Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Digital TV

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    What are you talking about?I started this thread for info i vs p and the way it works.I did'nt compare 480p to 720p but to a 540 i yes. I have a Sharp lcd hdtv ready and dont want cable box on it.This plasma is in our living room and we dont spend hours watching tv but have a large collection of dvd music concert ,music video and movies.The price was right at this time of the game and it does'nt take much room.
    Well, I hope you enjoy it, I really do, I have over 150 dvds myself (inc a lot of concert stuff)
    but I get perplexed as to why people buy stuff like "edtv", I just think my DVDS
    LOOK BETTER on hdtv, an HDTV just gets more out of this format is all.
    AS for rich on paper I hope his company makes plenty of money, so he can keep that nice house of his.
    Besides they're gonna need it when all of these class action lawsuits hit from people
    getting killed changing the bulbs in their TV in a few years
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Fact: HDTV at 1080i or 1080p produces a better resolved, more detailed picture that 480p DVD. Can 480p look very good on a smaller monitor, such as my Loewe 38" Aconda tube TV? Yes it can. But compared to 1080i, it still comes up short even on that same television. Its easy to see this. If you have a 'smaller' screen HD ready TV, just pick up a Zenith HD SAT420 over the air receiver and silver arrow antenna on ebay. You will see immediately that 1080i HDTV produces a much finer, more detailed picture. A good DVD player at 480p on the same TV - say the Sony DVP-NS9000ES does look very good, but still not as good. If you step up to a much larger screen, the 480p resolution is stretched beyond the measure of its capabilities in terms of scaling. HD is the way of the future and its here now. Lets not destroy the chances of excellent high res formats such as HD DVD or Blu-Ray from developing into standards the way naysayers did with SACD. If people look to this site for direction, lets be honest and tell them that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, while too expensive for the moment, is superior to 480p DVD.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Fact: HDTV at 1080i or 1080p produces a better resolved, more detailed picture that 480p DVD. Can 480p look very good on a smaller monitor, such as my Loewe 38" Aconda tube TV? Yes it can. But compared to 1080i, it still comes up short even on that same television. Its easy to see this. If you have a 'smaller' screen HD ready TV, just pick up a Zenith HD SAT420 over the air receiver and silver arrow antenna on ebay. You will see immediately that 1080i HDTV produces a much finer, more detailed picture. A good DVD player at 480p on the same TV - say the Sony DVP-NS9000ES does look very good, but still not as good. If you step up to a much larger screen, the 480p resolution is stretched beyond the measure of its capabilities in terms of scaling. HD is the way of the future and its here now. Lets not destroy the chances of excellent high res formats such as HD DVD or Blu-Ray from developing into standards the way naysayers did with SACD. If people look to this site for direction, lets be honest and tell them that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, while too expensive for the moment, is superior to 480p DVD.
    Thank you.
    One of the biggest surprizes of HDTV was the way it embrassed DVD, all of a sudden
    my pristine DVD images werent quite so nice, it was like when I tried to watch a vhs tape
    after watching DVD'S for awhile.
    Its like my old electronics teacher, who hade seen studio video, always said, NTSC
    is really bad, but the human brain fills in a lot of gaps, and DVD, at the end of the day, is still 480i ntsc, has to be line-doubled to be 480p.
    Its good standard def, but STILL standard def
    The prettiest street walker is still a street walker
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    You dont havta tell Mr peabody this, his new HDBLURAY player has convinced him
    (check out his new thread)
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Somebody **** in your cereal this morning?I did'nt start this thread to get insulted.If I wanted to invest in more expensive plasma I could .
    I wouldn't normally defend pixelthis, but in all fairness, you DID ask for comments/opinions.

Jeff
    PIONEER: SX-780, CT-F700, HPM-100(x4), DV-C302D, PD-F1007, PL-514; DENON: AVR-983; SONY: D-15, DVP-985V, DVP-CX860(x2); TOSHIBA: XR-9459; TECHNICS: SL-1800MK2, SL-1700MK2, SL-1400MK2; NAD: PE2200; PARADIGM REFERENCE: STUDIO 100 V.2, SERVO-15, X-30; CERWIN-VEGA: DX-9; REALISTIC: MACH 2; RCA: 42" LCD HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
    I wouldn't normally defend pixelthis, but in all fairness, you DID ask for comments/opinions.

Jeff
    Which is always a mistake if you dont want the unpleasant truth
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information