• 08-04-2004, 04:57 PM
    sNafu
    dipole surrounds against back wall
    My listening area is relatively small such that the couch must be positioned against the back wall making it impossible to have the surrounds positioned behind it. Since the surrounds are dipoles, if I position them on the side walls to either side of the listening area then one end will be right up against the wall and probably won't sound good. Any ideas? I thought about maybe using speaker mounts and mounting them in the corners so that they reflect off the walls at a 45 degree angle. Or possibly on the rear walls? What about slightly forward of the listening area which would place them about a foot from the back wall? I'll probably wind up experimenting quite a bit but I'd love to get some input from you gurus. For whatever reason, despit its smallish size, the room has great natural acoustics....it has 11 foot ceilings and hardwood floors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

S
  • 08-04-2004, 07:45 PM
    cam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sNafu
    My listening area is relatively small such that the couch must be positioned against the back wall making it impossible to have the surrounds positioned behind it. Since the surrounds are dipoles, if I position them on the side walls to either side of the listening area then one end will be right up against the wall and probably won't sound good. Any ideas? I thought about maybe using speaker mounts and mounting them in the corners so that they reflect off the walls at a 45 degree angle. Or possibly on the rear walls? What about slightly forward of the listening area which would place them about a foot from the back wall? I'll probably wind up experimenting quite a bit but I'd love to get some input from you gurus. For whatever reason, despit its smallish size, the room has great natural acoustics....it has 11 foot ceilings and hardwood floors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

S

I have dipoles and thank god I don't have a situation like yours. I still have 11 feet behind my couch, but anyways, with my situation I can move my head about 2 feet in front or 2 feet behind my speakers ,which are mounted at 7 feet (9 feet ceilings), and still be in the null of the speaker. Two of the situations you mentioned may work. I would temporarily mount them on the side walls about 2 feet away from the back wall first and then I would try the 45 degree in the corner idea. If all goes well, when you put your test tones on, it will appear that you have not only a speaker beside you but a speaker behind you. When set up properly dipoles are amazing.
  • 08-07-2004, 10:00 AM
    saul
    Cam,
    I have dipoles also Klipsch Reference) and my theater room is very long, but narrow. I was experimenting with the sound and mounted my speakers vertical on the walls next to the couch approx. 7' and noticed more detail in surround sound. Is this a bad way to mount these? I've tried them both ways now and seem to get better sound this way. Thanks!
  • 08-07-2004, 11:28 AM
    cam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saul
    Cam,
    I have dipoles also Klipsch Reference) and my theater room is very long, but narrow. I was experimenting with the sound and mounted my speakers vertical on the walls next to the couch approx. 7' and noticed more detail in surround sound. Is this a bad way to mount these? I've tried them both ways now and seem to get better sound this way. Thanks!

These speakers you have, do they have 1 woofer in the middle and 2 tweeters, one facing forward and 1 facing back. If they are I don't think they are dipoles, in which case all drivers are in phase and mounting them vertical won't hurt you. If they aren't those speakers then forget what I just said. Now if they are true dipoles you should have minimum 4 drivers, 2 facing forward and 2 facing back. The 2 facing back are wired out of phase and in order for them to work properly they have to be mounted correctly to give the correct effect. If you mounted them vertical you either have the speakers facing down or the speakers facing up, depending which way you rotated them, out of phase in which both cases should totaly wreck your soundfield. But it is your system and if your little tweak makes it sound better to you then all the power to you.
  • 08-07-2004, 09:28 PM
    saul
    Thanks for the input. They have 1 woofer and 2 tweeters. In this case, the vertical position should be Ok since they are all in phase?