• 01-12-2006, 10:50 AM
    L.J.
    Differences in receivers...
    ....I'm talkin' sound wise. I've read plenty of threads where certain recv are described as dark or warm, bright or natural. I'm curious about this difference in sound.


    What do you guys think about this?

    How significant are these differences?


    When I upgraded from a JVC to my Denon, there was a noted difference. But it was not as I had suspected. The sound was more dynamic and detailed, but nothing to cry about.
  • 01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
    Eric Z
    I tested a Denon in my house before settling with the Yamaha and I didn't notice a difference at all. It was interesting because I used the exact same speakers and set-up. My dealer said (I think I also heard some here say this as well) there used to be bigger differences, but not nearly as much now.

    I think you would only notice big differences if you jump up a few levels. For example, when I switched from my older Sony non-DD, HT, etc to my Yamaha, I noticed huge differences- it wasn't because of one being brighter or more clear, it was because the Sony was outdated and couldn't power my speakers appropriately.

    Interesting. I look forward to reading what others write.
  • 01-12-2006, 12:23 PM
    kexodusc
    I have a few receivers around the house, a few amps, etc. They don't all sound the same, but I have noticed a lot of similarly priced a/v receivers sound pretty darn close. I wonder if they don't all pretty much use a generic design or something? My amps/power amps have much more sonic character.

    With receivers, I'd say it's so close in fact that the odd setting difference or processing feature can have more impact. As you spend more money on an a/v receiver, the differences become more pronounced. Even then, they're still not always immediately obvious when comparing to competing products.

    Compared to speakers, I just don't think amps/receivers contribute as much to sound differences. Just my opinion.
  • 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM
    EdwardGein
    Well my Denon 3801 Receiver made a night and day difference with my previous JVC RX DV31SL receiver. Speakers also play a part as well as, shock, optic cables & DVD player as well as settings. One thing I would check on for sure which is a common mistake I bet 90% of the people on this forum have made/still do make is, you should regularly double check your actual DVD/CD/Universal player settings as well as your receiver settings. One little oops could mess all your sound up. If you think you're not hearing something right, guess what, you're probably not hearing it right!
  • 01-12-2006, 12:34 PM
    GMichael
    Recievers built in a month containing an "R" always sound better than ones built on a day ending in "Y".
  • 01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
    MCF
    GMichael....
    Hehehehe...I agree 100%!!
  • 01-13-2006, 08:03 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Eric Z
    I tested a Denon in my house before settling with the Yamaha and I didn't notice a difference at all. It was interesting because I used the exact same speakers and set-up. My dealer said (I think I also heard some here say this as well) there used to be bigger differences, but not nearly as much now.

    Hey Eric,

    Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about. Different recv's under the same condition, within the same price range.


    GM,

    Not sound better, sound difference.
  • 01-13-2006, 08:15 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hey Eric,

    Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about. Different recv's under the same condition, within the same price range.


    GM,

    Not sound better, sound difference.

    Yeah yeah, like Denon's being warmer and Yamaha's being brighter etc. They sounded the same to me under the same settings. A small tweek here, another one there, wham! The Denon is bright and the Yamaha is warm or vice versa. Not much difference (in the same price range as you said) between brands.

    But I stand by the "not liking the ones built on a day ending in "Y" statement."
  • 01-13-2006, 11:06 AM
    L.J.
    I guess the only true way to hear for myself would be to go out and do some shopping, pick up about 4 recv's and spend the next month or so listen'.
  • 01-13-2006, 11:16 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by L.J.
    I guess the only true way to hear for myself would be to go out and do some shopping, pick up about 4 recv's and spend the next month or so listen'.

    I don't think you'll hear a night & day difference in the same price class. But, you should have fun finding out.
  • 01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GMichael
    I don't think you'll hear a night & day difference in the same price class. But, you should have fun finding out.

    Imagine explaining that one to the wife.

    Honey, I just needed to purchase these 5 AVR's totaling about $4000 so I can see what's the difference in sound between them, if any at all. Don't worry I have 30 days to get this test done and return all of them before we're charged. Who me, yes I took my meds this morning, why do you ask?
  • 01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by L.J.
    Imagine explaining that one to the wife.

    Honey, I just needed to purchase these 5 AVR's totaling about $4000 so I can see what's the difference in sound between them, if any at all. Don't worry I have 30 days to get this test done and return all of them before we're charged. Who me, yes I took my meds this morning, why do you ask?

    Don't forget to bring in $10,000 in speakers while you're at it. Because some receivers sound better with one receiver instead of another & vise versa.
  • 01-13-2006, 11:39 AM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GMichael
    Don't forget to bring in $10,000 in speakers while you're at it. Because some receivers sound better with one receiver instead of another & vise versa.

    Your right, my gold card aint gonna cut it. I'm gonna have to go Titanium.


    Wonder how long before I'm on the couch
  • 01-13-2006, 04:33 PM
    L.J.
    Hey GM,

    I was reading in another thread that you're gonna go with seperates soon?
  • 01-13-2006, 04:38 PM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by L.J.
    Hey GM,

    I was reading in another thread that you're gonna go with seperates soon?

    Well, I don't know about soon. But it's on my things to do list. My goal it to eventually have Maggies in the main room. Thinking 1.6's for fronts, MMGW's for surrounds, rears & pressents. Then an MMGC for the center. These would load down my Yammie so I'd need better amps. I like the Halo Amps & proccessors but this is so far off that I may find something else I like better by then. It will most likely happen a little at a time. But many more things are in front of that.
    How old was the thread you were looking at? I was close to going this route last spring/summer before I signed up for a new house. Plans have changed a bit.
    Now it's:
    1 house
    2 projector
    3 new sub
    4 re-evaluate budget
    5 seperates
  • 01-13-2006, 05:07 PM
    L.J.
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GMichael
    Well, I don't know about soon. But it's on my things to do list. My goal it to eventually have Maggies in the main room. Thinking 1.6's for fronts, MMGW's for surrounds, rears & pressents. Then an MMGC for the center. These would load down my Yammie so I'd need better amps. I like the Halo Amps & proccessors but this is so far off that I may find something else I like better by then. It will most likely happen a little at a time. But many more things are in front of that.
    How old was the thread you were looking at? I was close to going this route last spring/summer before I signed up for a new house. Plans have changed a bit.
    Now it's:
    1 house
    2 projector
    3 new sub
    4 re-evaluate budget
    5 seperates

    Not sure which thread. I haven't heard any maggies yet, but from how they're described by everyone, I think I'd like em. I had wanted to convert my garage into a dedicated room, but that won't be a thought for awhile either.
  • 01-14-2006, 06:38 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by L.J.
    Not sure which thread. I haven't heard any maggies yet, but from how they're described by everyone, I think I'd like em. I had wanted to convert my garage into a dedicated room, but that won't be a thought for awhile either.

    I heard a pair of 3.6's in Albany as well as the MC1's. Good stuff, still dream about it.
  • 01-14-2006, 07:08 AM
    Florian
    Jup, like my saying goes. There is only one thing better then surface area, and that is more surface area. I love sitting infront of 15.4ft2 of speaker :p