***** Lurker

Question Deterioration of image on my DLP - bulb?

So many folks post anecdotal anomalies regarding their monitors - here's another one. I have a LG 62 DLP that I have owned about three years. I only watch movies in the evenings (blu ray/hddvd). Last night I noticed whenever there was skin tones (faces, hands, etc) there were, how to describe this, reddish splotches and other discolorations. Could it be my bulb failing? I have a replacement bulb but I thought that when your bulb begins to fail there is some sort of indicator warning. HiDef TV programming looked just fine. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Suspended
    Hairsonfire (great name), to hear that you've had your DLP TV for three years and you haven't yet had to change the bulb is not only a slap in the face of some DLP TV haters here, but is encouraging to the rest of us who DO own DLP's.

To answer your question, if your HD TV broadcasts look fine then it's not the bulb. You don't indicate whether the discoloration occurs with Blu-ray movies, HD-DVD movies or both, but I'd be suspicious of the movie disks you're playing first.

Hope that helps some.

***** Lurker

Thanks R-n-T!

I believe you are correct sir. It was fine last evening. Yes, it was specifically on one movie "The Golden Compass" in bluray (not bad film - great fx). Before I fired it up last night I made sure all the HDMI Cables were secure, they seemed to be. Have you had to replace your bulb yet? I did a self calibration on my TV using the "Spyder" unit - that thing is great - so my levels are relatively low compared to most folks. I have been into this stuff for quite a while. I actually had what could be described as a Home Theater back in 1985 running a stereo VCR through my pre-amp. Definitely no complaints on the DLP.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairsonfire
    I believe you are correct sir. It was fine last evening. Yes, it was specifically on one movie "The Golden Compass" in bluray (not bad film - great fx). Before I fired it up last night I made sure all the HDMI Cables were secure, they seemed to be. Have you had to replace your bulb yet? I did a self calibration on my TV using the "Spyder" unit - that thing is great - so my levels are relatively low compared to most folks. I have been into this stuff for quite a while. I actually had what could be described as a Home Theater back in 1985 running a stereo VCR through my pre-amp. Definitely no complaints on the DLP.
    No, I haven't had to replace mine yet. I've had my DLP since March of '07 and the picture is still fine. I keep the Brightness set at "Natural" which is the lowest (I think) setting, and with local FIOS TV broadcasts, like the 10 o'clock news, the sharpness and color is pretty incredible.

Thread Information