Forum Regular

Directv HD - Sound Issues

I am noticing that some HD programming consistently sounds very good (ESPN-HD for example). On some channels though (ABC East HD - 86) it sounds like it's coming out of a tunnel and the overall volume level is quite low. Channel 86 isn't the only one. On some of the concerts they broadcast on the HD channels, I also notice very poor sound. Some of the OTA HD channels also exhibit the same behavior. Since some channels are very good, I doubt it's my equipment that is the issue. I'm guessing it's a matter of how the program was originally recorded?!?

Audio setup: Optical audio cable (Monster) from my Directv Receiver (H10) into a Yamaha HTR-5280 AV receiver.

Video setup: HDMI cable (Belkin) from Directv Receiver directly into a Samsung HLR4667W.

Thanks,
    Rob

Forum Regular
    Make sure you have your satalite receiver set to pcm AND dolby digital. I have
    a DishNetwork HD receiver and it gives you 3 options, dolby digital, pcm or both.
    try it.
    JVC RXDP-10 Reciever
    7 OutlawAudio M-200 monoblocks
    Infinity IL-60 Mains
    Infinity IL-36c Center
    Infinity IL-50 Surrounds
    Infinity IL-10 Back Surrounds
    SVS PB12-ULTRA/2
    Mitsubishi 65" hdtv
    Douglas theater seating

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately, the Directv H10 does not have an option to set it to "BOTH." It's either Dolby Digital or PCM. I did test though just setting it to PCM and the channels that sounded poor, sound much better. Too much of a pain though to go into the menu and flip this back and forth, while just flipping from channel to channel. I called Directv and they also confirmed these findings. I'll send them an email for documentation purposes, because having the option for BOTH would seem to me to be a quick, painless fix.

Thread Information