ryk
    Forum Regular

DLP Recommendations

OK OK OK....so now that I have some great info on DLP 720 vs 1080, I need some advice and/or opnions on some of the better 720 or 1080 DLP sets out there.

I have read very good things about JVC - TOSHIBA - SAMSUNG -MITSUBISHI etc. Even though Sony does not make a DLP set (or do they???) and have some reliablity issues, I still think they do great video. I am open to any and all opnions.

Please feel free to supply as much info as possible. Spending $3,000 to $4,000 on a set... I'd like to think I'm making the right choice for years to come. All info is appreciated!!!
    Last edited by ryk; 03-30-2006 at 07:08 AM.
    "Nothing fades as fast as the future
    and nothing clings like the past"
    - Peter Gabriel

only a newbie in name
    Quote Originally Posted by ryk
    OK OK OK....so now that I have some great info on DLP 720 vs 1080, I need some advice and/or opnions on some of the better 720 or 1080 DLP sets out there.

I have read very good things about JVC - TOSHIBA - SAMSUNG -MITSUBISHI etc. Even though Sony does not make a DLP set (or do they???) and have some reliablity issues, I still think they do great video. I am open to any and all opnions.

Please feel free to supply as much info as possible. Spending $3,000 to $4,000 on a set... I'd like to think I'm making the right choice for years to come. All info is appreciated!!!
    Sony does not make DLP, just LCD and SXRD... I have seen the Samsungs and Mits TVs and both look great. The Mits seemed to render non-HD programming a little better but to each his own on that end. Also thought the Mits seemed a little more natural with the colors and the Samsungs were a little washed out - both sets were ISF calibrated. All of that being said, what size are you looking for? Keep in mind that none of the current sets, with the possible exception of Mits, accept a 1080P input. The Mits does through the FireWire jack but nothing else I have seen.
    Look at the WD52628, WD62628, HLR5078W, HLR5678W and the HLR6178W just for comparison sake...
    Anyone know anything about the JVC or Toshiba sets?

Cheers

AR Newbie Registered Member
    The new SONY SXRD is their proprietary version of rear light projection. Current models have 1920x 1080 pixels and paint 1080p on the screen.

Cool Samsung DLP

I have owned a Samsung DLP for nearly two years now Model HL-P085W. This model is 720p native. Okay, so it has been a love/hate relationship with DLP in my house. I have Dish Network's latest DVR Vip622 receiver connected with all of the finest HDMI cables, etc. For DVDs and HD signals, the picture is simply outstanding. Here's the rub: for standard definition channels, the picture is simply okay and in some cases not even okay. The picture tends to digitize especially for darker backgrounds on the standard channels. This took a long time to get used to. Of course, after I bought it I read in several places that this is the major drawback to DLP. Secondly, the set has had to have two light engines replaced - in one year. Those puppies run around $160 a piece. Fortunately, I had purchased the extended warranty and was covered. Still, the parts took 3 weeks to get here so we were without our "main" TV for a while. Also, it takes a very skilled and experience technician to fine tune the unit with a "hidden" factory menu. The first two guys had no clue and even with the new light engine the picture was just awful. So, yup I love the DLP picture for high def and DVD. Very, very lukewarm for standard def picture.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    DLP's
    I would have to agree with Buffalo Bill about the DLP's. I sell Sony, Panny, and JVC sets and also have a JVC 720p model in my house. I have dish network service ( I won't even get into those guys at the moment) and the standard def picture comes across as nothing more than sub-par. Pixelation issues in the dark images. The HD channels come across great. Watching the Houston Astros in the World Series last year we could count the stitches on Roger Clemens ball cap. Fantastic. No real qualms with the picture during day light hours (when I am actually home to watch TV in the day) and overall could not be more satisfied. I have sold a couple of the 1080 versions of different TV's and personally am not dissapointed that I didn't wait a couple of more months to pay a whole lot more money for the 1080 technology. Maybe someone who has both kind of sets in house could point out MAJOR differences in picture quality, but it is not worth the money to these eyes.
    Also, no matter who you get your TV from, definitely get the extended warranty. What is $300 dollars now compared to who knows how much down the road.

Regards,
    Jason Price

Thread Information