Forum Regular

How do I know what surround setting to use?

This may be an ignorant question in here, but... I have the choice of the various Dolbys, DTS or 5ch stereo. Obviously 5 ch stereo isnt much of an option for DVDs or cable.
    I have a very meager set of speakers, 4.0 with some bookshelves. I want to achieve the most bang for my current set-up. Is it a matter of setting the AVR to AUTO for the sources, or is one option better than another?
    I have a Denon 1905, DVD, digital cable and a plasma....

Play with the buttons.

Try all the options that your unit has to offer. After a while you will find the ones that make your ears happiest. Don't be surprized if it's not always the same setting. I find pure direct to be my favorite when listening to most CD's or other 2 channel sources. But some recordings do sound better using the straight effect. Some TV channels are in stereo, some in SAP stereo, and some in mono. I have favorite settings for each.
    Play around with it. Have fun, and let your ears make the choice. Some will tell you to use this or that but ultimately it has to make you happy, not anyone else.
    If it's all too much, then auto works.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    For music listening I barely ever use a surround mode (or DSP). Once in a while maybe just to show people what it is. If I want loud music housewide, I'll use the 7 channel stereo mode just for added volume.

For movies, I absolutely love them, and in most cases I use a DSP to enhance the experience. I'd say 9 out of 10 times I prefer it to the original. But then, I think movie DSP's tend to alter the source less.

There's no right or wrong, just do what sounds best to you.

Forum Regular
    I have a Denon 3801 and I'm assuming you have the basic similar features. Before you do anything, you need to have your input presets set. Nothing personal, it sounds like you haven't read or followed the instructions. I'd recommend you either get a friend who is familiar setting up a receiver or pay a high end store around $75 to set it up. Chances are though, you'll disregard my advice, keep posting on this board as you find you're digging yourself into a bigger hole and then dig yourself into an even bigger hole.

You want to have your basic default for your DVD/CD player input and I'd imagine your TV unit set to 5 channel sound. This way if you have your DVD player etc. connected by fiber optics cable it will automatically give you dolby digital 5.1 surround sound unless you change an audio setting on your DVD disc or player, etc. Chances are what I'm saying based on your post is a Third Language to you. Again I strongly recommend, no matter what these people tell you here- it's not their time and system you're tinkering with remember that, and just because they know what they're talking about and can implement if they were in front of your system, I give 2 to 1 odds you can't, get a friend or pay someone to set your system up.

Assuming you now have this set up properly, on your DVD menu for most current films you will have the option of listening to DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound. I prefer Dolby Digital, others here prefer DTS, its a matter of personal preference. Older movies sometimes only have 2 channel sound.

When I play CD's I prefer to listen to what is called on my system 5 channel all natural sound. This to me gives better depth. Other people here prefer to listen to CD's on 2 channels. Again that is a matter of preference and do what you think sounds best for your ears.

The bottom line is, it sounds like from your post your relatively cluess, I'm not trying to insult you here, and your better off getting someone to set your system up and demonstrate things to you first hand in front of you so it will sink in. Good luck
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 06-22-2005 at 02:00 PM.

4.0? No center or subwoofer?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam01
    This may be an ignorant question in here, but... I have the choice of the various Dolbys, DTS or 5ch stereo. Obviously 5 ch stereo isnt much of an option for DVDs or cable.
    I have a very meager set of speakers, 4.0 with some bookshelves. I want to achieve the most bang for my current set-up. Is it a matter of setting the AVR to AUTO for the sources, or is one option better than another?
    I have a Denon 1905, DVD, digital cable and a plasma....
    Clarify please. No center certainly limits your options.

First thing you gotta do is make sure that all of the setup parameters are correct -- i.e. if you have no center speaker, make sure that the receiver's setup menu also knows that no center speaker's plugged in. Once the setup on your receiver matches what's actually in your room, then whatever surround setting you go with will come down to personal preference. All of the 5.1 DSP modes will account for whatever spekers are present, and compensate for anything that's missing. The only other thing I would look out for is to make sure that the LFE output gets mixed into the main speaker channels. Without a subwoofer present, the LFE output winds up going nowhere if the default setting sends the LFE through the subwoofer output.

Forum Regular
    Assuming you now have this set up properly, on your DVD menu for most current films you will have the option of listening to DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 (or 7.1) surround sound. I prefer Dolby Digital, others here prefer DTS, its a matter of personal preference. Older movies sometimes only have 2 channel sound.
    Pretty much sums it up. Actually I have read the manual and my speaker set-up is dialed in. My goal, with a limited speaker system is to get more out of my surrounds. I gather from the manual that I can adjust the sound field and bias towards the surrounds. This may be th answer right now. Im used to being in musical Nirvana with my 2 channel stuff, so patience is in order.

Thread Information