Talking Difference between progressive/non progressive DVD-P according to Sears' salesman.

I was in Sears today wanting to buy a DVD player for bedroom TV. Just for fun, I asked the salesman if I see any differences between progressive and non progressive DVD player if I had a analog [non- progressive] TV?

And he said that progressive DVD player will give you slightly better picture even with analog TVs because DVd player is operating in progressive mode. "Your TV might not accept progressive signal, but since the source will be progressive and then converted to non progressive, you will get better picture quality", he said.

So I stopped asking any more questions since I didn't want to be flooded with good informative answerers again

By the way, I bought Toshiba DVD player SD-3960 (24-bit/192kHz PCM audio compatibility) which was on sale for $61

Forum Regular
    i know what that guy said is wrong but......... some of you may not believe me, but atleast for me progressive scan dvd players look better on my 61" sony "non Progressive" then non progressive "i know the dvd player just shuts off the progressive part and acts as a regular player" but there is a difference. i went through 6 dvd player auditions at home to find one that was good enough!

panasonic 5 disk the 85 model - took it back becuase of layer change problems

panasonic 1 disk - layer change problems.........

sony 5 disk "non progressive" took it back becuase all the writing on my tv was all blurry"

hitachi "non progressive" - same thing the picture quality wasnt up to par with others

samsung "progressive" - great picture but i had the same layer change problem as the other ones

then FINALLY i just spent extra and bought a yamaha dvd player "progressive" and have never looked back.

i have absolutely no idea why the progressives looked better but there was definetely a difference nothing i can just pretend in my head. "and my tv is definetely not progressive, incase your thinking" maybe just the progressives have better parts in them, they are more money.

that layer change thing was a nightmare to, it was insane every dvd player i brought home had like a 5 second layer change. except the yamaha now.

Forum Regular
    Might simply be that the build quality is better on the progressive scan players, or maybe the Yamaha had better video circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by uncooked
    i know what that guy said is wrong but......... some of you may not believe me, but atleast for me progressive scan dvd players look better on my 61" sony "non Progressive" then non progressive "i know the dvd player just shuts off the progressive part and acts as a regular player" but there is a difference. i went through 6 dvd player auditions at home to find one that was good enough!

panasonic 5 disk the 85 model - took it back becuase of layer change problems

panasonic 1 disk - layer change problems.........

sony 5 disk "non progressive" took it back becuase all the writing on my tv was all blurry"

hitachi "non progressive" - same thing the picture quality wasnt up to par with others

samsung "progressive" - great picture but i had the same layer change problem as the other ones

then FINALLY i just spent extra and bought a yamaha dvd player "progressive" and have never looked back.

i have absolutely no idea why the progressives looked better but there was definetely a difference nothing i can just pretend in my head. "and my tv is definetely not progressive, incase your thinking" maybe just the progressives have better parts in them, they are more money.

that layer change thing was a nightmare to, it was insane every dvd player i brought home had like a 5 second layer change. except the yamaha now.

Forum Regular
    thats what i thought it must be, either that or i got a dud from every single company. but i dont think that is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by uncooked
    I know what that guy said is wrong but......... some of you may not believe me, but atleast for me progressive scan dvd players look better on my 61" sony "non Progressive" then non progressive.
    As Invader3k mentioned, picture quality of DVD player depend greatly on its video DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). Some DVd player regardless being progressive or not juts have better quality DACs.

Looking at the current DVD player market, looks like non progressive DVD players will probably be phased out. There only couple of non progressive DVD player on the shelf at Sears and most were progressive. Even the Toshiba I got is progressive.

By the way, so far this DVD player is great. I haven't messed around with its audio capability, but video quality is definitely top notch

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    I was in Sears today wanting to buy a DVD player for bedroom TV. Just for fun, I asked the salesman if I see any differences between progressive and non progressive DVD player if I had a analog [non- progressive] TV?

And he said that progressive DVD player will give you slightly better picture even with analog TVs because DVd player is operating in progressive mode. "Your TV might not accept progressive signal, but since the source will be progressive and then converted to non progressive, you will get better picture quality", he said.

So I stopped asking any more questions since I didn't want to be flooded with good informative answerers again

By the way, I bought Toshiba DVD player SD-3960 (24-bit/192kHz PCM audio compatibility) which was on sale for $61

Yes, this salesperson got it wrong but I tend to give them a break. Most of them work crappy hours, get paid next to nothing, and have to put up with the crap that a lot of customer dish out.

I do agree with your statement. But the salesman was bragging about how much he is into computer and videos. So I was testing him.

And while we are on that subject, it seem that Sears's saleporsons tend to be older than Bestbuy or Circuitcitys' . I know one them have been at Sears over 10 years

Forum Regular
    A rep at a high end A/V store here told me that yamaha dvd players are made by panasonic. when I heard that I didnt buy the yamaha. We bought the marantz dvd 4200 and amazing !! is all I have to say. The rep even downloaded some software as the player couldnt read copy protected disks.
    The Furry White Poochundefined

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Avoiding Yamaha DVD players that someone told you may or may not be made by Panasonic is wrong for so many reasons...and the funny thing about that Marantz unit you bought (which I also own), well, I'll let you discover that...
    I've only seen a few Yammie DVD players, but they seemed decent enough. Haven't heard any negative feedback. And regardless of where the components are purchased and the unit assembled, it has to be done to Yamaha's standards, not Panasonic's. Matsu****a makes some incredibly high quality stuff. They also make some equipment that shouldn't be sold without disclaimers.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Matsu****a makes some incredibly high quality stuff.
    That's funny. Is there some kind of auto filter applied to our posts. Let's see... ****
    Last edited by wasch_24; 05-05-2004 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Yep there's a filter
    HDistheonlyTV...Voom, Voom

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Matsu****a makes some incredibly high quality stuff. They also make some equipment that shouldn't be sold without disclaimers.
    I agree. Panasonic consumer products are one of the best in the world in term of quality, but their cheap priced components like DVD players does leave something to be desired. And fierce competition that is coming from China might make matters worse in term of quality

Thread Information