sets, thanks to the coolness factor.
    And my set has a bigger "option" than all of your stuff combined, I WONT SPEND
    1,000 TO 1,500 in ten years of use on bulbs, and most DLP still have bulbs.
    Look at who you're selling to, a small slice of the market thats willing to put up with a larger set for a larger picture, and a lot of THEM are going SXRD.
    A nd the ones who arent are going front projection.
    AND THE "LOW COST" OF dlp? Give me a break! The infamous color wheel is there because the price for a DLP chip for each color is prohibitively high
    One final thought about these "features" you talk about. Most are dependent on using the tuner, most who are really into HT are going to use cable or sat.
    My set has atsc and ntsc tuners, AND PIP, and I NEVER USE ANY BECAUSE,
    1. My cablebox and dvd are my main sources, and
    2. In case you haven't noticed PIP doesn't work that well with HDTV
    i had a mitsu once, my last standard def was a 60in mitsu , with basically the same "guide", put out by RCA, downloaded over cable to your set. Nice.
    And the guide from a motorola cablebox blows its doors off.
    But don't fret rich in your own mind. WHEN YOU CASH IN THAT "HUGH" 401K
    and can't buy a loaf of bread with it, you can always live in that hugh tv of yours.
    THATS what I call thinkin for the future!

What's a "HUGH"...? You used it twice in that thread...never heard the term before aside from someone's name.

These wireless keyboards always get problematic when the batteries get low
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Oh my God! Pix...You are such an idiot!!!! At the beginning of this thread I was backing you up, but after reading your continuous babble I retract.
    I guess I don't get enough time to read your garbage...and that is why you get beat on by everyone.
    You need to either get laid...or take a chill pill...or both!
    But you need to do something!!!

If you told me that my plasma was going to leak. I would take a quick look at you piece of SH*T Vizio and laugh! Especially with it's flat colors and grainy picture!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    I wonder if Pix's real name happens to be Travis Bickle? Hmmm.

Question: am I allowed to hijack a thread that has already been semi-hijacked by the original poster?
    Yes, but be careful. A sociopath with a gun is a very dangerous individual.

For a dude about to jump into hi def from a good but relatively poor resolution CRT TV, this is highly fascinating conversation. I'm pretty mistrustful of plasma and DLP technology for trouble free long term satisfaction but I do see motion artifacts on LCD and LCOS models in the store. I think that plasma has the best color. If LCD could do as well regards color and motion, I could be a customer. Anyone, that includes you, Pix, have the latest information about improvements in these areas using which manufacturers/models? I don't care to hang it on a wall but I would like to view it somewhat off axis without loss of light. Appreciate it. Really.
    designer/manufacturer of custom made time and phase correcting real wool surrounds

Quote Originally Posted by DEVO
    Oh my God! Pix...You are such an idiot!!!! At the beginning of this thread I was backing you up, but after reading your continuous babble I retract.
    I guess I don't get enough time to read your garbage...and that is why you get beat on by everyone.

If you told me that my plasma was going to leak. I would take a quick look at you piece of SH*T Vizio and laugh! Especially with it's flat colors and grainy picture!
    and you just realized this??? lol.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DEVO

yeah, you're really the one to be referring to someone else as an "idiot".
    GAS LEAKAGE is a bit of a problem with plasmas, not to mention having a huge piece of glass hanging on your wall, and from your post it scares me to think that maybe you mounted it. Too bad for the children and small dogs in your house
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jim goulding
    For a dude about to jump into hi def from a good but relatively poor resolution CRT TV, this is highly fascinating conversation. I'm pretty mistrustful of plasma and DLP technology for trouble free long term satisfaction but I do see motion artifacts on LCD and LCOS models in the store. I think that plasma has the best color. If LCD could do as well regards color and motion, I could be a customer. Anyone, that includes you, Pix, have the latest information about improvements in these areas using which manufacturers/models? I don't care to hang it on a wall but I would like to view it somewhat off axis without loss of light. Appreciate it. Really.
    LCD is the way to go, really. The only advantage Plasma has is a slightly better black level,
    and if your lcd is set up right even that is small.
    In real world conditions LCD has advantages over all formats, thats why they sell better.
    You can read while watching, there is practically no glare.
    the lifespan is about 20 years, a Plasma ten, and a DLP needs a 200$+ bulb every few years, and is bulky. ALSO dlp HAS A LOAD OF MOVING PARTS, LIKE A COLOR
    WHEEL, and other things that will break.
    Most lcd now have fast response times, eliminating lag, and the 1080p models
    look quite spectacular.
    Theres a bit of a bias against LCD on this site, something I haven't seen on other sites,
    its snobbery really, those who don't like LCD simpoly don't want something that the great unwashed is snapping up in droves.
    Well, in this case the great unwashed is right, a LCD set is really the best way to go
    Its like I keep saying, the best picture quality is HAVING A PICTURE
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

No the reason they sell better is because small panels are not existant in plasmas! Plasmas are only available in 42" and bigger, LCD's are available from 10" all the way to 70". Go figure!

LCD is the way to go, really. The only advantage Plasma has is a slightly better black level,
    and if your lcd is set up right even that is small.
    In real world conditions LCD has advantages over all formats, thats why they sell better.
    You can read while watching, there is practically no glare.
    the lifespan is about 20 years, a Plasma ten, and a DLP needs a 200$+ bulb every few years, and is bulky. ALSO dlp HAS A LOAD OF MOVING PARTS, LIKE A COLOR
    WHEEL, and other things that will break.
    Most lcd now have fast response times, eliminating lag, and the 1080p models
    look quite spectacular.
    Theres a bit of a bias against LCD on this site, something I haven't seen on other sites,
    its snobbery really, those who don't like LCD simpoly don't want something that the great unwashed is snapping up in droves.
    Well, in this case the great unwashed is right, a LCD set is really the best way to go
    Its like I keep saying, the best picture quality is HAVING A PICTURE
    Actually, no one here is really "ani-LCD." All we did was point out that LCD is not THE best. (Although, a few here did throw in a few personal stabs along the way) They do have their advantages, and others have theirs as well.
    I have a hard time getting behind the, "we sell more, so we are the best" theory. That would make Bose the best audio money could buy. No need to even go down that road. Plasma has a MUCH better black level. Also better color saturation. Better off angle viewing. LCD is brighter, less glare, uses less energy, weighs less than half. Getting better all the time.
    Which one is best for you, is really up to you. But what's best for me, or others, is up to us. It helps more if we give just the facts and keep the personal biases to ourselves. (good luck with that though)
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Actually, no one here is really "ani-LCD." All we did was point out that LCD is not THE best. (Although, a few here did throw in a few personal stabs along the way) They do have their advantages, and others have theirs as well.
    I have a hard time getting behind the, "we sell more, so we are the best" theory. That would make Bose the best audio money could buy. No need to even go down that road. Plasma has a MUCH better black level. Also better color saturation. Better off angle viewing. LCD is brighter, less glare, uses less energy, weighs less than half. Getting better all the time.
    Which one is best for you, is really up to you. But what's best for me, or others, is up to us. It helps more if we give just the facts and keep the personal biases to ourselves. (good luck with that though)
    Not really. What I say about various displays is a fact, not a personal bias.
    You see, heres the problem, anyone can look at how things are going and offer an opinion.
    And its easy to see that LCD is going to be the main format in the future.
    Nothing wrong with DLP, except that it is just not a mass market form factor.
    I actually thought about buying one once, a cheap way to get a big screen.
    And changing bulbs, and the tough regimen you have to maintain to prolong the life of one, nothing to someone who has had turntables his entire life.
    but a Samsung DLP 46 in is selling for 800$ at circuit city!
    This form factor can't be beating the world if they are so cheap.
    DLP has ONE part of the market, HT types who are broke and DLP is the only way they can get a big screen at a reasonable price.
    Thats it.
    FOR everybody else wall mounting, no glare, long life, and a decent if not perfect picture
    will tilt the buyer in favor of LCD.
    dlp AND pLASMA aren't that great in black level either you know.
    I remember when Plasma came out, a major complaint was the lack of black level,
    same with DLP. LCD detractors use this to cut down the display.
    But the truth? The truth is that the difference between plasma, DLP, and LCD is slight
    to most, in which case it comes down to convience, price, and value.
    Thats the real world. Even if your old lady doesn't think wall mounted TV is "cool"
    she can put a curtain over it when you're not watching.
    AS FOR pLASMA , they run hotter , are heavier, made out of a LOT of glass, and the gas does leak out every once in awhile. I COULD WALLMOUNT A lcd, be scared to try with a plasma.
    But does it mean that I "prefer" LCD? NO, just stating the facts as I see them.
    People come to this site for help in choosing a TV among other things.
    Not a bunch of wishy washing "on the other hand" comments.
    I just offer things I have learned over the years, people can disreguard them or pay attention, I don't really care, but what I post you will find somewhere else, usually.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Yes, LCD has come a very long way, and I really don't have a problem w/ any technology. So long as it is built w/ good parts for the customer. It has always been a to each his own...

Not really. What I say about various displays is a fact, not a personal bias.

People come to this site for help in choosing a TV among other things.
    Not a bunch of wishy washing "on the other hand" comments.
    I just offer things I have learned over the years, people can disreguard them or pay attention, I don't really care, but what I post you will find somewhere else, usually.
    LCD's are lighter = fact
    LCD's use less energy = fact
    LCD's are the best = personal bias
    LCD's are the future = personal bias/guess

I really enjoy your posts = fact
    But they are filled with personal bias = fact
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

LCD's are lighter = fact
    LCD's use less energy = fact
    LCD's are the best = personal bias
    LCD's are the future = personal bias/guess

I really enjoy your posts = fact
    But they are filled with personal bias = fact
    Pixelthis thinks he knows everything = fact
    Pixelthis actually knows nothing = opinion
    LCD's are the future according to Pix = fact
    LCD's actually ARE the future = opinion
    Pixelthis prefers LCD over DLP and Plasma = fact, based on opinion
    LCD's are better than DLP or Plasma = opinion based on facts.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    Pixelthis thinks he knows everything = fact

Nope, but he does know more than YOU

Pixelthis actually knows nothing = opinion

a WRONG ONE

LCD's are the future according to Pix = fact

Not the future according to ME, the future according to market trends, GET USED TO IT
    Heres another "fact" you can label as opinion , CRT will be extinct in five years except as 20 $ black & white 5 inchers at drugstores.
    Call THAT opinion, but its STILL gonna happen
    LCD's actually ARE the future = opinion

THEY ARE the immediate future, until something else, like organic LED, comes along
    my first TV was 19in crt, a good size back then, 26in was the largest direct view you could get, it took a decade before 32in was common.
    A year and a half ago a 32in LCD was a 1000$, today a Olevia at office max sells for 499$
    When high quality 32in LCD is flying off of the shelves at 300$ maybe you will get this into that hard head of yours, for most the picture is fine, and the price can't be beat

Pixelthis prefers LCD over DLP and Plasma = fact, based on opinion

I don't prefer any form of display over another, doesn't change the fact that producing TV sets is expensive, and they won't keep making them if they can't sell them.
    AND right now LCD is the best form factor for me, unfortunately for DLP and PLASMA
    that is a choice that more and more are making, one thing for sure, CRT is dead

LCD's are better than DLP or Plasma = opinion based on facts.
    Depends on what your citeria is.
    MORE RELIABLE? yep.

MORE COST EFFECTIVE? yep, DLP is cheaper initally, but more expensive because it will take a 1000$ worth of bulbs to keep it going ten years, a LCD will last twenty, a lifetime if you change backlights. PLASMA WILL LAST TEN YEARS AND still cost more than LCD

PICTURE QUALITY? even. Show three sets, one of each type to a layman, he will have a hard time telling the difference.
    If you watch a lot of sports you might notice a little lag on an LCD every once in awhile,
    not often.
    And while black level suffers from the backlight always being on, that is also a problem with DLP and plasma.
    DLP "fixed" this problem somewhat with an iris in front of the light source, light goes down
    when scenes get dark. But LCD now has backlight control also, and with a little adjustment the black level is fine. As good as CRT? No, but what is?

You can call it my "opinion" as much as you want, wont keep it from coming to pass.
    When I was younger older folks always had "opinions" also, I hardly ever paid attention.
    It took me some time to realize that these "opinions" were based on hard won knowledge.
    Maybe you'll figure that out someday, but I doubt it
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information