Thread: Upscaling

AR Newbie Registered Member

Upscaling

Hello all,

If I have my PS3 set to double scale and my Sony STR-DA5200ES set to upscale to suit my 1080i tv, is one cancelling out the other? Should I have only 1 component of the 2 set to upscale? Or is this OK?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by bencholette; 10-31-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Suspended
    My guess, as I'm not familiar with the PS3 or what "double scale" does, would be to turn off the upsampling in your receiver for the PS3's path. The PS3 should be able to output at least 1080i and shouldn't need any further upgrade. Other sources may benefit from the upsampling in the receiver so you might want to turn it on in paths of input sources less capable of delivering hi rez as the PS3 is. I'm assuming your receiver allows separate on/off for each video input of the upconverting feature.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bencholette
    Hello all,

If I have my PS3 set to double scale and my Sony STR-DA5200ES set to upscale to suit my 1081i tv, is one cancelling out the other? Should I have only 1 component of the 2 set to upscale? Or is this OK?

Thanks for the help
    ALL modern receivers that "upscale" to a certain resolution pass through hi-def signals.
    If you are talking about regular DVD then pick which componet you want to do the upscaling.
    If you think the receivers better then have your PS3 output 480i for
    regular DVD.
    Me, I would set my PS3 to 1080i, the native res of your TV.
    The receiver will pass it through, most likely.
    Of course best thing would be to use an HDMI connection straight from teh PS3 to the set.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I would only use the upscaler that does the better job. That's probably going to be hard to tell by the naked eye. If it's the PS3, set it to "Normal", not "Double".

Suspended
    I have my PS3 set to "normal". 480i movies played from my PS3 are displayed in 1080p on my 1080p HDTV. I find no need to muck around with those settings.

Upscaling

Just an update:

Since using the STR-DA5200ES in my system, I've had the PS3 connected to this receiver via HDMI then the receiver is connected to my tv via HDMI - DVI cable (I do have to use optical with that setup as the DVI prevents the audio handshake that is needed for loss-less audio). In the past I had the PS3 connected directly to my tv via HDMI - DVI and had calibrated my tv's image and color using that setup. Since now connecting through the receiver, the only difference I can see is the image seems darker now...I assume I need to recalibrate my TV using this setup?

One of the selling features of this receiver is the Faroudja upscaling (of course I'm only concerned with upscaling for DVD, not Bluray). Once I had everything setup and working, the thought occured to me that the PS3 and the receiver are both upscaling now (hence my post on here). Just a bit confused as to which way to go..

Thanks

My guess is that if you have a 1080i display that it's natural resolution is 720p. The 1080i label most likely means that it will accept 1080i signal but then scale it to 720p. If that is the case, it doesn't make sense to have your PS3 upscale 480i to 1080i just so your display has to rescale it back down to 720p.
    Find out what the natural resolution of your display is. Then have the PS3 do the scaling to that. (watch something)
    Then turn the scaller on the PS3 off and let the display (or receiver) do the scaling. (watch the same something)
    Decide which one looked best.
    Stick with that.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Wait a minute. Why don't you drop $12 on a HDMI cable and use the PS3/AVR to their full potential? That unit can accept mutli channel LPCM via HDMI.....Perfect for the PS3 since it can decode and output HD audio via HDMI.

I'm using HDMI a far as my system can go. Unfortunaly due to the DVI connection at my tv, I have to use an optical connection for audio from the PS3 to the receiver.

I'm using HDMI a far as my system can go. Unfortunaly due to the DVI connection at my tv, I have to use an optical connection for audio from the PS3 to the receiver.
    Really. That's interesting. So when you use the HDMI connection from your PS3 to AVR for audio/video, & the HDMI-DVI from AVR to your display, you don't get sound from the AVR? What exactly happens?

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Really. That's interesting. So when you use the HDMI connection from your PS3 to AVR for audio/video, & the HDMI-DVI from AVR to your display, you don't get sound from the AVR? What exactly happens?
    Smartypants.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular

Since using the STR-DA5200ES in my system, I've had the PS3 connected to this receiver via HDMI then the receiver is connected to my tv via HDMI - DVI cable (I do have to use optical with that setup as the DVI prevents the audio handshake that is needed for loss-less audio).

First off, you cannot pass lossless audio through an optical connection as far as I know. Secondly, as it has already been pointed out, why do you need another audio connection anyhow? You already have one with the HDMI.

Thread Information